Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,644 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a single mom moving from Kansas to New York. I'm probably crazy to think I can do this alone but I have faith that somehow everything will work out. My daughter received a scholarship from Parson's and has been living in Manhattan since August. She loves the school and the city but is too homesick to stay. I can't let her give up her dream so I'm going to move to NY in December. I would be grateful for any advice from the east coast gentle souls. The specifics:

There will be 3 of us. I have another daughter, 14 years old, excellent student and dancer. The area highschools will be important.

We have 3 small dogs, (under 5 lbs each), one big dog (200 lbs) and three cats which probably will make renting hard or impossible. If I have to, I can give up all but the 3 small dogs.

My daughter is willing to commute to Parsons 1 hour.

I'm already paying $2,000.00 a month for her housing in Manhattan so anything between $2,000 to $3,000 a month for all of us would be a bargain.

I've researched buying and/or renting on the internet and it is discouraging. I don't know where to start so I am open to any suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,952,296 times
I'm assuming you're looking for two bedrooms...so you might want to try Queens or one of the other boroughs. And to rent you're going to have to provide proof of income/employment. Do check out the high schools in every area, however. There are some awful schools in NYC.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:13 AM

191 posts, read 901,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleSoul View Post
Hi, I'm a single mom moving from Kansas to New York. I'm probably crazy to think I can do this alone but I have faith that somehow everything will work out. My daughter received a scholarship from Parson's and has been living in Manhattan since August. She loves the school and the city but is too homesick to stay. I can't let her give up her dream so I'm going to move to NY in December. I would be grateful for any advice from the east coast gentle souls. The specifics:

There will be 3 of us. I have another daughter, 14 years old, excellent student and dancer. The area highschools will be important.

We have 3 small dogs, (under 5 lbs each), one big dog (200 lbs) and three cats which probably will make renting hard or impossible. If I have to, I can give up all but the 3 small dogs.

My daughter is willing to commute to Parsons 1 hour.

I'm already paying $2,000.00 a month for her housing in Manhattan so anything between $2,000 to $3,000 a month for all of us would be a bargain.

I've researched buying and/or renting on the internet and it is discouraging. I don't know where to start so I am open to any suggestions. Thanks!
Unless you're truly looking for an urban experience, i'd take the 3000/mo and go buy a house in NJ most highschools in ny arent that good. not to say they are all horrible, but they ALL are extremely overcrowded. its very easy for a kid, even a great one, to just get lost.
When i say over crowded, i dont meant by a few kids. Schools that were built to accommodate 2500 kids now have 4500, and thats the norm.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:02 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,253,462 times
She said the daughter is a dancer maybe she can get into LaGuardia. Which is one of the better high schools in the city.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:32 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,338,636 times
What is parsons for again?

Yeh I think the burbs would be better. It would be better for your youngest.

Your eldest can always come and visit you. It is very common around here.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,671,574 times
Live in the suburbs. Don't ditch your animals, please.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:01 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,504,515 times
For the burbs... Maybe something like White Plains or New Rochelle. New Rochelle is about 5 minutes from the Bronx and White Plains is about 15-25 minutes. White Plains has a better school district, though, I believe. New Rochelle will be more urban-residential... More apartments, houses that are closer together. White Plains has that, but also has many mansions, houses with big yards, and more green space.

For Manhattan... The Upper East Side or Upper West Side, definitely. Better schools, next to Central Park, walk to Midtown, public transportation, world-class restaurants, theatre, and museums. For $2,000-$3,000, you should be able to find a 2br place, but it'll be small.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:53 PM

149 posts, read 458,559 times
I do not live in the city but I am on here researching myself. I would however like to throw in my 2 cents. Have you considered that your daughter moved away from Kansas for a reason? Even though she's homesick maybe the last thing she would want is to have her Mother follow her across the country.

Also, and I'll admit I'm jumping to conclusions, if you are willing to just 'get rid' of all those animals than in my opinion you need to check yourself. Much like I am doing now while writing this and thinking about a grown woman giving her pets away.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:05 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,677,642 times
If moving to the burbs, be aware of them property taxes!!!!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:11 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,625,074 times
I am sure you can find deals in Brooklyn. The borough also has good dog friendly neighborhoods. So I am sure you will find a place that accepts dogs. You should travel first before you move here and visit these neighborhoods. Places like Park Slope, Carrol Gardens, Cobble Hill and Brooklyn Heights and any other streets in closer neighborhoods that are closer to these good neighborhoods will be the best places to look for spacious apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City