Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:49 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
That's even more encouraging. I am planning to move my family back to NYC...either Brooklyn or Queens this summer. I have been combing CL to get an idea of the lay of the land. I keep finding so many brokers that I have almost decide to pay one. Mind you, I NEVER paid a broker when I lived in NYC. I do have close friends that can help out when I am ready to move, though.
The brokers will post anywhere on CL, even under the owner only section, which is annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
The brokers will post anywhere on CL, even under the owner only section, which is annoying.
Yea! It took me a minute to figure that out. They sure as hell do. Vampires.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:41 PM

51 posts, read 166,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Craigslist has been good to me. I have found apartments, roommates, gotten jobs, done research studies, sold and bought things from it.

Craigslist has been very good to me as well, found my current job on there and I am working on one of the largest construction projects in the world

Old 09-01-2012, 05:04 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
The reality is this:

For any "scam" to work, the need is for generally desparate and naive people.

Are all or the majority of ads on Craigslist scams?

Absolutely NOT!

That is the fact. Now, here is the caveate:

TOO many people go onto to CL hoping for, rainbows and miracles, which simply do not exist!!

For example, people looking for a $500 one bedroom apt in a great trendy neighborhood, 15 minutes from work and the middle of Manhattan, super clean, no bugs, all amenities, and an in house masseuse (sp?)!!

Or, a 2/3 bedroom in a great family neighborhood with good schools, playgrounds, absolutely no crime, all ameniities, free parking, and free babysitting!! All for...$500!!

Of course, none of that exists anywhere, but Heaven, yet people go onto CL searching. For everyone who actually moves to NYC, there are a hundrend people trying to find a way.

Now, if YOU happen to be in the categor of "desparate" and "naive", guess what?

Most of the ads on Craigslist, that will catch your attention, will be SCAMS!!

IF, you aren't "desparate" and aren't "naive", then guess what?

It is far less likely that you will be drawn to a CL scam.

This is how the world works. Scammers don't try to scam $3000 apts onto people who can afford $5000 apts. NO, they scam $3000 apts onto people who can only afford $500 apts, but desparately hopee there is some miracle apartment/LL awaiting!

SCAMMERS will offer just what you desire, at the price you want and can afford. This is the business the are in. The problem is that, when you are in a low rental bracket, what you desire can never be what you can afford.

Sooo, it is not that the majority of CL ads are scams, it is the reality that the majority of the CL ads YOU are drawn to, are scams.

Get it?

Scams are easy to spot, takes a minute or two. Got my apt off CL!

Let's put it to the test.

Tell us, what are you looking for; and, what ads attracted you and/or were scams?

Old 09-02-2012, 12:48 PM

55 posts, read 127,119 times
Well, the difference between scam and broker can be academic. Most of the ads are posted by companies for apartments 8 blocks away from the neighborhood they say they are that "just got rented" with photos of a different place stretched wide in photoshop. Some are straight-up scammers. I did get my place thru CL though. It works, but you have to be careful. And avoid anything by Rapid Realty. Good luck.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:07 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
There is no single "best." Craigslist is terrific for some things, if used correctly and cautiously, as with all things. It is great for housing, in that it probably has the largest number of listings, and particularly for cheaper apartments where the landlord doesn't want to pay a broker fee. There are a few genuine scams (like Nigerians offering non-existent apartments), and quite a few misleading broker ads (like bait-and-switch which you will find anywhere - those existed even pre-internet). It's up to you to be a cautious shopper.

Same with jobs. I have a friend who hired someone for his small company through Craigslist. On the other hand, again, it's for lower-level jobs. If you hope to get a $100K position as an executive, you won't find it on CL.

As always, probably the most scam-free source is the New York Times, but meager pickings there.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:15 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
There is no single "best." Craigslist is terrific for some things, if used correctly and cautiously, as with all things. It is great for housing, in that it probably has the largest number of listings, and particularly for cheaper apartments where the landlord doesn't want to pay a broker fee. There are a few genuine scams (like Nigerians offering non-existent apartments), and quite a few misleading broker ads (like bait-and-switch which you will find anywhere - those existed even pre-internet). It's up to you to be a cautious shopper.

Same with jobs. I have a friend who hired someone for his small company through Craigslist. On the other hand, again, it's for lower-level jobs. If you hope to get a $100K position as an executive, you won't find it on CL.

As always, probably the most scam-free source is the New York Times, but meager pickings there.
Agreed. i got my current job this way over 7 years ago from the NY Times.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 26,053 times
Thank you to everyone who commented you’ve been very helpful! The reality is I'm not looking for inexpensive apartments in midtown or downtown! I know the reality of it is i’ll end up in harlem! and I know when they say “upper west side” it can very easily mean morning side/harlem, even washington heights. So I’m aware of the scammers and I know what can be a steal or a scam, I just wanted advice from those with experience because I wanted to focus my time and energy to something thats worthy! CL every now and then won’t prove so bad, i guess!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:15 AM

6 posts, read 26,053 times
Oh and if anyone else has advice feel free to continue commenting!

Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Craigslist jobs require payment for posting. My last 2 jobs came from craigslist and at these companies i was also posting on craigslist when we were hiring.

Also wanted to state that theres a difference between a real estate agent and a broker. Its one of those pet peeves that gets me lol. Every broker can be an agent but not every agent is a broker but works for a broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: