Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 12:09 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,107,819 times

Advertisements

Instead of talking about blacks in NYC, gentrification, is this area safe, women in NYC, crime and so forth. Let's change the subject for a bit. Yes history is boring but important to know that history plays an important part I'm the development of this city. Here is a link about the oldest oldest bridge in NYC. I know most, notably Transplants will assume Brooklyn Bridge is the oldest bridge in NYC, he'll maybe in the country. But the oldest bridge is in the Bronx which used to be called the Kings bridge.

You'll Never Find The (Unofficial) Oldest Bridge In New York City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 11:10 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,624,321 times
Cool, thanks!

This bit of that article reminded me of something else interesting: "Nowadays the island of Manhattan that centers the city has been carefully sculpted and cleaned, with most traces of its more-natural past completely removed from view. If you walk through New York now, it'll seem mostly flat, and topographically it'll be pretty boring. But mountains were moved, valleys were filled in, and whole rivers were erased from the map to create that effect."

This is not 100 percent right. I remember learning about this at the Museum of the City of NY's exhibit on the grid. They deliberately flattened the island--actually they required individual property owners to do this--up until development reached the low 100s. Then around that time, New Yorkers decided that they LIKED some hills and valleys and they stopped blowing them up. So that is why upper Manhattan is so hilly--the whole island used to be like that.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:33 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,274,781 times
I would have said the High Bridge. If you're counting bridges that are buried (some sources claim dismantled as well), there's the slightly-newer Dyckman bridge nearby.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:45 PM

19,099 posts, read 14,072,848 times
There's a bridge down the block from my house, still in use, that I believe dates to before the Revolution. I'll look at the sign next time I pass. I crosses the creek that runs from Historic Richmondtown to the St. Andrew's church property. I drove over it about an hour ago coming home from NJ.

EDIT: It was built in 1845. I found a picture online. It's the Richmondtown Town Bridge on Richmond Hill Road.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:53 AM

25,424 posts, read 37,208,967 times
I cannot provide a link, but I am certain that when Canal Street was an actual CANAL, there must have been some sort of small bridges over it.
Otherwise per-revolutionary matrons would not have been able to get to Bloomingdale's.

Here's Broadway and Canal in 1811 and God knows how long that bridge had already been standing:

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-11-2014 at 06:01 AM..

Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,107,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I cannot provide a link, but I am certain that when Canal Street was an actual CANAL, there must have been some sort of small bridges over it.
Otherwise per-revolutionary matrons would not have been able to get to Bloomingdale's.

Here's Broadway and Canal in 1811 and God knows how long that bridge had already been standing:
What is amazing is that Manhattan has been terra-formed beyond belief. Manhattan used to be full of streams, lakes, woodlands and valleys and all of it seems to be erased. Also Manhattan island used to be much more thinner than today. Landfill and trash filled up much of the Manhattan shoreline. A good example of this is a Dutch ship found inside of Ground Zero, how did a Dutch ship get inside Ground Zero? The Hudson River used to wider back then compared to now thanks to landfill. If you are into video games. Their is a game called Assassins Creed 3 which takes place in revolutionary NYC, Boston and Upstate NY. NYC was almost 1 on 1 scale thanks to mapping documents from both Britain and USA of revolutionary NYC. Interesting is that in the game Canal Street used to have a fort or battery at its point. Also Their was a bridged that stretched over the Collect Pond, along with Mill Pond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City