Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 AM

2 posts, read 54,372 times

Advertisements

I have two unpaid NYC parking tickets from like 2008-9 thanks to a-hole friends who borrowed my car and never paid them. My NYC drivers license is about to expire. When i renew my New York id, will these old parking tickets be linked to it at the dmv? Will I have to pay for them before I can renew?

I know some places tack old parking tickets, like LA County, to your car registration renewal, but have never heard it happening to a drivers license. I don't have a car in New York anymore and spend half my year in LA and would rather renew my ID in New York. California makes you take their written test to get a Calif drivers license and my goal is to minimize my dmv time. Stupid, as if other states drive on the other side of the road or something and can't tell the diff. between a green or a red light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 05:41 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Normally parking tickets are connected to a car registration and if unpaid they can suspend the owner's registration, garnish wages or freeze a bank account. Since the parking tickets are linked to a car you used to own, you need to inquire directly with the DMV if that can effect your driver's license renewal.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:55 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_up View Post
I have two unpaid NYC parking tickets from like 2008-9 thanks to a-hole friends who borrowed my car and never paid them. My NYC drivers license is about to expire. When i renew my New York id, will these old parking tickets be linked to it at the dmv? Will I have to pay for them before I can renew?
LOL!

Guess you haven't been stopped by the police while driving. If you had, you would have gotten a real surprise.

With unpaid tickests that old, your license has certainlly been SUSPENDED!!

You have been driving illegally, and are subject to arrest.

The answer to your question is YES! You'll also find that your car insurance will have increased significantly upon renewal, as a result of the license renewal.

Quote:
I know some places tack old parking tickets, like LA County, to your car registration renewal, but have never heard it happening to a drivers license. I don't have a car in New York anymore and spend half my year in LA and would rather renew my ID in New York. California makes you take their written test to get a Calif drivers license and my goal is to minimize my dmv time. Stupid, as if other states drive on the other side of the road or something and can't tell the diff. between a green or a red light.
Many States, particularly States which NYers frequent, have 'cross-agreements' and shafe info and will require drivers to settle their arrears with NYS, before renewing or issuing a new license.

I do believe, if your license is suspended you may have to go thru the whole licensing process again; may be dependant upon circumstances.

Rather than risk arrest, I'd get this settled asap.

Luck!

Old 08-27-2011, 01:01 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Oh, btw, you check the status of the tickets and your license online. You can also pay your tickets online.

Jfyi, the fine anoutn will be at the maximum, a few hundred.

You w/h been notified by mail of the tickets. Notified to appear or respond by mail. Notified of the Judgment. Notified that the Judgment was put to 'Collections'. Finally, notified of your license suspension. All sent to the address listed on your license.

So, while the actual tickets may be on your friends, the final outcome is on you.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:46 AM

2 posts, read 54,372 times
I've been pulled over three times in last couple years, 2 in LA & 1 in Seattle,...tail light out, speeding, and no reason, but haven't received a ticket... they ran my license each time. My drivers license isn't suspended. My auto insurance checks that crapt too. I was hoping to hear from someone with a clue & minus the lecture!

Old 12-17-2013, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 20,750 times
That person who replied about suspended licenses is either greatly mistaken parking violations with traffic violations, or just trying to scare you. I had parking tickets in NY, and then sold the car and returned plates to NY DMV. Then I went to LA for three years and had CA driver license issued with no problems ( after exam). Now I returned back to NY and got my new NY driving license without any problems also. Just paid $65 driver license fee. No one said anything about my parking tickets. Now, I'm trying to find out how much I owe for those tickets, because I'm planning to buy a car here in NY. I don't have summonses numbers. Does anyone has information on how to search parking tickets by name or DL?

Old 06-04-2014, 03:34 PM

4 posts, read 32,212 times
Default No

They won't suspend your license or registration. But when you renew your registration, the fees will be on there. It happened to me a couple of years ago when I lived in the Bronx.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:24 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
suspensions should only be for moving violations. jcoltrane - stop talking out of your ass

also, reckless driving violation is on your insurance record in nyc for 8 years so watch out. I got it out of state and didn't know this (naive college years) and just plead guilty. I had to pay $12k a year insurance for my pcar afterwards! as for the violation I was speeding on a empty interstate highway (not swerving like a maniac on a busy highway). still, lesson learned..

Old 06-05-2014, 06:51 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
old thread alert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City