Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:38 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,306,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
Lmao what is the definition of gritty in your book ?
You walk on 8th above 34th and see gritty... Basically drab old and depressing... A lot of the building stock in that area is certainly gritty.... Luckily they are starting to tear down the older buildings for newer and more brighter construction...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 AM

912 posts, read 2,101,242 times
Grovesnor....no...Corona Queens could be called gritty....not 8th avenue above 34th street...

Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,246,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
You walk on 8th above 34th and see gritty... Basically drab old and depressing... A lot of the building stock in that area is certainly gritty.... Luckily they are starting to tear down the older buildings for newer and more brighter construction...
I can't believe you prefer the new buildings going up to the old ones.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:43 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,003,647 times
Quote:
Above 34th and 8th is no more gritty than 6th Avenue above 34th and 6th. I'm there regularly. You do hae older office buildings, but they aren't decaying. You have major businesses like Starbucks, Staples, McDonalds, etc in the area. Its not gritty at all.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Above 34th and 8th is no more gritty than 6th Avenue above 34th and 6th. I'm there regularly. You do hae older office buildings, but they aren't decaying. You have major businesses like Starbucks, Staples, McDonalds, etc in the area. Its not gritty at all.
You mean as in recently with the addition of new buildings or what because I would disagree with that. 8th has generally been seedier... More XXX shops and people trying to hustle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I can't believe you prefer the new buildings going up to the old ones.
Not necessarily, but they are better than the old drab buildings in some cases...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Grovesnor....no...Corona Queens could be called gritty....not 8th avenue above 34th street...
From 36th up to 42nd and 8th is certainly gritty and dirty. Lots of action going on with people hustling too... Shall we go for a stroll via Google maps??

Old 06-01-2013, 10:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,562,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
Lmao what is the definition of gritty in your book ?
For eight avenue, well there's a bunch of strip clubs and XXX video shops. And a fraction of the people there look, umm, less than genteel. And in general grimmier with cheap stores. But I can't find any of the p0rn shops on streetview. Used to walk on 8th avenue by midtown regularly 5-10 years ago. Not really sketchy (maybe at 2 am) but noticeably different than 7th or 6th. Apparently a lot are gone:

EV Grieve: The World of DVD is closing: So how many adult shops are left on Eighth Avenue?

Midtown is missing its p0rn district. What kinda center city district is this now?!

Old 06-01-2013, 10:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,562,463 times
Quote:

From 36th up to 42nd and 8th is certainly gritty and dirty. Lots of action going on with people hustling too... Shall we go for a stroll via Google maps??
I tried... couldn't find anything. Would be interested if you could find something.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:37 AM

573 posts, read 1,463,355 times
Quote:
Well...I guess we don't have the same perception of whats gritty...

Old 06-01-2013, 10:40 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,356,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan View Post
Hello,

Back in 2011, I heard someone say that 23rd street between 8th and 9th Avenues is bad. I looked up the area on Google street view and it looks alright to me, but since appearances can be deceiving I thought I would ask here if the area is truly bad or not.
It wasn't bad back in 2011 and it isn't bad now.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-01-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
For eight avenue, well there's a bunch of strip clubs and XXX video shops. And a fraction of the people there look, umm, less than genteel. And in general grimmier with cheap stores. But I can't find any of the p0rn shops on streetview. Used to walk on 8th avenue by midtown regularly 5-10 years ago. Not really sketchy (maybe at 2 am) but noticeably different than 7th or 6th. Apparently a lot are gone:

EV Grieve: The World of DVD is closing: So how many adult shops are left on Eighth Avenue?

Midtown is missing its p0rn district. What kinda center city district is this now?!
This is exactly how I remember 8th Avenue and in fact I was over there recently... Didn't see any XXX shops, but it still felt grimmy to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: