Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 08:27 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Remember it is not coming out of the drivers pocket..it is the company's problem. So why get upset or argue? The city can give the driver 400 tickets....and the tickets simply get given to the company to deal with. And the city knows this and its a free for all revenue driver for the city.

It is the cost of doing business and yet another hidden tax which makes everything expensive in this city. You should ssume that every delivery truck entering the city probably pays $500 minimum in parking tickets, which are then tacked on as a higher purchase price for me and you. The city gets revenue from the ticket, and more revenue from sales tax (because of the inflated sales price)...double dipping!

If you actually calculated all these sorts of hidden taxes, you would quickly realize how much it really costs to live in NYC and why so many working/middle class people are getting the heck out. I am a high wage earner and the fines, fees, surcharges, ticketing will break me soon...it's out of control and wearing me down. According to the community board meeting last night, things are going to get alot worse before they get better, as the city is slashing alot more money from the budget over the next 2 years and seeking ways to raise more revenue = more bogus tickets/fines/fees. UGH!
Just think about traffic agent salaries. These are public union jobs. The median all in compensation has to be in the upper 60's, low 70's with overtime, uni allowance, health, dental, sick, vacation, and pension pay.

How many tickets do they have to give out just to cover their own salaries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 08:40 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
I had day gigs driving delivery trucks in DC for a number of years. The DC government doesn't do many things well but one thing they have down to a science is writing parking tickets. I sympathise with anyone who has to do delivery work in crowded cities.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:54 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
If I were UPS or FedEx, I'd say enough is enough already-

Demand a delivery standing spot on every street corner, ticket amnesty or pull out of the business entirely and deny service of packages and parcels to the City of New York.

FedEx, UPS does not need meter maids, but WE need those packages.

Again, as posted before- just a huge scam. The tickets aren't diffusing the action, so the parking is still being blocked, but the city is getting income that they aren't using for parking / traffic like they should.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:23 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
If I were UPS or FedEx, I'd say enough is enough already-

Demand a delivery standing spot on every street corner, ticket amnesty or pull out of the business entirely and deny service of packages and parcels to the City of New York.

FedEx, UPS does not need meter maids, but WE need those packages.

Again, as posted before- just a huge scam. The tickets aren't diffusing the action, so the parking is still being blocked, but the city is getting income that they aren't using for parking / traffic like they should.
Don't think that would work. If one companies takes that stance, the other companies would just pay the tickets and take in all the extra profit from having less competition.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
wawawee...the reality is...traffic agents, like postal workers, janitors, etc should not be working to "cover their costs." They are service, and their nature was never in extistence to cover their cost...it was to perform a specifc publich purpose: Traffic agents should be working to ensure compliance with parking and that the flow of traffic continues NOT to fine/ticket people to raise a certain amount to cover their cost + whatever their additional revenue quota is. See the difference?

All this talk about "covering their costs" is nonsense...they are not a revenue generator and should not be one. They exist as a public good, and not as a revenue generator. They have been hijacked as a revenue generator, and make life miserable for residents = why many regular people are leaving this city. All service positions are now "revenue generators"...

Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
I used to do a little delivery work in Manhattan with a UPS style package car. Parking was usually a PITA and the company I worked for was small so they didn't want to see a bunch of parking tickets. I found if you attended the truck, that was usually enough to scare the meter maids off, but if you left for 5 minutes they'd sneak in and hit you up. Total game. Occasionally they'd tell me to move it along if I was in a no standing zone.

The drivers for the big companies like UPS or FedEx didn't ever seem to care. I was told those companies settle their "tab" with the city every quarter or year or whatever at negotiated lower rates. But well into the millions of dollars nonetheless.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Big revenue for NYC, even in this 2005 article:
Parking fines a big cost for delivery firms - Business - US business | NBC News
"the city ... created a program that reduces or dismisses the tickets in exchange for a company waiving its right to contest them. The program has eliminated 770,000 ticket hearings ... 312 companies are enrolled in the program, including heavyweights like UPS, FedEx, Verizon, Coca-Cola and Time Warner Cable, which are the city’s biggest commercial offenders."
Current: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uj_bokV_L4

There is a dscount program for everyone!
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/02/ny...02parking.html
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/par..._dispute.shtml

Last edited by bigjake54; 10-02-2012 at 01:59 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 06:38 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Its a big money making scam, where the eff are the delivery trucks supposedd to park, when we have such a congested city, I mean really. Do they expect fedex to circle the blocks for every delivery????

everything in this city is to make money.

and the parking meters / tickets is the biggest scam we have here.....please

Old 10-06-2012, 08:47 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Its a big money making scam, where the eff are the delivery trucks supposedd to park, when we have such a congested city, I mean really. Do they expect fedex to circle the blocks for every delivery????

everything in this city is to make money.

and the parking meters / tickets is the biggest scam we have here.....please
There are just too many rules and such to follow. A majority of the streets are no parking and trying to find any type of street parking is impossible. Everything is 1 or 2 hour parking which is more money for the City.

And Sobro I understand you feel they should be there for public good but realistically it's about money. I'm a banker and technically I'm there to service customer accounts, but realisitically I'm here to sell people products. I have to make money for my company, just like they need to create revenue or else they can't sustain so many ticket writers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City