Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 24,679 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I wanted to know if I had a case here for dispute. I was parked in a diplomat spot, engine on and everything because I needed to look up directions quickly, I knew I couldn't park here but isn't want to get a ticket from double parking (oh the irony). Anyways, a police car pulls up, asks me if I'm a diplomat, and proceeds to say I'm getting a ticket after I said no. When I was trying to explain to them (him and his partner), they both ignored me, spoke to each other in Spanish and kept laughing. They started scanning my registration before they even asked me anything? After all that ignoring, they don't bother handing me the ticket, just stick it on my windshield after I've been waving at them trying to explain. Please help, $95 ticket for this is just silly.

PS: this is around 58th st in NYC, hence why I had to stop here if I wanted to look anything up.

Last edited by Andyc123; 07-13-2013 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Forgot place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 09:59 AM

2,719 posts, read 5,361,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyc123 View Post
Hello all, I wanted to know if I had a case here for dispute. I was parked in a diplomat spot, engine on and everything because I needed to look up directions quickly, I knew I couldn't park here but isn't want to get a ticket from double parking (oh the irony). Anyways, a police car pulls up, asks me if I'm a diplomat, and proceeds to say I'm getting a ticket after I said no. When I was trying to explain to them (him and his partner), they both ignored me, spoke to each other in Spanish and kept laughing. They started scanning my registration before they even asked me anything? After all that ignoring, they don't bother handing me the ticket, just stick it on my windshield after I've been waving at them trying to explain. Please help, $95 ticket for this is just silly.

PS: this is around 58th st in NYC, hence why I had to stop here if I wanted to look anything up.
There is no explanation:

By your own words you were parked in a diplomat spot.
You are not a diplomat.
You got a ticket.
Pay it.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
There is no explanation:

By your own words you were parked in a diplomat spot.
You are not a diplomat.
You got a ticket.
Pay it.
So no point in trying to at least get it reduced?

Old 07-13-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyc123 View Post
So no point in trying to at least get it reduced?
You could try, but if you answer the question "Were you parked in a diplomat spot? Are you a diplomat?" truthfully, I don't see why they'd reduce it. If you come up with some excuse like "I was lost. Never drove in that area before. I was calling someone to find out where the heck I was so I pulled over...." then maybe they'll reduce it.

I've never disputed a ticket before so I don't know how lenient the people who adjudicate these things are. You might be standing in line for hours waiting to plead your case though.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:16 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,069,538 times
Isnt engine on considered "standing" and not parking? Also, i wouldnt say i was talking on my phone with the engine on....you still can get a ticket for that, engine has to be off.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Isnt engine on considered "standing" and not parking? Also, i wouldnt say i was talking on my phone with the engine on....you still can get a ticket for that, engine has to be off.
I am not positive but I believe diplomat spots are no standing.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,146,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I am not positive but I believe diplomat spots are no standing.
Yes, they do seem to be. http://goo.gl/maps/TQEZd

Sorry, ticket is deserved. Live and learn.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,146,159 times
This is what "no standing" means:

Parking Laws: Why you Must Know the Meaning of "No Standing"

As defined in Section 4-01 of Chapter 4 of Title 34 of the Rules of the City of New York, Standing is "(1) The stopping of a vehicle,(2) whether occupied or not, (3) otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in receiving or discharging passengers." Lets dissect this definition.

(1) The stopping of a vehicle. Stopping is any halting, even momentarily of your vehicle. You can expect to feel the sting of a warrior's scanner, if you feel a sneeze coming on, and pull to the curb in a No Standing zone. The price of safety is $115 for the cost of a parking ticket. How about, "I pulled to the curb in a No Standing zone to answer my cell phone." The price of safety, and to avoid a traffic ticket for talking on your cell phone, is a $115 NYC parking ticket.

(2) Whether occupied or not. If you pull your vehicle to the curb in a No Standing zone to run into the store for "just two minutes," I promise you will find that dreaded orange envelope under the windshield wiper of your car. You violated the parking laws of NYC for No Standing.

(3) Otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in receiving or discharging passengers. I am climbing to the top of Mount Everest, and screaming at the top of my lungs, this is your get out of parking ticket jail free card. Use it wisely.

YOU ARE NOT GUILTY OF STANDING YOUR VEHICLE in a No Standing zone, if you are actively engaged in discharging or receiving a passenger. Ergo, you did not violate the NO Standing law. Again, you can't violate the parking law against No Standing when you stop temporarily (2 minutes or less) to discharge or receive a passenger.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is what "no standing" means:

Parking Laws: Why you Must Know the Meaning of "No Standing"

As defined in Section 4-01 of Chapter 4 of Title 34 of the Rules of the City of New York, Standing is "(1) The stopping of a vehicle,(2) whether occupied or not, (3) otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in receiving or discharging passengers." Lets dissect this definition.

(1) The stopping of a vehicle. Stopping is any halting, even momentarily of your vehicle. You can expect to feel the sting of a warrior's scanner, if you feel a sneeze coming on, and pull to the curb in a No Standing zone. The price of safety is $115 for the cost of a parking ticket. How about, "I pulled to the curb in a No Standing zone to answer my cell phone." The price of safety, and to avoid a traffic ticket for talking on your cell phone, is a $115 NYC parking ticket.

(2) Whether occupied or not. If you pull your vehicle to the curb in a No Standing zone to run into the store for "just two minutes," I promise you will find that dreaded orange envelope under the windshield wiper of your car. You violated the parking laws of NYC for No Standing.

(3) Otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in receiving or discharging passengers. I am climbing to the top of Mount Everest, and screaming at the top of my lungs, this is your get out of parking ticket jail free card. Use it wisely.

YOU ARE NOT GUILTY OF STANDING YOUR VEHICLE in a No Standing zone, if you are actively engaged in discharging or receiving a passenger. Ergo, you did not violate the NO Standing law. Again, you can't violate the parking law against No Standing when you stop temporarily (2 minutes or less) to discharge or receive a passenger.
Thank you so much for your input, very helpful

Old 07-13-2013, 01:14 PM

151 posts, read 405,060 times
It was an accident with unfortunate circumstances. It could have happened to any of us. Its BS the cops couldn't sow any respect towards you at all. Thats the problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City