Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 02:50 PM

8 posts, read 12,025 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I live in the West Bronx currently and I'm a recent graduate of SVA (Bachelor's degree in Illustration). I've done a lot of work with the AMNH on a volunteer basis, including helping to restore the Hall of North American Mammals.

I really want to teach a class on sculpting animal anatomy for creature design. Unfortunately I think my young age (23) and subsequent lack of experience may exclude me from teaching this at a college or even public school, and I live in a small studio apartment with my s/o so I don't really have the space to hold the class at my apartment.

All I need is a space (a medium/large room with tables in it) to teach the class and I'd be fine. I've given the class a huge amount of thought and I certainly know what I'm doing in regards to the technical aspects of the art, etc., and I have written a proposal and a materials list. I've been looking into classes at community centers and I've submitted an inquiry letter (today) to the Riverdale Community Center and the 92nd Street Y. I'm a little confused though and I'm not sure what other places accept class proposals and the like. Does anyone have any ideas about other specific places I could look into for proposing this class? Maybe specific community centers, or churches, or libraries, etc.? Preferably in Manhattan or the Riverdale, Bronx area. I suspect there are some places in Brooklyn but I would be carrying a lot of supplies along with me and the trek from the Bronx to Brooklyn is hardly an easy one as it is (and I don't have a car).

Many many thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,955,271 times
I would contact the public library branches, especially in Queens - the most programs.
The big Bronx library (off Fordham Road) also had many programs at one time.

There are sometimes things posted on the New York Foundation for the Arts web site.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,186,722 times
There are art workshops at Wave Hill, but not sure how competitive it is to get a position.

Also, I know you said you don't want to travel to Brooklyn, but I think you can propose an art class at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:24 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,786,304 times
Maybe you can ask your landlord if you can rent out the basement from time to time.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 PM

11,662 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Perhaps, The Learning Annex? The NY Public Library does offer some art classes in their branches, but never saw anything more messy than painting classes. You would have to inquire at various branches. It would be a good teen program. You could also try various Ys. I know my own kid would probably love this type of class, but the Bronx is too far.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 AM

43,834 posts, read 44,607,923 times
If you were willing to travel to Williamsburg Brooklyn and have the budget you could probably find a suitable space there.

Otherwise, perhaps the Bronx Botanical Gardens, your local libraries and local community centers as well continuing education programs of colleges near you.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,186,722 times
Maybe this place too Bronx River Art Center :: Education :: Adult Classes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: