Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,103 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am a native Staten Island resident and I am not that familiar with Brooklyn. I spend a lot of time in Manhattan, so I never went to Brooklyn besides passing through the Gowanus or going to my boyfriend's house in Bensonhurst. Well anyway, I have been dating my boyfriend for almost 3 years and we are planning on getting married next year. He lives in Brooklyn, but we never spend any time there at all. We are either in Manhattan or Astoria . So since I am going to be moving to Brooklyn, I would like to get more familiar with the area. I already know my way around, but I am not at all familiar with things to do there. So I would like to surprise my boyfriend and treat him to a romantic evening out.

I have already heard about Peter Luger Steakhouse, but would like some other options.
*Just some info: we don't like any food like Chinese, Sushi, Cajun, etc. or any other "exotic" kind of food. We prefer Italian, French, and Greek food.

Also, besides going to the movies (which neither of us like to do) what else is there to do in Brooklyn? Are there any nice lounges that aren't overcrowded with skanky girls and guido-type of guys? We like low-key kind of places with good music and good drinks.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,241,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElsaK View Post
*Just some info: we don't like any food like Chinese, Sushi, Cajun, etc. or any other "exotic" kind of food. We prefer Italian, French, and Greek food.
So you want to venture to one of the most culturally diverse areas in the US...in search of the immigrant food of 100 years ago?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
So you want to venture to one of the most culturally diverse areas in the US...in search of the immigrant food of 100 years ago?
That is what we like. I'm not going to force myself to eat diverse food if I don't like it and am not interested in it.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,241,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElsaK View Post
That is what we like. I'm not going to force myself to eat diverse food if I don't like it and am not interested in it.
Just breaking your balls. My wife won't eat anything weird either. She's as picky as a toddler.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:28 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,547,188 times
Smith street in Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill has some decent resturants. No club/lounge scene, No guido types- mostly yuppie transplants with kids.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:12 PM

43,758 posts, read 44,531,359 times
I suggest going to Montague Street in Brooklyn Heights (near the Brooklyn Heights Promenade).

Old 08-28-2012, 01:26 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,588,023 times
Try Henry's End

Old 08-28-2012, 01:52 PM

271 posts, read 532,793 times
Does Bubba Gump's have an outlet in Brooklyn?

Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 PM

18,484 posts, read 31,691,492 times
Mulino's on 133 5th ave and Douglass, is the best Italian food in all of Brooklyn

Athena on 6Th ave and 14th street, Best Greek food on earth

TJ's on Smith (Italian) is good also.

actually go to Smith Street, everything is all there, every nationality of food

Old 08-28-2012, 02:40 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,335,310 times
I know you said you're not really into movies, but there is some movie theater that my friend told me about (I think it's in Williamsburg) but they have table side dinner service with movies. She said the food was pretty good. I think the concept is interesting.

I'm also a big fan of Brooklyn Bowl. It's a bowling ally/restaurant/bar/lounge/live music venue. Their food is very good. It's of the classic "All American" variety: Burgers, fires, BBQ Chicken, Fried Chicken, Mac & Cheese, etc. If you check their music schedule, you can pick a night that has an artist or music genre that you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City