Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 10:37 AM

6 posts, read 18,931 times

Advertisements

Can my husband and I survive? Would we be able to live in Manhattan at all? We have friends in Washington Heights and Gramercy Park.

If not, where do you recommend we look. We pay $2K rent out here in LA on my crappy salary.

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 12:10 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,929 times
New York City is not a third world country. You'll survive. The real question is will you be just as comfortable here as you are in Los Angeles. Also, where is your job in the city? Are you planning to bring your car (not necessary).

Washington Heights is not a bad area (living west of Broadway will be quieter than living east of Broadway) but it is not a "hip" area that everyone who moves to the city immediately wants to live. You get more for your money there and can have a nicely renovated two bedroom in one of the buildings on Fort Washington for about $2200. But you will be further away from the "central areas" of Manhattan. Gramercy is expensive, especially when compared to Washington Heights. A nice doorman studio will set you back $2300, a doorman one bedroom will be around $3200. If your husband gets a job and is making more than 50K a year here, based on the 40x the rent rule, you will be able to afford this area assuming your monthly debt service is not to high.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:42 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,985,674 times
yes you can easily live in Wash H for 100k although you might have to give up your car

if you both work then it's even easier

but are you sure the money is worth the lifestyle switch? your question seems awfully one dimensional (hence why some of us wonder if you're a troll...). do you like driving and sunshine and beaches or theater and public transit and urban life?

Old 09-07-2013, 05:02 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,583,220 times
I've known a few people to move from LA to NYC and vice versa and most moved back to where they were from after a couple years. The differences in the cities (how people get around, climate, even types of people, etc) made it difficult for them.

Yes, you can survive on $100k.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:59 PM

I've been in LA for the last 35 years of my life. I'm 40. I think we need a change. I'm actually from Manhattan but my family moved here when I was little. I live in downtown LA which is like a bad caricature of NYC. But it's as close as we get out here. My husband is an artist.

We don't need anything fancy. I don't mind giving up the car. I didn't have a car for a while out here and made it work and it's 10,000x harder to do that out here.

I do appreciate the advice. I'm not a troll. I got this crazy offer out of the blue and I'm really considering it even thought it will be chaotic for a bit.

I apologize if the writing on my first post wasn't too graceful.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:11 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,242,166 times
Go for it!

Old 09-07-2013, 06:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
If you want to be near your friends, Washington Heights or Inwood would definitely do-able on $100K, even if you are supporting your husband (unclear what his income is like from your posts). Also recommend getting rid of the car. Have you talked to your friends in Wash. Heights yet? Can you make a trip out before making the final decision on the job?

Old 09-07-2013, 09:31 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,451,107 times
The main issue with living in washington heights is having friends who live far off elsewhere so that you seldom go out to meet them and they seldom come to you. However, since you already have friends living up there, then this really shouldn't be a huge issue anymore. Gramercy for two people on 100k combined is a bit rougher unless the two of you are open to living in a small studio apartmert.

How much of a rise in salary are you getting? That should be a big factor in figuring out if it's worth it monetarily after a cost of living adjustment. Also, what are you into? Does nyc, or the neighborhoods you're looking into offer more or better of what you like or want than LA does?

Old 09-07-2013, 10:02 PM

Those are good questions. I make 60K right now in LA, and pay $2K for rent including parking, stupid I know. I used to make more before the recession and have been too lazy to move. And my husband used to work for The Simpsons which paid a lot before he got laid off.

We just feel stagnant out here. We're ready for something different.

Are there other neighborhoods in and around Manhattan that are priced similarly to Washington Heights that we should look into?

Old 09-08-2013, 04:17 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yernar View Post
I've been in LA for the last 35 years of my life. I'm 40. I think we need a change. I'm actually from Manhattan but my family moved here when I was little. I live in downtown LA which is like a bad caricature of NYC. But it's as close as we get out here. My husband is an artist.

We don't need anything fancy. I don't mind giving up the car. I didn't have a car for a while out here and made it work and it's 10,000x harder to do that out here.

I do appreciate the advice. I'm not a troll. I got this crazy offer out of the blue and I'm really considering it even thought it will be chaotic for a bit.

I apologize if the writing on my first post wasn't too graceful.
How did you get this offer out of the blue? what industry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City