Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:45 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,497 times

Advertisements

I constantly see food and beverage delivery trucks getting ticketed and they don't care. Does the company they work for care they are constantly getting tickets? Given the parking situation, there really isn't much they can do to avoid it. Do they have agreements with the city to pay less or is it just one of the expenses of delivering in Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:59 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I constantly see food and beverage delivery trucks getting ticketed and they don't care. Does the company they work for care they are constantly getting tickets? Given the parking situation, there really isn't much they can do to avoid it. Do they have agreements with the city to pay less or is it just one of the expenses of delivering in Manhattan?
I think they just don't care because they really have no choice. When I worked in the branch I saw the UPS guy leave and he was getting a ticket. He just walked out the door, took the ticket, didn't even exchange one word, got in the truck and left lol. When I was a teen I used to work in a supermarket and the loading dock was on the side street of a one way street. I can't tell you how many times the delivery drivers got tickets because they would park out front where there was a bus stop since they couldn't double park on the side street. They just took the ticket with no arguement.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:57 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,461 times
It's a cost of doing business that gets passed right down to the customer.

That was a problem with the "congestion pricing" idea - you can't deliver a crate of tomatoes via the subway.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:08 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,122 times
I'm not sure if NYC still has this policy, but I know there are places where large companies pay their tickets in bulk at a discount if they don't contest them.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,316,181 times
FedEx has attorneys just for this purpose....my boy works for FedEx and he said that they used to have a big garbage can (like the type people put outside their house) where the drivers threw the tickets in. At the end of the shift the garbage can would be full. In Manhattan they really have nowhere to park so what choice do they have....

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-28-2012, 08:38 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
Remember it is not coming out of the drivers pocket..it is the company's problem. So why get upset or argue? The city can give the driver 400 tickets....and the tickets simply get given to the company to deal with. And the city knows this and its a free for all revenue driver for the city.

It is the cost of doing business and yet another hidden tax which makes everything expensive in this city. You should ssume that every delivery truck entering the city probably pays $500 minimum in parking tickets, which are then tacked on as a higher purchase price for me and you. The city gets revenue from the ticket, and more revenue from sales tax (because of the inflated sales price)...double dipping!

If you actually calculated all these sorts of hidden taxes, you would quickly realize how much it really costs to live in NYC and why so many working/middle class people are getting the heck out. I am a high wage earner and the fines, fees, surcharges, ticketing will break me soon...it's out of control and wearing me down. According to the community board meeting last night, things are going to get alot worse before they get better, as the city is slashing alot more money from the budget over the next 2 years and seeking ways to raise more revenue = more bogus tickets/fines/fees. UGH!

Old 09-28-2012, 10:21 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
It is difficult, because these men have to make deliveries, ans we all know parking is a real PITA, so for the men to park where it is convenient for them to do their job, they just let the tickets be written for the 115 or what ever it is, they stay in the spot and do the remainer of their job.

It is just a money making scam the city has.
They know these men have to do their jobs and parking is a problem, WTF are they supposed to do, i mean really.
I witnessed a moving van on 7th Ave in PS, meter maid said to move it, but they were moving furniture, what did she want them to park aroud the corner.
the man just said, just give me the dam ticket already, i have better things to do.
She did, and he continued on the rest of the furniture move.

Money making scam, that is everything in the city.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:47 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
Why make it entirely the city's fault? A lot of times these delivery trucks are parked in areas that do impede traffic so it's not like the city is ticketing them just because they can. In Forest Hills, Austin Street is only one lane in each direction and when these trucks double park, they often stop traffic completely or severely slow it down. I understand these delivery drivers have to do their job but all of you who order from Amazon or get your food from Fresh Direct also have to take a bit of the blame.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:01 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,122 times
If the traffic situation on Austin Street is really such a big issue, they should get rid of a parking lane or make it a one-way. Realistically, you're not going to stop deliveries to that street. If traffic really does come to a standstill often, that can become a safety issue because the police and fire departments can't get to where they need to go.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:18 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I'm not sure if NYC still has this policy, but I know there are places where large companies pay their tickets in bulk at a discount if they don't contest them.
This is still SOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City