Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times

Advertisements

So many people have short memories...or can't be bothered to read a little history. When the Twin Towers went up in '75, they were fairly widely criticized for not fitting in with the city's skyline. Now, of course, it's politically correct to wring your hands and get all nostalgic about them.

Well...sue me for not being politically correct. I didn't like them when they went up, and I'm not all teary-eyed over their not being part of the skyline now. I prefer the new building much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 12:02 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,400,569 times
^ the twin towers were dope yo.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
They're planning 4 World Trade Centers. The old ones were a bit too boxy for my tastes. If all 4 are built it will look really impressive:

http://www.aecom.com/deployedfiles/I...90x355_WTC.jpg

Two World Trade Center is supposed to be identical in roof height the old one and only slightly shorter than the just built One World Trade Center. For some reason the image makes it look like there's more of a height difference.
I kinda prefer the originals. It's just too fancy looking for all the other buildings in lower Manhattan.

Random question, I wonder how many more people notice the twin towers in movies from the pre 2000s than before 9/11. Seems like so many movies showed them at one point or another.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:52 PM

425 posts, read 391,541 times
The old towers were really much taller than anything else downtown and stood out.

The new complex of four towers, if built, will have a more gradual rise and will blend with the skyline better.

Given that we are in the position to choose, and the current crop of structures in the downtown area, from an aesthetic point of view I choose the new complex.

I will always remember the twin towers, and be grateful I was able to experience them. They now represent a tragedy for many. From a positive emotional point of view, I have to choose the new complex as well. I am also glad they got rid of "Freedom Tower" name.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:11 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energystream View Post
The old towers were really much taller than anything else downtown and stood out.

The new complex of four towers, if built, will have a more gradual rise and will blend with the skyline better.

Given that we are in the position to choose, and the current crop of structures in the downtown area, from an aesthetic point of view I choose the new complex.

I will always remember the twin towers, and be grateful I was able to experience them. They now represent a tragedy for many. From a positive emotional point of view, I have to choose the new complex as well. I am also glad they got rid of "Freedom Tower" name.

really?, that i didnt know, i didnt like that name anyway. To me it was just stupid.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I kinda prefer the originals. It's just too fancy looking for all the other buildings in lower Manhattan.

Random question, I wonder how many more people notice the twin towers in movies from the pre 2000s than before 9/11. Seems like so many movies showed them at one point or another.

This Website shows all the old movies with shots of the Trade Center. 740 movies so it says.

World Trade Center in Movies

For me, it's those shots in the forever Law & Order reruns that get me.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:20 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,307 times
I was in elementary school when they opened them up to the public, I don't remember them not being there when I was a kid/young adult. To me, it's always going to seem like part of the skyline's missing, which will in turn, be a reminder of all the people lost in NYC, DC & Shanksville. Though I imagine it will be different for kids who don't personally remember the skyline the way it was. Just as the building of the original towers altered they skyline when they were built. One person I know retired shortly before the towers were built and she wasn't used to seeing them. She was kind of startled by them at least once when she went back to Manhattan.

Though I am glad to see the progress of 1 WTC and that the skyline will eventually have something in that area. It always seemed to me that the Empire State/Chrysler Building and the WTC Towers were non-matching, slightly differently placed bookends. It will be good to see bookends on the downtown part back again. And already, 1 WTC is becoming a sort of reference point in some areas when I get out of the subway in an unfamiliar neighborhood.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:03 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,617 times
The old Twin Towers were elegant, and very much apart of the landscape being built in the early 1970's. These new towers look gawdy, they look like maybe they belong down in Miami. They should have just rebuilt the towers exactly as they were.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM

106 posts, read 183,686 times
Both the Twins and the New 1 World Trade I truly like, do I miss the Twins of course they were a part of my life and I grew up in Ozone Park where by the Conduit Avenue looking west you could see the Twins dominate, and now the New 1 World Trade dominates. Of course dont forget 4 World Trade 977 feet and soon 3 World Trade as well as 2 both will be over 1,000 feet plus!!!

My Youtube Channel: QUEENSNY121 - YouTube

For the new Tower's progress and more!

Old 09-13-2012, 05:30 PM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
They're planning 4 World Trade Centers. The old ones were a bit too boxy for my tastes. If all 4 are built it will look really impressive:

http://www.aecom.com/deployedfiles/I...90x355_WTC.jpg

Two World Trade Center is supposed to be identical in roof height the old one and only slightly shorter than the just built One World Trade Center. For some reason the image makes it look like there's more of a height difference.
If you look at the rendering, the idea is that the eye starts with One, and will be drawn down in spiral through Two, Three, and Four, which, if you notice, has a twist on its upper third, and down to the two memorial pools located where the twin towers once stood.

I just hope I get to see Two and Three built.

My perspective is a little different, given that I worked in the One WTC for 20 years and then returned downtown to work on the rebuilding project for a while. I can close my eyes and "walk" through the World Trade Center and see it as if I was in it yesterday, but that's the only way those buildings exist anymore--in our memories.

I have always been a proponent of rebuilding--I love history, and that little end of Manhattan has seen amazing history and changes over the past 400 years. These new buildings are for the future generations who will have their own stories down there. The past can be remembered, but it has to be left behind and we have to move forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City