Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 12:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,996,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
In NYC or overall? Because in NYC it looks the same rate or higher. And 20 percent below means 50 percent which isn't a good thing either.
Exactly. Nationally for Blacks it's 68%, and nationally for Hispanics it's 43%. No sane person could argue 43% is a good number. It's still a huge problem in the Hispanic community. For white women it's 26%, so that means slightly 1/4th of white kids are born to unwed mothers. Obviously that's lower than the Black or Hispanic unwed mothers, but this also points to an existence of a low class white subculture which is sizable, just not as big as the Black or Hispanic subculture.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:10 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,935,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
When it comes to having children Black and White Americans are running neck to neck. Neither group is producing enough to replace itself. Both are headed for extinction if the rates continue as they are.
This is true. So much irresponsible commentary in this thread. Black family, two children, no plans for more - and completely typical as well in a certain social and economic realm.

There are exceptions, of course. I met a couple a few weeks ago who had previous marriages, five children each, which now means ten. They are quite "secure" financially (shall we say) so that's not an issue. But it is usually the case that family size goes down with increased education, which usually means more money as well.

Regarding "thread sizes." Who has been the most frequent poster on this thread ? Because posts drive the thread size. Doesn't seem like rocket science.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:14 PM

384 posts, read 512,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdud View Post
25% lower. However, 43% is not a low rate. That's nearly half of Hispanic women, so it's not an insubstantial number. Clearly there's a large Hispanic underclass. Why do you ignore it's [sic] existence?
I don't know what to tell you as I never said the Hispanic rate was low, only that it was substantially lower than the black rate. I didn't ignore the rate. I cited it and linked to a government source that fleshes out the rates among racial demographics.

All of the out-of-wedlock rates are high now. I find the rates for caucasians particularly alarming, being caucasian myself. I would like to discuss that rate and its causes, but it's probably a topic for another thread.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post
I don't know what to tell you as I never said the Hispanic rate was low, only that it was substantially lower than the black rate. I didn't ignore the rate. I cited it and linked to a government source that fleshes out the rates among racial demographics.

All of the out-of-wedlock rates are high now. I find the rates for caucasians particularly alarming, being caucasian myself. I would like to discuss that rate and its causes, but it's probably a topic for another thread.
Oh, no, it's fair game here. So what is pushing the out of wedlock rates higher among whites, since you now have this problem in all of the groups?

Old 08-12-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
This is a lie. Hispanic women have way more kids than black women do.

Most AMERICAN black women will have one or two kids at best. Hispanic women will have 3 in back to back succession with probably a few more. Many are NOT married to the fathers and everyone knows this.

Hispanic men have children with multiple women that are NOT their "wives", but AGAIN, the focus is on black men and their OOW kids.

Many hispanic males in this city and across america are gang affiliated, high school dropouts (much moreso than black males) and use the prison system as their "vacation" home away from home all the time.

AGAIN, and I will keep REPEATING IT OVER AND OVER, but HOW COME there were hardly any comments on those three hispanic SAVAGES that beat and stomped to death a man on LIVE VIDEO when the thread was posted here?

AGAIN, AGAIN - What is non-blacks FASCINATION on CD's New York forum with BLACK people?

I still haven't received an answer from a NON-BLACK person.
I also wonder how many of those Hispanics parents get food stamps and medicaid for their children? The ones with multiple children with different men or women.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:

You should be careful to characterize your "out-of-wedlock" birthing statistics. The phrase itself conjures notions of women having illicit (read: unregulated) sex, subsequently collecting welfare, embarking on a downward slide ... and similar.

But increasingly, women are electing to have babies on their own - no accident about it. We know several such women; one is a good friend. She deferred the relationship thing for career reasons and then just did not find someone with whom she wanted to spend the rest of her life. She did, however, want a child, and she elected to do so after having established significant financial stability - in fact, stability in every way - in her own life. So ... should she be counted with the 16 year-old girl who does so for very different reasons ? Who may continue to do so, with different men ? Seems a bit counterintuitive, and it is definitely lacking a critical perspective.

Succinctly stated, citing "black," 'white," "hispanic" births tells just about nothing about what would seem to be the "problem" here - people living outside the social contract and how this connects with the unemployment rates specific to a certain race.

Always amazing to me how any sort of critical analysis is basically beyond the grasp of so many Americans. This is worsening.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:35 PM

384 posts, read 512,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You should be careful to characterize your "out-of-wedlock" birthing statistics. The phrase itself conjures notions of women having illicit (read: unregulated) sex, subsequently collecting welfare, embarking on a downward slide ... and similar.

But increasingly, women are electing to have babies on their own - no accident about it. We know several such women; one is a good friend. She deferred the relationship thing for career reasons and then just did not find someone with whom she wanted to spend the rest of her life. She did, however, want a child, and she elected to do so after having established significant financial stability - in fact, stability in every way - in her own life. So ... should she be counted with the 16 year-old girl who does so for very different reasons ? Who may continue to do so, with different men ? Seems a bit counterintuitive, and it is definitely lacking a critical perspective.

Succinctly stated, citing "black," 'white," "hispanic" births tells just about nothing about what would seem to be the "problem" here - people living outside the social contract and how this connects with the unemployment rates specific to a certain race.

Always amazing to me how any sort of critical analysis is basically beyond the grasp of so many Americans. This is worsening.
I don't disagree with any of this. I hope that isn't too upsetting for you.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:36 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,863,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Exactly. Nationally for Blacks it's 68%, and nationally for Hispanics it's 43%. No sane person could argue 43% is a good number. It's still a huge problem in the Hispanic community. For white women it's 26%, so that means slightly 1/4th of white kids are born to unwed mothers. Obviously that's lower than the Black or Hispanic unwed mothers, but this also points to an existence of a low class white subculture which is sizable, just not as big as the Black or Hispanic subculture.
The Hispanic rate is lower because of Mexican, Central and South American immigrants, they tend to be practicing Catholics. The Hispanics that have been here for awhile like Puerto Ricans, and we can also start with the young marriagable age of Dominicans, are the ones with the higher rates that drive the percentage up.

Over all less people are getting married, but parents are still raising their children together, sometimes in the same household, sometimes seperately this is true in Europe as well.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:40 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,034,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post

Regarding "thread sizes." Who has been the most frequent poster on this thread ? Because posts drive the thread size. Doesn't seem like rocket science.
You're exactly right that I'm posting a lot in THIS thread and others like it, because I'm tired of the same-o, same-o about blacks being the only ones messing up in this city as though everyone else's sins are not "that bad".

No, they are, especially hispanics. They are literally neck and neck with everything black people are accused of and in many instances and cities have surpassed us.

For years, I've seen these threads on here, would post a couple of things, then ignore them as I knew where they were headed. It's mostly this forum and San Francisco/Oakland that would have these "blacks are scary" threads as though all the other cultures were angels.

Since YOU have so much to say, then maybe you can answer for me WHY are BLACK PEOPLE so FASCINATING to NON-BLACKS on this forum?

Can you do that please? Can anyone NON-BLACK answer the above for me? Anyone at all?

This thread could be titled:

"Unemployment rates among hispanic men in NYC -The figures are unbelievable!"

"Unemployment rates among asian men in NYC -The figures are unbelievable!"

"Unemployment rates among eastern european men in NYC -The figures are unbelievable!"

And no one would give a damn.

It could even be titled:

"Unemployment rates among AFRICAN men in NYC -The figures are unbelievable!"

"Unemployment rates among CARIBBEAN men in NYC -The figures are unbelievable!"

And no one would care, because ^^these two groups are considered "harmless".

It's the BLACK AMERICAN that non-blacks like to stalk to death.

Last edited by marilyn220; 08-12-2014 at 01:42 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree with any of this. I hope that isn't too upsetting for you.
Why would that upset me ?!

It actually wasn't just directed at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City