Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 885 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I'm currently a senior in college at a small school in northeastern Pennsylvania. I have a strong interest in breaking into arts administration, specifically development and fundraising. I have a lot of support to go into this field, and I have found several options that don't involve working in NYC. However, I eventually relented and starting researching opportunities in the city, and they sound great!

So, I have a problem. I'm TERRIFIED at the prospect of having to work in NYC. The opportunities are great, but the financial implications are sooo intimidating. How do I do this??? How can I afford to work in NYC???

Where can I find an apartment that is affordable for someone in my situation in the city or close by for a commuter? If I accept an apprenticeship/fellowship, I'd only be making between $8-$12/hr. I don't know if I'd have time for outside work. I don't need a nice place, but I need something.

Any advice that anyone could give me would be great. I just want to know if this is something I can actually do. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,728,645 times
a couple of things.
Google. It's your best friend. Always.
Craigslist. You'll need this to find some roommates so you can live off $8-12 an hour. You can also use this to find another part time job, or the gigs section to find other sources of income utilizing your talents.

Excel. You can create a budget on there. Google what it will cost for utilities and such in your area. Once you have a budget created you'll know how much you can spend on food, rent, fun, all that stuff. Because it doesn't matter if you found the perfect roommate situation in the perfect area if you can't afford it.

don't look at manhattan. just don't do it. you're not going to be able to afford it. just get it out of your head right now that it's just not going to happen. (unless you get extremely lucky and someone with a rent stabilized apartment from 30 years ago wants you to room with them.)

Working in manhattan isn't bad at all. it's fast paced. just like the streets outside.

I don't know where in particular to find something in the exact field you are looking at, but indeed, career builder, all those sites can probably help. especially linkedin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City