Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:37 PM

6 posts, read 21,328 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a senior at Sanger High in Sanger, California and i plan to attend college right after i graduate. Now, this is where things get difficult. I want to go to college in NYC. Since i didn't do my best in high school , grade wise (B's & C's), i plan to attend a CUNY college. I'm really liking The City College of New York and Hunter college. First off any other suggestions about colleges here? Are these colleges good academic wise?

Second. I know i would need money. i know NYC is very expensive. I do get Financial Aid, and for many reasons i would possibly receive a tuition wavier. I also plan to get some grants, and scholarships, and pull out some student loans. I don't plan to live alone. As i was looking on Craigslist i browsed through roommates, and there were a lot of good offers. Now i would be smart about it and when the time comes i would get to know whoever i was wanting to room with and meet him or her on many occasions. Of course i need a job, and would find one before moving here for certain. Just i guess what I'm asking for is this a good idea? and whatever opinion you have i'd love to hear it. And if this isn't a very good plan then please id like some advice on this. I've been thinking about this for a very long time and i feel like there isn't any other alternative. I want to move there and i've always heard stories of people moving there and the kind of situation I'm in and they made it perfectly, yes they had to work their butts off, but they still did it.

As extra information i plan to get a major in English and i possibly get an internship at a publishing company that could turn into a permanent job in publishing.

i haven't been able to get answers from anyone honestly. I've turned to similar threads regarding moving to NYC and some have been helpful, but not entirely. I just need some help on this. Anyone who can give me info and advice on this. Like i said i see no other way. I know it would be best for me to go to a college here and wait, and yeah I've heard that a lot, but i just can't for many reasons, some too personal to state so please i'm asking you to give advice and your opinion about moving here and suggestions regarding to moving to NYC.

Thank you so much, honestly you don't know how much this means to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 07:49 PM

594 posts, read 1,634,122 times
If I had it to do over again I would have gotten my degree from a community college or something and then moved. I really regret all the debt I put myself in, not to mention how it can shred your credit which will lock you out of so many opportunities in New York.

If I were you, as tough as it sounds to you now, I'd stay where I am and get my degree as cheaply as possible, work, save every cent, and then move one you have your Bachelor's. That way you can roll into town with a degree and a nice fat savings account to cover you while you get set up and have something to build on.

I know that is the last thing you want to hear, but you'd be amazed at how many people come to town with the same plan as you and 4 years later they're back in dad's house in $100'000 worth of debt and can't get a job anyplace.

Do the hard thing now. Please trust me when I tell you how much it will pay off later. 4 years really isn't that long once you're out of high school.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 PM

466 posts, read 901,874 times
It is going to be hard to get a job as a recent high school grad from out of state before moving here. It is also going to be hard to meet potential roommates before moving here.

It might be more feasible--and a lot cheaper--to attend a local school for a couple years and then transfer to a school in NYC. You are going to get yourself into massive debt if you come to NYC and live off loans for four years. English is not a very marketable degree, you won't get a paid internship, and you will have a lot of trouble turning an internship into a paid position.

Ask yourself: if you are getting mediocre grades in high school, do you have the self-discipline and motivation to make it in NYC fresh out of high school with no support network? You are very young and still have to figure out how to take care if yourself and pay your bills. Maybe you should do that closer to home, work hard, line up a career for yourself, and then consider moving in NYC.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:58 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
It is going to be hard to get a job as a recent high school grad from out of state before moving here. It is also going to be hard to meet potential roommates before moving here.
Agree 100%.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:06 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,858 times
Say, I've been to Sanger High- well, Visalia, actually - went to Sanger's Model UN Conference when I was in HS - guess Visalia was considered more cosmopolitan than Sanger.

Anyway https://www.cuny.edu/admissions/fina...tion-fees.html
this site says out-of-staters pay 3x more than NY residents at CUNY, so you'd better get a tuition waiver.

craigslist has a lot of hustlers on it especially in NYC- you can search this site for a lot of examples- go in with your eyes open

Calif. is a big state- you can get fairly far away from your personal problems and still pay in-state tuition.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:46 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianaA View Post
Hello,
I am a senior at Sanger High in Sanger, California and i plan to attend college right after i graduate. Now, this is where things get difficult. I want to go to college in NYC. Since i didn't do my best in high school , grade wise (B's & C's), i plan to attend a CUNY college. I'm really liking The City College of New York and Hunter college. First off any other suggestions about colleges here? Are these colleges good academic wise?

