Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:26 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,311,497 times

Advertisements

The OP is probably a tourist planning a trip. I know things are rough right now for many people, but it is a legitimate question.

I’m a refugee from my apartment in the Village. I’m on the Upper West Side right now and, apart from unusually heavy traffic, it’s as if nothing ever happened. I’m even going to the opera tonight.

The biggest issues as far as Manhattan is concerned are the loss of power downtown and subway service, both of which should be fixed by New Years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,138,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The OP is probably a tourist planning a trip. I know things are rough right now for many people, but it is a legitimate question.
I agree, however I think it's rather insensitive. The OP should have waited a week to ask.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:52 AM

25,411 posts, read 37,185,886 times
By New Years Eve Sandy will have been a long ago UNfond memory.

But in the best of times, New York is an AWFUL place to experience New Years...the weather always sucks, the crowds are unbearable, transportation is a nightmare.
Hours and hours of waiting around in the cold is for masochists...and nipple clamps are far more comfortable.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:00 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,271,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

I’m a refugee from my apartment in the Village. I’m on the Upper West Side right now and, apart from unusually heavy traffic, it’s as if nothing ever happened. I’m even going to the opera tonight.

The biggest issues as far as Manhattan is concerned are the loss of power downtown and subway service, both of which should be fixed by New Years.
I agree...probably wasn't meant to be mean spirited. I suggest to keep checking in...Like tpk said- some parts aren't as bad as others.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:11 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,074,014 times
NY was hit just as hard as NJ. I don't know why people limit the problem to Subway flooding. What about Breezy Point, Queens? Over 100 houses burned down. How about Far Rockaway? Staten Island? Coney Island? Long Beach? There are houses that lie in rubble in those places. Many people died. Boardwalks in a lot of these places totally gone. Lower Manhattan was not the worst hit, and it's certainly not the only place that took damage. Considering that only 14 people died in NJ, while NY's death toll is in the 40's, there is no way NJ took the brunt of the storm.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:13 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,732,831 times
and if he's coming here for NYE, times square stayed lit through the whole thing. So all that matters for NYE is OK.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
NY was hit just as hard as NJ. I don't know why people limit the problem to Subway flooding. What about Breezy Point, Queens? Over 100 houses burned down. How about Far Rockaway? Staten Island? Coney Island? Long Beach? There are houses that lie in rubble in those places. Many people died. Boardwalks in a lot of these places totally gone. Lower Manhattan was not the worst hit, and it's certainly not the only place that took damage. Considering that only 14 people died in NJ, while NY's death toll is in the 40's, there is no way NJ took the brunt of the storm.
More people in NJ didn't die simply because more people heeded mandatory evacuation orders.

Overall there is more widespread damage in NJ. In NY it's just in clusters, in NJ it's over half the state.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
More people in NJ didn't die simply because more people heeded mandatory evacuation orders.

Overall there is more widespread damage in NJ. In NY it's just in clusters, in NJ it's over half the state.
The worst damage was really to coastal areas. Same with NYC. Inland NJ suffered the same thing as inland NY, fallen trees and power failure.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The worst damage was really to coastal areas. Same with NYC. Inland NJ suffered the same thing as inland NY, fallen trees and power failure.
Actually there were some inland areas that flooded as well in NJ.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually there were some inland areas that flooded as well in NJ.
Well Redhook Brooklyn, Sheepshead bay, Long Island City, and even some of the East Village flooded and those places are not directly by the water, have to go a few blocks inland. Some zone B areas flooded, it was on the news.

How far inland did NJ floods reach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: