Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:59 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,290,507 times

Advertisements

My husband has had to fight tickets for his job. Sometimes you get a judge with common sense but most of them are only worried about their employer (NYC) getting paid. Did you actually bring the invoice to support why you were there? In your OP it says you "can" support this, which to me sounds like you could have brought proof but you didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:11 PM

283 posts, read 437,481 times
It's important to read the exact statute that you've been citied as violating. There can be loopholes there that when coupled with some evidence, will dismiss the case because the statute didn't apply.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:46 PM

1,058 posts, read 2,002,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
My husband has had to fight tickets for his job. Sometimes you get a judge with common sense but most of them are only worried about their employer (NYC) getting paid. Did you actually bring the invoice to support why you were there? In your OP it says you "can" support this, which to me sounds like you could have brought proof but you didn't.

You are missing the point that the OP was breaking the law not being persecuted . It does not matter why
he was there and no judge would find that. PS maybe your husband has been in the wrong too if he has had to fight "tickets" (plural) or was he picked on too because he is ________ (fill in the blank)

Old 01-10-2014, 01:52 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,143,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpei View Post
Hi.

I would be grateful if someone can help me with this.

I received a parking ticket in an effective street cleaning zone.

I was in the driver's seat.
The engine was off.
My buddies were unloading things from the parked truck ( they were not near the truck when I received the ticket ) I can support this with the help of the customer who I was delivering things to.

Definition of parking:
Parking. "Parking" shall mean the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, otherwise
than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading property
or passengers.

Others:
The officer pretty much ignored me and refused to communicate.
No other vehicle in the same parking prohibited zone received a ticket but me ( I'm asian )

I disputed the ticket and lost:
Decision summary:
Generally, by law, a vehicle may not park or stand in a street cleaning zone, not even for the reason indicated herein by the respondent. Therefore, having someone in the vehicle does not excuse the violation. The vehicle may not be at this location at the effective time of the regulation. No legal basis to dismiss the summons has been submitted. Accordingly, the violation is sustained. ( In exact words )

Any idea or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I'm not sure what you mean by an "effective street cleaning zone". Do you mean alternate side of the street parking where parking is prohibited for a period for the express reason of street cleaning? What law/code violation was cited on the ticket?

Are you saying there were other cars parked in the same area controlled by the street sign affecting you? Were the drivers in those cars or were they unoccupied?

The decision summary sounds amateurish, "The vehicle may not be at this location at the effective time of the regulation".

How did you dispute the ticket, in person, online, or mail? What was the title of the person who adjudicated it? What borough was this?

Your story sounds very odd.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:59 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,290,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
You are missing the point that the OP was breaking the law not being persecuted . It does not matter why
he was there and no judge would find that. PS maybe your husband has been in the wrong too if he has had to fight "tickets" (plural) or was he picked on too because he is ________ (fill in the blank)

No, you're missing the point that sometimes a vehicle has to be in a no parking zone or no standing zone when there is construction needed to repair a traffic light or street light or part of a roadway. He's been doing that for years and his company is contracted to do work FOR the city. Depending on the circumstances those tickets can be squashed but it depends on the judge.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:14 PM

19,111 posts, read 12,830,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpei View Post
Generally, by law, a vehicle may not park or stand in a street cleaning zone, not even for the reason indicated herein by the respondent. Therefore, having someone in the vehicle does not excuse the violation. The vehicle may not be at this location at the effective time of the regulation. No legal basis to dismiss the summons has been submitted. Accordingly, the violation is sustained. ( In exact words )

Any idea or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
It sounds like you had a legitimate defense but did not present it in proper legal language. That's when an attorney would have come in really handy. At this point the issue is resolved (against your favor) and there's nothing you can do except appeal to a higher court, which would incur fees and a lawyer if you don't represent yourself. It's probably just too late to make this worth your while

Old 01-11-2014, 03:40 PM

1,058 posts, read 2,002,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
No, you're missing the point that sometimes a vehicle has to be in a no parking zone or no standing zone when there is construction needed to repair a traffic light or street light or part of a roadway. He's been doing that for years and his company is contracted to do work FOR the city. Depending on the circumstances those tickets can be squashed but it depends on the judge.

The OP said they were making a delivery and he was in a no parking zone , the story you presented is just made up with no basis in fact-- just stick to the facts mam and you will see the ticket stands, It was probably a sanitation cop who goes around with street sweepers and grabs people in the way,thus the language on the ticket

Old 01-11-2014, 05:30 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,776,855 times
Look at it this way. The cop could have pulled you out of the cab. Pummeled you into a pool of DNA and then fined you.

Hell, you got off easy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City