Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:42 AM

966 posts, read 2,445,737 times

Advertisements

Not simply African-Americans but also those of us who come from or have roots in the Caribbean, Latin America, or Africa?

Being the first generation in my mother's side of the family to be born in the States, I consider myself to be African-American, but I also have cultural roots in the Caribbean. I am also studying Spanish (the language and the cultures). I am a college instructor, community/nonprofit educator, and poet/performer who teaches and performs in genuinely multicultural/international settings. I get along with people of all nationalities, but my experience here in Madison, Wisconsin has taught me that even if the population is gradually diversifying, being one of very few Black professionals (let alone artists) can be a daily challenge. I could tell you stories.

I am pretty independent, and I don't mind standing out a bit. Still, I would prefer to live in a community within a reasonable commuting distance to Manhattan where I am not considered a cultural anomaly. lol. A community in which I could sit comfortably in a little cafe, diner, or restaurant to study, grade papers, write, prepare for upcoming shows, etc. without having to break the rules or social barriers. That just gets a little old, you know?

Anything you can tell me about Sunnyside or Woodside in terms of current demographics would be helpful. I am also still open to suggestions re other boroughs or communities that might be a good fit. Thanks so much.

Edit: I really hope this question doesn't offend anyone. I just don't want to jump from frying pan A to frying pan B.

Last edited by Nala8; 05-30-2010 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 11:01 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
You can find demographics by zip code at https://www.city-data.com/
If you are concerned that you won't be welcomed because you are black, don't worry about it. I am in and out of those areas all the time and have never had a problem. It's a big melting pot and people get along. Heck, given all of the brown people here, I think half the time no one knows who is what!!!
The Jackson Heights Historic District is another neighborhood to consider, just two train stops to the east of central Woodside.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:35 AM

Oops! Correction: Second generation. (Sorry, Mom. Mea culpa.)

Old 05-30-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
You can find demographics by zip code at https://www.city-data.com/
If you are concerned that you won't be welcomed because you are black, don't worry about it. I am in and out of those areas all the time and have never had a problem. It's a big melting pot and people get along. Heck, given all of the brown people here, I think half the time no one knows who is what!!!
The Jackson Heights Historic District is another neighborhood to consider, just two train stops to the east of central Woodside.
Hello queensgrl. Thanks a lot. Great post, and such a relief. I really am leaning towards Queens. Yes, I was starting to be concerned about racial differences, as well as class differences. I appreciate your description of this big melting pot. lol.

Btw, how much time would it take for me to ride a train from Jackson Heights to midtown (where I work)?

Last edited by Nala8; 05-30-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 05-30-2010, 12:02 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Hello queensgrl. Thanks a lot. Great post, and such a relief. I really am leaning towards Queens. Yes, I was starting to be concerned about racial differences, as well as class differences. I appreciate your description of this big melting pot. lol.

Btw, how much time would it take for me to ride a train from Jackson Heights to midtown (where I work)?
20 minutes.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
20 minutes.
Hey! Not bad at all. Very cool.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:20 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
"Is there a significant amount of middle-class or working-class Black people in Sunnyside or Woodside?"

Yes, in the Woodside Houses. It has 20 6 story buildings. It's one of the smallest of the housing projects in NYC.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
"Is there a significant amount of middle-class or working-class Black people in Sunnyside or Woodside?"

Yes, in the Woodside Houses. It has 20 6 story buildings. It's one of the smallest of the housing projects in NYC.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see how a project could fit the bill here. Aren't projects generally for low-income residents? Could it be, on the other hand, that Woodside Houses is like Parkchester in the Bronx? Explain?

Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my original post. It's not that I want to live in an area or development set aside for Black people. I like the idea of living in a neighborhood that is a true melting pot--one in which I won't stand out like a sore thumb.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:02 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see how a project could fit the bill here. Aren't projects generally for low-income residents? Could it be, on the other hand, that Woodside Houses is like Parkchester in the Bronx? Explain?

Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my original post. It's not that I want to live in an area or development set aside for Black people. I like the idea of living in a neighborhood that is a true melting pot--one in which I won't stand out like a sore thumb.
A lot of people who live in the projects work, but like others have said on this thread Woodside is a melting pot these days, not as much as Elmhurst though. You won't have any trouble in either Woodside or Sunnyside.

I didn't mean that you wanted to live in the projects, I apologize if it came out that way. I misunderstood you. There isn't a significant black middle or working class in either Woodside or Sunnyside.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
I'm not black so can't speak to how it feels to be black in these communities, but I will say that there are so many skin colors, national outfits, languages spoken, etc. that it feels to me that people don't really look twice at much of anything regarding ethnicity in these areas.

There are more non-whites than whites, but of the non-whites, not that many seem to be black. This is based on observation and not any research.

One thing I like about these areas (Woodside, Sunnyside, Jackson Heights) is the feeling that you could go to the grocery store dressed in your pajamas, speaking a language no one had ever heard before, and you could still buy your milk and paper towels without attacting any attention or getting any weird looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City