Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:40 PM

6 posts, read 18,936 times

Advertisements

Hello. My family might be relocating to New York, and we were wondering how safe it is, and specifically how safe the public transit system is. Can anyone help us in that regard? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 09:52 PM

842 posts, read 4,311,740 times
^Where? You got to give us a lot more than that

Old 11-04-2007, 10:51 PM

6 posts, read 18,936 times
Well, I think we would live in either Queens or Brooklyn. I don't know much past that. But just the transit system in general. How safe? Thx.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:01 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,380,155 times
Pretty safe. It really depends upon what neighborhood you'll be living in though. That determines the level of safety.

Queens is a pretty good bet. With Brooklyn some parts are really nice, other parts are pretty ghetto.

So nobody will be able to fully answer your question until you find a location that you are interested in moving to.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:03 AM

32 posts, read 93,571 times
Transportation wise it really does depend where you live in Queens/Brooklyn because if you work in Manhattan there are often Expresses buses which are good but a long ride. The trains are pretty good but some are packed at Rush hour time. As far as crime, as long are your cautious of your surroundings I would say NYC transit is pretty safe. Being a single woman, I would not ride the trains when they are not full but move to a full train because that's just dumb. Crime has been pretty low for such a large city's transportation so you should feel a bit safe but always be aware. Hope this helps.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:07 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,805,028 times
It honestly depends on the area. However in reality crime is an issue across the system.

Some lines are more dangerous then others depending on what areas they serve. Some lines take on a lot of JHS/HS students that like to act pretty wild on the trains. They can be a real pain in the ass. Other lines serve low income areas and can have a lot of trouble makers especially in the evening through the night.

Overall the biggest risk in the subways is robbery, it's pretty common. There are things you can do to lower this risk. Don't flash electronics, you will see a lot of people doing it but trust me just keep it in your pocket. There is no reason to have an iPod in your hand unless you really want some kid to run by and snatch it.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:17 PM

I received a comment from someone who disliked that I see the train system as actually safe. Their comment:
Quote:
braging about safety in a system that is NOT one of the safest in america does not help answer the question.
Interesting because statistically NYC transit system has seen a DECREASE in crime in the subways. With 4.5 million passenger trips per day, its a wonder that there isn't more crime but alas the person to comment that doesn't know about statistics or want to even consider a lone woman's word who has used the trains at all hours. I never said the subway system was completely safe since when are you ever safe anywhere. You always take precautions which is what I stated, as far as it being the 'worst in america' ? Well I didn't know in the United States there was another transit system as ELABORATE or ranked among the largest transit systems in the world as ours so how could you say its the worst in america? I say reconsider your statements next time you rate me negatively.

Last edited by Agrotera; 11-06-2007 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: more

Old 11-06-2007, 08:33 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrotera View Post
I received a comment from someone who disliked that I see the train system as actually safe. Their comment: Interesting because statistically NYC transit system has seen a DECREASE in crime in the subways. With 4.5 million passenger trips per day, its a wonder that there isn't more crime but alas the person to comment that doesn't know about statistics or want to even consider a lone woman's word who has used the trains at all hours. I never said the subway system was completely safe since when are you ever safe anywhere. You always take precautions which is what I stated, as far as it being the 'worst in america' ? Well I didn't know in the United States there was another transit system as ELABORATE or ranked among the largest transit systems in the world as ours so how could you say its the worst in america? I say reconsider your statements next time you rate me negatively.

statistics are great until you become one, a woman travelling on the subways at off hours is well on her way to becoming a statistic

Old 11-06-2007, 08:49 PM

Being a statistic depends on how ignorant you are or lack of common sense of the situation your in. Such as: It would be stupid of me to ride an empty train at any time of day so unless your not so smart then I guess some ppl should take a cab or don't leave the house. I have ridden the trains all my life and know when a place is safe and another is not. Just because I am a woman doesn't mean I don't know my way around the city.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,164,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
statistics are great until you become one, a woman travelling on the subways at off hours is well on her way to becoming a statistic
What does *that* mean ' "well on her way to being a statistic"???? Does that mean that a woman, or a man, for that matter, who lives in NYC is also 'well on his/her way to being a statistic" because there are crimes that happen on the streets of NY during the day, and if you live there, you might turn into a victim? How about if you cross the street as a pedestrian while there are cars driving around? Does that mean you are well on your way to being hit by a car?

This logic just doesn't make any sense.

What does make sense is knowing that MOST people in NY are not the victims of crime on the subways, though staying aware, using caution and understanding your environment are important. I will never get into an empty car, either. If a subway is mostly empty and you have to ride it, get on the car where the conductor is riding, or use the front car where the driver is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City