Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 06:00 PM

237 posts, read 786,790 times

Advertisements

I just moved into a very nice condo. It's quiet and everything I am looking for. Has pool and terrace.

WELL I also discovered I have ants. I have seen them first by the washer/dryer, by the tub, and now, in the Kitchen wall by the cabinet. It' never a huge amount by I know this could be a big issue. And being that this is a condo building with over 170 condos in it, I have a feeling bugs might be around...

So my landlord who seems very helpful and efficient arranged for an exterminator to come tomorrow who said he could take care of the issue.

How effective are exterminators for getting rid of ants? I have only self remedied in the past, so I don't know how exterminators would work.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
How high up are you?

The exterminator will handle it for you but if your don't want poisons spread around, puff some boric acid into corners where you see them. (Unless you have a cat...then no boric acid.)

Old 12-30-2013, 10:21 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
I've heard the combat/raid bait traps for ants work well. Have you tried that first?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:30 AM

237 posts, read 786,790 times
I have put down several traps (Terro) and have caught a few but not many, which is unusual because usually they love the stuff.

I do have a cat, and am concerned about poisons, but I am assuming exterminators know how to deal with this stuff being that so many people have pets. I am just hoping they can eliminate the issue. I love the place otherwise, but if this is going to be an ongoing thing, I don't know if I can stay.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:

I do have a cat, and am concerned about poisons, but I am assuming
exterminators know how to deal with this stuff being that so many people have
pets.
That's a tough combo.
Insist on the exterminator using BAIT poisons in places inaccessible to your cat rather than sprays. A cat's nervous system is far less able than ours to ignore the nerve toxins that make up most of the exterminators' arsenal.

Why not try NooYowker's suggestion of the Combat baits before you call in the exterminator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City