Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 08:42 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,471,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roltec View Post
If anyone has any insight into these medical plans based on the two sheets we received, please reply or message me. Can't exactly find the same on the NYC website to compare what they cover and why some are as much as our starting paychecks and others are less/almost nothing.
I'm in the same boat

Basically, I think they put those super expensive ones on there because they had to.

The only TWO real choices we have is GHI and HIP with the $0.00 per check.

the only thing you have to figure out is which is good for you and your fam. Basically GHI = used worldwide but has a co-pay for each visit. HIP = NYC area only, but no Co-Pay for most things.

The question I CANNOT find an answer to is Prescriptions. Does what we choose for medical affect prescription coverage? Or does Local 831 take care of our prescriptions regardless of if we choose HIP or GHI?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:45 PM

144 posts, read 229,251 times
How long does it take when you get your physical results and when you get called for medical?

Old 08-09-2017, 03:29 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,970,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
I'm in the same boat

Basically, I think they put those super expensive ones on there because they had to.

the only thing you have to figure out is which is good for you and your fam. Basically GHI = used worldwide but has a co-pay for each visit. HIP = NYC area only, but no Co-Pay for most things.

The question I CANNOT find an answer to is Prescriptions. Does what we choose for medical affect prescription coverage? Or does Local 831 take care of our prescriptions regardless of if we choose HIP or GHI?
Most people OTJ have GHI... however the paid plans are used by some who have specific medical needs that perhaps GHI doesn't cover. Or perhaps the paid plan has some prescription coverage that the union doesn't cover etc.

As far as the scripts in general, your medical plan will not cover (GHI), the union provides your prescription, dental, and vision coverage.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:40 AM

271 posts, read 455,051 times
Quote:
I'm in the same boat

Im pretty sure scripts comes from the union. Im with the city now just a different agency and I have a separate card from dc37 for my scripts.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:58 AM

64 posts, read 94,148 times
I know this has most likely been asked 10,000 times
so please dont try to kill me lol but what would you
Say the average weekly take home salary is when
You first start ? Figure with Most deductions single-zero?
I know the july class people can answer this already

Old 08-10-2017, 08:49 AM

56 posts, read 82,410 times
So to answer two prior questions;

Looks like the time from taking your physical to you actually taking your medical is all based on your list number. Me as an example took the physical in the first batch, but didn't get the medical until this year. So think of it as the following from my opinion only:
2017: hired from list 1-1800 (September going from 1480's to 1800)
2018: hired range from 1-2600
2019: hired range from 1-3500

I'm being optimistic with this because with the CDL requirements changing to be 10x harder and years passing since the test making people not want to join because of possible other opportunities, etc., it might start to fly. Anyway this is only speculation based on what others have said since last year + what is happening now.

Also, to try and help with the take home pay; someone on the other forum said after taxes expect around $480 a week.

Last edited by Roltec; 08-10-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 01:54 PM

64 posts, read 94,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roltec View Post
So to answer two prior questions;

Also, to try and help with the take home pay; someone on the other forum said after taxes expect around $480 a week.
Ok thanks. Big adjustments will be getting made for alot of people for
The first few years atleast but everyone knows what they are getting
Before they start

Old 08-10-2017, 04:55 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,394,333 times
Quote:
I'm in the same boat

prescriptions are separate. Just rememeber that GHI and HIP....are both owned by Emblem Health. There's no difference in who you're dealing with so choose whichever your v doctors take and you can switch every November is you so wish it

Old 08-10-2017, 05:24 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,471,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
prescriptions are separate. Just rememeber that GHI and HIP....are both owned by Emblem Health. There's no difference in who you're dealing with so choose whichever your v doctors take and you can switch every November is you so wish it
Thanks

Old 08-10-2017, 08:48 PM

779 posts, read 1,004,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsny_future View Post
How long does it take when you get your physical results and when you get called for medical?
You been here since April, and you asked this question before, you want a different answer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City