Second. I know i would need money. i know NYC is very expensive. I do get Financial Aid, and for many reasons i would possibly receive a tuition wavier. I also plan to get some grants, and scholarships, and pull out some student loans. I don't plan to live alone. As i was looking on Craigslist i browsed through roommates, and there were a lot of good offers. Now i would be smart about it and when the time comes i would get to know whoever i was wanting to room with and meet him or her on many occasions. Of course i need a job, and would find one before moving here for certain. Just i guess what I'm asking for is this a good idea? and whatever opinion you have i'd love to hear it. And if this isn't a very good plan then please id like some advice on this. I've been thinking about this for a very long time and i feel like there isn't any other alternative. I want to move there and i've always heard stories of people moving there and the kind of situation I'm in and they made it perfectly, yes they had to work their butts off, but they still did it.

As extra information i plan to get a major in English and i possibly get an internship at a publishing company that could turn into a permanent job in publishing.

i haven't been able to get answers from anyone honestly. I've turned to similar threads regarding moving to NYC and some have been helpful, but not entirely. I just need some help on this. Anyone who can give me info and advice on this. Like i said i see no other way. I know it would be best for me to go to a college here and wait, and yeah I've heard that a lot, but i just can't for many reasons, some too personal to state so please i'm asking you to give advice and your opinion about moving here and suggestions regarding to moving to NYC.

If you can move here and receive financial support from your parents that would make things much easier. Most of the glamorous young people you see living in trendy NYC neighborhoods actually get a lot of money from their family and are entirely dependent well into their 30's -- some for life.

I'm assuming you wouldn't get that support based upon your comment about personal reasons. You could get financial aid, go to CUNY and live in a distant neighborhood in either Queens or Brooklyn with roommates and probably make it fine. You can still have fun and enjoy what the city has to offer but you need to have a realistic expectation of the kind of neighborhood you will most likely live in, the length of your commute, and your day to day life. There are far too many details to put into one post but there are many, many threads on every aspect of life in NYC so do your research. I agree with the other posters that you should try to keep your debt down as much as possible. However, I don't think you'll build up 100K in student loans if you live cheaply and go to CUNY--not even close.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:20 PM

6 posts, read 21,328 times
anyone else have any suggestions, please this means a lot to me.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:29 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,080,376 times
Quote:
Hello,

I would stay in California unless your parents are rich and would foot the bill. NYC is expensive. Food, Housing, transportation, entertainment will break your bank or your parent's bank. You are a HS senior. Do you have work experience? Even if you do, you are going to compete with a LOT of people for a job and some have bachelors, masters, PHDs, 5+ years of experience, etc. The economy is not 100% back to normal. Why are you going to burden yourself and your parents with NYC? Why NYC out of all the states?

California is a big state. Why not move to another city? You have a lot of publishing and media companies in CA. You also have a lot of great schools in CA. I would finish my degree in CA while working a part-time job or internship and then figure out were to settle for a job after graduating.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
anyone else have any suggestions, please this means a lot to me.
Why don't you live in the dorms on campus?

Hunter College has dormitories, and so do many of the other 4 year cunys.

Residence Halls — Hunter College

QC Queens College

Overview of Career Center at CCNY

Residence Hall | Brooklyn College

Lehman College - The Division of Student Affairs: Student Housing

There are housing options at all the 4 year CUNY's. For future reference, you need to ask these questions to people at the colleges who will be better able to give you constructive help and advice.

Coming onto a thread like this, you'll get a lot of nasty comments from other people who would like to do nothing but shut down your dream, due to their own misery.

For any graduating high school student out there, college is one of the EASIEST times in your life to relocate to a new place. You can get housing on or near campus, funding for it, and there's dining on campus. You'll have everything covered between your parents and the government. All you really have to worry about is doing your academic work.......

Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
What I will emphasize to you, however, is that school is a FULL TIME job in and of itself, particularly if you intend to graduate. Do not fall into the trap of working so many hours you can't properly study or attend class.

Particularly with you being out of state, you'll need parental and/or governmental support. Once you've settled in, you might get a part time job on campus, or near campus if you can find someone whose's looking for you. As a full time student try not to work more than 10 hours a week, any more can really harm your ability to deal with your classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: