Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 12:03 PM

424 posts, read 974,361 times

Advertisements

I have an early morning flight at 6am to travel back to see family and I'm still trying to figure out what the best way is from Sunnyside Queens to LaGuardia. It's so close by but at that time of night/ morning it's a bit hard to get around since everything is running on a reduced schedule and cabs are sparse.

Originally I planned to catch a cab on Queens Blvd around 4:30am then remembered last year when I also had an early flight and lived in Astoria, there weren't a lot of cabs at such an early morning -there were barely any cars at 31st and Broadway... Kind of eerie. Maybe the M60 bus down Astoria Blvd? But that requires taking the 7 then transferring at Queensboro Plaza to the N or Q and waiting in the cold for ? mins. I can't remember if the fast track shutdown is still going on with overnight construction after 10pm. If not the subway doesn't run that often between 12-5am so if my timings off there's the possibility of missing my flight.

Maybe just sleeping over at LaGuardia the night before is the best way to go and is the least hassle free? Any recommendations? I wish the city would build a subway extension to LaGuardia or put in a tram like JFK did.

Last edited by ehanson; 11-25-2013 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 12:28 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
Can't you just do a car service?

Old 11-25-2013, 12:32 PM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Can't you just do a car service?
My thoughts exactly!

Old 11-25-2013, 12:32 PM

912 posts, read 2,100,059 times
If I were you I would take the 7 to 61st street and jump on the bus to LaGuardia right outside the station. You can check the bus schedule online.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
My thoughts exactly!
Aren't car services expensive though? I know Dial 7 is reasonable but they might charge more for picking passengers up at early morning off peak hours.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 PM

290 posts, read 688,893 times
Yeah, car service first option..so u can just call ahead. Otherwise I second the 7 train to 61st, and then take the Q70 which just stops at 74th St/Jackson Heights, and then straight to the airport. I took it once and it's super fast, about 15 min. It runs all night and at that time of the morning I think every 30 min..so probably catch the 4:30 if u took that route.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:07 PM

912 posts, read 2,100,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown native View Post
Yeah, car service first option..so u can just call ahead. Otherwise I second the 7 train to 61st, and then take the Q70 which just stops at 74th St/Jackson Heights, and then straight to the airport. I took it once and it's super fast, about 15 min. It runs all night and at that time of the morning I think every 30 min..so probably catch the 4:30 if u took that route.
There's a new bus that goes from 61st street to LaGuardia, no reason to waste money on a car

Old 11-25-2013, 02:24 PM

290 posts, read 688,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
There's a new bus that goes from 61st street to LaGuardia, no reason to waste money on a car
Correct..that's the Q70 that I mentioned. Just depends on the OP's feeling towards timing. Doing a train to bus while the actual ride time is minor, the wait time for everything at that time of the morning if it's not planned exactly could take a while. So just depends what the OP wants to do..as always, pay $$ for convenience of a car, or take the time & spend less $.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown native View Post
Correct..that's the Q70 that I mentioned. Just depends on the OP's feeling towards timing. Doing a train to bus while the actual ride time is minor, the wait time for everything at that time of the morning if it's not planned exactly could take a while. So just depends what the OP wants to do..as always, pay $$ for convenience of a car, or take the time & spend less $.
The 7 train to the Q70 bus is the way to go from Sunnyside to LaGuardia, could even walk to the bus stop (probably not given the cold temps).

I think the best option for getting timing right is to leave before 1am since the Q70 runs more frequently which reduces time spent waiting. Though, that means sitting around at LaGuardia until boarding begins at 5:30am... But it also means a lot less stress with getting to the gate on time that my original plan would create; I'll already be there anyway. Plus, more time to sleep

The lesson here is to pay more for flights that don't take off at the crack of dawn and book early. Christmas I'll treat myself to a private car service to make up for having to play the waiting game at one of the most disliked airports.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:48 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
Aren't car services expensive though? I know Dial 7 is reasonable but they might charge more for picking passengers up at early morning off peak hours.
Look at your local car service providers in S-Side first. I know in Kew Gardens the KG Taxi was around $15 to JFK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City