Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Stop and Frisk act?
Yes 48 48.00%
No 52 52.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 01:30 PM

432 posts, read 611,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
I support this and I am the same color of people that are getting stop. So now I am racist? Hahaha

Anyway, if I live in a ridden crime poor neighborhoods and the community adapts to the 'Don't Snitch' mentality for years, then this 'Stop & Frisk' is what ends up happening. Think of all the straight bullets that will hit innocent people, little kids, that didn't happened because Cops confiscated some of these weapons from these young people. And think of how many young people (criminal themselves) are saved from these bullets. If you live in these type of communities something drastic needs to be done. Too many young people killing themselves and shooting others by mistake for DECADES!

It sucks but it needs to happened. So many Decades of gun violence and so many unnecessary lost of lives. If I lived in these neighborhoods and I fit the profile of young angry looking male with a Hoodie, then I need to cooperate. It is like checking for weapons at the airport that we all have to go through because of a mistake by others (terrorists). Where is the 4th Amendment there? There is no arguing, causing a commotion, and getting Cops to arrest you for it.

If you want to think personal, my aunts Bronx ex-neighbor's son got kill back in 1998 on a shooting 2 blocks from his home. I met the kid when he was a little kid. Anyway, my cousins are getting involve in gangs and I am pretty sure they might be packing weapons or their 'Homies'. I stop getting involve with them long time ago but I talk to my aunt once in awhile. Hopefully the Cops stop and frisk them before something bad happens to them or other people.

I know people will disagree with me but if they can keep guns off the streets (or discourage young males to carry guns) then maybe my cousins and others like them will not be victims of this epidemic Gun Violence.

Maybe there is abuse from a few cops that need to be addressed and need to be investigated. But the implementation of 'Stop & Frisk' will help keep these crime ridden communities safer than before.
Dude they are doing it to blacks everywhere. I seen it done to a black guy in SoHo and Midtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 01:39 PM

235 posts, read 374,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Dude they are doing it to blacks everywhere. I seen it done to a black guy in SoHo and Midtown.
Hmmm... Ok... I live in Midtown and this has not happened to me. I only got stop going to take the subway once and they wanted to see my bag.

Now I do have witness Cops stop people (usually lots of young Blacks) in Times Square that get into fights and arguments but that is about it.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:09 PM

73,083 posts, read 62,717,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
Hmmm... Ok... I live in Midtown and this has not happened to me. I only got stop going to take the subway once and they wanted to see my bag.

Now I do have witness Cops stop people (usually lots of young Blacks) in Times Square that get into fights and arguments but that is about it.
Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it can't happen. I learned that the hard way. Granted, the police were not involved. However, it did involve someone treating me like a suspect even though I did nothing wrong. I was in a bookstore one afternoon, dressed like I came from church. The clerk followed me around the store. I was the only Black person in the store amidst White people, some of them dressed like skateboarders. It was me who was singled out and followed around in the store. I left the store, vowing never to shop there again because I figured if they would treat me like that, then they wouldn't get one copper penny from me.

And remember this, if it can be done to a Black guy, it could get done to a White guy next. Just because Blacks get pulled over and randomly searched more, doesn't mean it can't happen to Whites next.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
It can happen anywhere.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:47 AM

770 posts, read 1,132,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
^^^ It's already been proven that it doesn't work. The statistics show that very very few of the people stopped are actually arrested for anything and most of the arrest usually end up being for possesion of MJ.

There are always going to be people on the wrong side of history. If you ever wondered how so many "good" people could condone things like Jim Crow well now you see it in practice with this stop & frisk B.S.
Dude, its the chilling effect that works. If a perp thinks he/she is going to be stopped and frisked in a certain neighborhood, they often won't go there. Simple as that.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:01 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,387,879 times
I am totally against this policy, most obviously because it is against our consitutional rights! Kinda like someone saying to a black person" you cant vote because alot of blacks are causing crime and we dont want them to congregate on the voting lines"!!!!!

But let me put it in other terms:

If you like S&F, then you must also like cops going into your home and searching anytime because of peeling paint or weeds in front, for as long as they like, every inch, every bank statement, every laptop, everything you have in there, because "they will eventually find a weapon, or drugs, and therefore reduce crime." Clearly this is a great policy and will lead to a reduction in crime, and if you dont want this policy it only means you have something to hide!

See the problem here? If you dont, you probably need to move to China where you can enjoy all the freedoms and rights associated with not having any freedoms or rights.

We already know S&F does not reduce crime, and that is based on the NYPDs own horrible arrest rate, and we already know it is not constitutional...and yet, here we have people who support this policy..because? Because? I will never understand..

Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,549,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Dude, its the chilling effect that works. If a perp thinks he/she is going to be stopped and frisked in a certain neighborhood, they often won't go there. Simple as that.
Sure. And when you are innocently targetted by SnF, then you end up being not wanting to go out to such places. Simple as that

Old 04-19-2013, 06:16 PM

206 posts, read 294,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
As others have said--it's unconstitutional. It doesn't matter if it reduces crime. Putting tracking chips on all citizens or installing cameras in all private homes would no doubt also reduce crime.
People think the world is all stats and spreadsheets. Ok, enjoy your mandatory curfews and hyper surveillance.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am totally against this policy, most obviously because it is against our consitutional rights! Kinda like someone saying to a black person" you cant vote because alot of blacks are causing crime and we dont want them to congregate on the voting lines"!!!!!

But let me put it in other terms:

If you like S&F, then you must also like cops going into your home and searching anytime because of peeling paint or weeds in front, for as long as they like, every inch, every bank statement, every laptop, everything you have in there, because "they will eventually find a weapon, or drugs, and therefore reduce crime." Clearly this is a great policy and will lead to a reduction in crime, and if you dont want this policy it only means you have something to hide!

See the problem here? If you dont, you probably need to move to China where you can enjoy all the freedoms and rights associated with not having any freedoms or rights.

We already know S&F does not reduce crime, and that is based on the NYPDs own horrible arrest rate, and we already know it is not constitutional...and yet, here we have people who support this policy..because? Because? I will never understand..
The sad thing is, not many people think about that when they say they support stop and frisk. No one ever thinks about how invasive it is. I don't think it is so much that alot of people don't see the problem. I think the issue is that many people don't care. Many people also don't think it could happen to them. I understand why some people would support it. Some people support it as a means of "keeping the Black people in line". Some people are not looking at it from "it violates their Constitutional rights", but from a perspective of "it keeps us safe if those people are stopped and frisked".

Old 04-20-2013, 06:30 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,045,515 times
Yep, non-miniorities don't care about the constitutional rights of minorities. Some of the same people who support stop &frisk are going nuts over the Boston bomber not being mirandized. People have to realize that when the govt decides to abuse it's power it always starts with the people who are the most hated and have the least political power and then they will move on to others from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The sad thing is, not many people think about that when they say they support stop and frisk. No one ever thinks about how invasive it is. I don't think it is so much that alot of people don't see the problem. I think the issue is that many people don't care. Many people also don't think it could happen to them. I understand why some people would support it. Some people support it as a means of "keeping the Black people in line". Some people are not looking at it from "it violates their Constitutional rights", but from a perspective of "it keeps us safe if those people are stopped and frisked".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City