Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,943,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepride95 View Post
What do you think is a better deal that I should do, 7 day unlimited or 30 day unlimited? And I'm not quite understanding the transitchek you are referring to.
Do the math and figure out whether the unlimited card is worth it for you. If you are living near campus it may not be.

Transitcheck is offered by employers. It deducts money before taxes to pay for commuting costs. If you do not have a full-time job you probably will not have that option.

Not eating meat is probably the best decision you could make financially. And I would definitely opt for tofu or whatever else before I would buy and eat from a discount meat market.

If you are looking for a part-time job, why don't you get a job at a restaurant ? Such as Maison Harlem, which will be just below you. You might be able to eat there sometimes. Or at Fairway, where you would get a discount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,657,135 times
Quote:
Im 80 percent sure I will be at BMCC for college then living in the CCNY The Tower's establishment. There is no food offered there. So where can you get cheap groceries?!? Or Farmers market type food.
If you are looking for food, I mean fresh fruit and vegetable and live seafood. As far as I know, Chinatown has the lowest price in all Manhattan.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,438,859 times
You might consider joining a food co-op as a means to save on grocery expenses. The greenmarkets are great, though, and Union Square is a favorite, but some of the booths can be a bit of a premium, but the variety is worth it. The bad thing is the co-ops are not immediately adjacent to where you would be living/going to school.

Food Cooperatives In New York City

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,021,402 times
Go to Trader Joes for very good food, and its cheap. Lots of produce, whole grain products, good meats, etc.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:15 PM

5,525 posts, read 8,792,750 times
The No 1 train will take you uptown toPathmark at 207 th St and Target at 225th St. I also like the Associated downtown at 97th and Amsterdam. If you want to hike crosstown there is an Aldi's and a Costco at 117th st and the East River. I also like Best Yet, as mentioned before.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:36 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,561,811 times

it's not chelsea market, but it works

Old 03-15-2013, 11:42 PM

24 posts, read 84,718 times
I second the vote for Trader Joes

Old 03-16-2013, 11:02 AM

988 posts, read 3,258,925 times
Quote:
Have you guys heard anything about Big Apple Meat Market or Stiles Famers Market?!? From some research I found them and everyone seems to think they're pretty good and well priced.
Both relatively cheap. Big Apple moved 2 blocks away to 39th and 9th now. Stiles is the best produce market in Manhattan in my opinion. Cheap and fresh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 AM

25,395 posts, read 37,147,769 times
Quote:
Im 80 percent sure I will be at BMCC for college then living in the CCNY The Tower's establishment. There is no food offered there. So where can you get cheap groceries?!? Or Farmers market type food.
Orange,
It is always easier on us if you give the street/avenue you are located at rather than "at BMCC for college then living in the CCNY The Tower's establishment."

FAIRWAY is most certainly NOT cheap, among the most overpriced grocery store chains in a City of VERY overpriced groceries.

If you are near 125th and Lexington, you will not do a lot better than PATHMARK, a huge beautiful store with very low prices...nice fish department.

Of course JACK'S is incompable but a bargain at a giveaway price this week is usually never seen again. So when you see it, buy as much as you can safely store.
I like the $1.29 chicken biryanis (7 minutes in microwave and delicious) but you need a freezer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City