Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 PM

4 posts, read 5,013 times

Advertisements

I am currently 17 years old from West Virginia, I have a job currently(I work at the local pizza place), and I want to move to New York after school. It might be unrealistic, but I'm willing to put my plan out there and see what you guys think. I plan on taking the Integrative Nutrition course online to become a certified health coach. It is a year long program and I would plan on starting as soon as I turned 18. Their school swears you can "earn while you learn." So midway through my teachings, I would be able to actually coach some people and make a little money. I know it takes a while to build a business, but coming from WV(one of the most obese states in the USA), I think I could get some customers willing to pay for my help. I will also be applying to the Natural Gourmet Institute. I will be using SallieMae to help pay for what I cannot afford(including apartment rent, more than likely. Their website said it was possible.) They also, supposedly, have a plan where you can work at their school for a certain amount of hours and take their Chef Training Course for free. That is definitely something I will be looking into. I would also want to certify myself as a personal trainer, if possible. My dad is currently dating a woman whose family is from New York and they own a restaurant. They offered me a job and I will, if i can swing it with school and whatnot, take it. I don't know if my hours will coincide with my school schedule though. I know roommates are a MUST and the natural gourmet institute has a list of apartment realtors on their website. So basically, I know, for a while, my life when I get out there will be hell. I will be barely getting by, but I think I can do it. I know it's not some luxurious place like the tv shows make it out to be, but I still want to try. And even if I do not get accepted into the culinary school, I'm applying to some of the SUNY colleges there. Does it sound like I have a decent plan or do I need to reconsider? I plan on reading a lot of books about moving there too. Any/All help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 12:47 AM

4 posts, read 5,825 times
It's a major process but it can be done. I'm originally from New York, but lived most of my life in Concord, NC. I left Concord the day of my high school graduation and never looked back. It sounds like you're going to have a lot on your plate, so my first piece of advice is to just take it easy. Don't take on too many courses or you're going to end up hating life. Also, be mindful of what programs you enroll in. I wouldn't go for any for-profit schools, but use your own discretion. I've spent time at two private colleges and I'm currently at Baruch, so what do I know.

My next piece of advice would be to stay the hell away from SallieMae. I have a $3k loan with them and they've been making me jump through hoops over it. I don't want to imagine what a $20,000 loan would be like. Look at your options. Check out Wells Fargo, Fifth-Third or your local banks. They may have better rates for you and the customer service level will exceed anything you get with SallieMae. Finding a place will be harder for you because of your age, but not impossible. Check out sites like nakedapartments, citi-habitats, or streeteasy. Putting an ad on craigslist might get you some attention too. The most inexpensive neighborhoods in the city are Washington Heights, Inwood, and Harlem. Williamsburg and Sunset Park are nice places to look, but it's getting too pricey down there for my taste. I don't care what you read, you do not want to get an apartment in Bed-Stuy, East NY, or Bushwick. You will not have a good time walking home at night. Keep in mind that this city is EXPENSIVE. Very very expensive. You're looking at $500-700 for rent, $103 for a metrocard, and $200-300 for food... and that's just basic living expenses. Make a budget and stick to it. It's too easy to spend all the refund money you get from your loan.

Bottom line: Moving to NYC at your age is hard, but not impossible. If you can stand the initial loneliness and sticker shock, you'll make it long enough to start building relationships and finding your niche. I hope this helps out a little bit. If you need anything, just PM me.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 AM

167 posts, read 306,277 times
what jake said is true, being on this forum will give you a very distorted view of what "gentrified" means

ie. midtown and harlem are still polar opposites, I like both of those places. You'll just see every stereotype that you would expect to see as soon as you get off the train

Old 07-31-2012, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,896 times
I am a soon to be graduate of IIN and in the restaurant/catering business here in NYC! Would love to chat - email me [email]cara@freshmadenyc.com[/email]

“Success is determined not by what you get for reaching your destination, but by what you become by reaching it.” -Zig Ziglar

Go for your dreams!!!!

- Cara -

Old 07-31-2012, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,891 times
The Sallie Mae loan (when I had it in 2005ish) was also NOT fixed, meaning they jacked up the interest rate by 0.5% every month or two, about two months after I started paying it back, so I agree with the other post to look elsewhere for a loan (mine started at 6% on about $17k and very quickly went up to 9.5%). You also have to start paying it back very soon after you graduate, so work that into your budget as well. At the time I think my min payment was $200/ mo which was very difficult to do on top of rent, food, etc.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,864 times
Hey Evan,
I'm a Nat Gourmet grad and am currently enrolled in IIN. I have a successful career as a private chef and would be happy to field any questions via my email.
Hit me up!

[email]katturnercooks@gmail.com[/email]

Old 07-31-2012, 05:52 PM

667 posts, read 1,745,547 times
plan, plan, plan. NYC can be a fierce place but it's also a once in a lifetime experience. Having lived in NYC for most of my years, I can tell you there's nothing like it! I had no support from family and at times things looked really dark but I was ambitious and willing to work hard. Luck is also part of that equation. Being at the right place at the right time helps. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and you are willing to work hard, so that's a start. However, based on your chosen profession I would NOT spend $.01, at least not yet. Online for profit schools are notorious for painting a city of Gold.

As you work for the 'family' restaurant and get a couple odd jobs, go ahead and see if you can intern or work part-time with a company/brand that is already successful doing what you want! And better yet, do it on their dime Plenty of successful trainers, nutritionist out there that are willing to give you a chance. The main reason for this undertaking is that you may quickly realize that you need to take your specialty in a whole different route. Or maybe you'll hate it altogether? Or you may just find the right kind of idea that can help you develop your own business plan down the road as you see how other people operate. I mean long term, who knows, you can be the big fish in WV providing amazing healthy alternatives for the mass.

My problem with an online nutrition certification is that I just wouldn't believe in it as a potential client. In NYC, folks looking and willing to go for for these type of services are either getting these consultation sessions/training for free/subsidized thru some not for profit/city-state agency or are paying top dollar for private consultation. The latter is where you're going to make the real money and do it your way. But the latter also has a client that can afford to pay someone with a 'traditional' nutritional program degree/experience, that they can recognize. I find it interesting that they won't publish their tuition unless you call and speak to their representatives?? = pretty hard sell.
I love your spirit and go for it but please don't get yourself into debt unless you have a plan and good odds that your investment will pay off. Good luck

Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 AM

455 posts, read 652,384 times
This thread seems like a shill thread for this school. 2 alumnis have posted, lol.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:36 AM

484 posts, read 855,288 times
there was one like this from another poster on LA. same copy with the exception. the person wanted to move to LA after HS and was saving up their babysitting money. LOL

Old 08-02-2012, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,168 times
Evan,

Greetings from Natural Gourmet's social media. We've posted your query 2x, the one on yahoo and this one here. We encouraged people to answer your question. I thought it would seem a little too conflict-of-interest-y for us to answer it.

I found your post through Google Alerts.

Addressing Kal.'s concern that the original post was a shill - it's not. I've just directed people here to give Evan advice. We don't presume Natural Gourmet is for everyone, certainly not for people we haven't even met yet. I was just inspired that such a young person had such a clear vision of a career and how to get it.

If you have any questions, Evan, about the school, shoot me an email at [email]elliott@naturalgourmetinstitute.com[/email].

By the way, there's some good advice up there, both pro and con.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City