Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:21 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times

Advertisements

While I never enjoy seeing bicyclists or pedestrians killed, whenever I deal with it I usually feel nothing at all. Most people, no matter how they die, seem to have made some terriblr mistake to help it along. That's been my observation at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 10:25 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The collision in which a young woman lost her life is a terrible thing to have happen, but looking at the pictures from the article, I see no lights of any kind on the bicycle, nor any mounting brackets for lights. Lacking such safety equipment and riding at night in a complex urban environment? That's an accident waiting to happen, even if one has on a reflective vest and helmet-mounted headlight. No mention of safety equipment was noted, but at 9:20pm, the time of the accident, why are there no lights on that bicycle? Bicycle safety tends to be excused, and it's the bicyclist who ends up on the losing end of an accident, regardless as to who was correct in a given accident, merely by the physics involved in the accident when struck by a heavier object that is likely moving at a higher rate of speed.

The Citibikes are actually better in this regard as they have flashing LEDs when the bicycle is in motion, though there should be a steady stationary light when the cyclist is obeying traffic laws and stopping for lights and stop signs. It is not easy to see a bicycle with no lights on it at night, especially on Park Avenue at 125th because of the complexities of Park Avenue at that intersection. It's even dangerous for pedestrians and other cyclists to contend with bicycles lacking basic safety equipment for night riding.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-08-2013, 12:41 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
125th is a damn drop zone. Sad to see it at times, but you get used to it- because Pedestrians (especially in the rain) and Bicyclists think they're immune to the rules of the road.

I've seen dozens of peds die on 125th because they run out in traffic, jaywalk, or bike aggressively in a ridiculously crowded street with some wonky drivers.

I know running a red light could cause an accident for me and god forbid someone else- and I never do it even in safe conditions because I -know- I'll be ticketed and fined... of course the NYPD doesn't want the gruff from ticketing jaywalkers in NYC, so they make it a habit- and few stand up to a Crown Vic.

125th needs those elevated walkways like they have in Vegas.
Maybe you could fund it with Jaywalker tickets.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:20 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The collision in which a young woman lost her life is a terrible thing to have happen, but looking at the pictures from the article, I see no lights of any kind on the bicycle, nor any mounting brackets for lights. Lacking such safety equipment and riding at night in a complex urban environment? That's an accident waiting to happen, even if one has on a reflective vest and helmet-mounted headlight. No mention of safety equipment was noted, but at 9:20pm, the time of the accident, why are there no lights on that bicycle? Bicycle safety tends to be excused, and it's the bicyclist who ends up on the losing end of an accident, regardless as to who was correct in a given accident, merely by the physics involved in the accident when struck by a heavier object that is likely moving at a higher rate of speed.
I agree that lights are critical at night. However we do not know if this young women was wearing a helmet, or of she had mounted lights on that helmet. Not a lot of information about that collision. Multiple news sources have conflicting details. According to the NYC Daily News she was clipped from the rear by a closely following cab, followed by colliding with an Eastbound taxi.

Quote:
The Citibikes are actually better in this regard as they have flashing LEDs when the bicycle is in motion, though there should be a steady stationary light when the cyclist is obeying traffic laws and stopping for lights and stop signs. It is not easy to see a bicycle with no lights on it at night, especially on Park Avenue at 125th because of the complexities of Park Avenue at that intersection. It's even dangerous for pedestrians and other cyclists to contend with bicycles lacking basic safety equipment for night riding.
A solid red when the bicycle is at a complete stop may sound good in theory but a blinking light is more noticeable from a smaller source, especially in bad weather.

Park Ave is dangerous for everyone. It needs to be re evaluated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
125th is a damn drop zone. Sad to see it at times, but you get used to it- because Pedestrians (especially in the rain) and Bicyclists think they're immune to the rules of the road.

I've seen dozens of peds die on 125th because they run out in traffic, jaywalk, or bike aggressively in a ridiculously crowded street with some wonky drivers.

I know running a red light could cause an accident for me and god forbid someone else- and I never do it even in safe conditions because I -know- I'll be ticketed and fined... of course the NYPD doesn't want the gruff from ticketing jaywalkers in NYC, so they make it a habit- and few stand up to a Crown Vic.

125th needs those elevated walkways like they have in Vegas.
Maybe you could fund it with Jaywalker tickets.
Aggressive traffic calming would reduce deaths along 125th St significantly. Park Ave would be a good place to start. SBS lanes would go a long way to prevent double parking, which causes a lot of the problems at least during operational hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City