Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 03:44 AM

10 posts, read 13,105 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will introduce myself quickly: my name is Lilian, I am 19 years old and I am preparing for the first year of BTS (two-year technical degree, International Trade) in the High School Frederic Chopin of Nancy (France).

I am posting here because I am seeking an unpaid training period in prospect canvassing and follow-up or assisting the person in charge of these tasks from May 6th to June 28th inNew York City.

I have already sent many e-mail to firms in New York (computer store, clothing store...) but actually, no company is looking for interns.That's why I decided to post on this forum, because I think it's easier to contact directly local people.

Could you tell me if you know someone who are looking for interns during this period ?

I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to read my topic.

By the way, I hope you're doing fine because of Sandy hurricane.

Best regards.
A french friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 05:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Unpaid internships should be abandoned...they are an obscenity.

If every new graduate told every company offering unpaid internships to stuff it where the sun don't shine these companies would have to sstart paying for their slave labor.

My advice SoniicGame...don't fall for the scam.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:16 AM

241 posts, read 372,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Unpaid internships should be abandoned...they are an obscenity.

If every new graduate told every company offering unpaid internships to stuff it where the sun don't shine these companies would have to sstart paying for their slave labor.

My advice SoniicGame...don't fall for the scam.
Agreed....it is modern servitude.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:07 AM

Thank you for your quickly answer.

However, it's very hard to find an internship (I sent about 100 e-mail and I received only 8 answers which told me the firms are not looking for interns).
What's more, old interns who did their training period have not been paid. I mean, I know it's a scam but it's not up to me.
Nevertheless, if I find an unpaid internship, at the end of this one, I will demand some money to repay a part of my expense.

Unfortunately,I think I don't have other solution, that's why I asked if you know a firm who are looking for an internship.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:42 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,034 times
What are your skills?

Old 11-03-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
What are your skills?
I passed my High School Diploma in Marketing, I have some basic stuff with the business and sales (I mean I underdstand the business world a lot).
Moreover, I worked several times during my holidays (waiter and cleaner in a coffee, dishwasher in a restaurant). That'st all

Old 11-03-2012, 02:57 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
They aren't going to take you on for an internship for two reasons. First, they don't want to sponsor you (yes, you'd need a work visa even for an internship and it costs $$) and second, you have no skills. Generally an internship happens after two or more years of university in the US, not at the start of it.

One other problem--internships generally either run during school sessions or over the summer for 12-14 weeks, you are looking for basically a 6-7 week internship that falls over a major national holiday. By the time you figure out where the bathrooms are it will be over. No one does a six week internship program in the US.

I'd suggest you look for an opportunity within the EU.

And for the record, "I will demand some money to repay a part of my expense" will get you tossed on your ass in the street and no reference or worse yet, a bad one.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:23 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Desole, but you really do not have the qualifications for a typical business internship in the US. Look at some international volunteer organizations that cater to college students and recent graduates. You might also consider a study abroad program through your current school.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:58 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They aren't going to take you on for an internship for two reasons. First, they don't want to sponsor you (yes, you'd need a work visa even for an internship and it costs $$) and second, you have no skills. Generally an internship happens after two or more years of university in the US, not at the start of it.

One other problem--internships generally either run during school sessions or over the summer for 12-14 weeks, you are looking for basically a 6-7 week internship that falls over a major national holiday. By the time you figure out where the bathrooms are it will be over. No one does a six week internship program in the US.

I'd suggest you look for an opportunity within the EU.

And for the record, "I will demand some money to repay a part of my expense" will get you tossed on your ass in the street and no reference or worse yet, a bad one.

Nice, thorough answer, but in Liliane's defense, the French "demander" means "to ask," so she might not have meant that as aggressively as it sounded.

Liliane, I don't think your prospects are good, but why don't you try contacting French companies that have offices in New York?

Old 11-03-2012, 05:07 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Nice, thorough answer, but in Liliane's defense, the French "demander" means "to ask," so she might not have meant that as aggressively as it sounded.

Liliane, I don't think your prospects are good, but why don't you try contacting French companies that have offices in New York?
Excellent point about the translation. Now if OP meant commander or passer une commande, that would be rather rude and pushy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City