Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,003 times

Advertisements

I am going to apply for law school's in NYC next year and I am looking for any info that might be helpful. Places to live that are affordable, best places to grocery shop, things like that. My first choice of schools is Columbia, but I am also applying to NYU, St. John's, Cornell, and Brooklynn school of law. Is it better to live in Queens and commute to Manhattan? A friend of mine also wants to move to NYC so we want to split a 2 bedroom apartment. Also I am from a very small town in Mississippi so I am going to need all the advice and help I can get before I actually get to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 05:33 AM

43,706 posts, read 44,473,033 times
What is your budget for rental? That information would help people give you some useful replies.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 7,003 times
Sorry! I thought I mentioned that. We are trying to pay less than $900 a piece per month for a 2 bedroom but that is a maximum until we can find decent paying jobs. Hopefully in a neighborhood close to one of those colleges I mentioned. I found some cheap apartments in Inwood but Inwood is so far away!! Also I could use some names of good temp agencies. Or any other job agencies that I could go to find work when I first get there.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,400,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_ash10 View Post
Sorry! I thought I mentioned that. We are trying to pay less than $900 a piece per month for a 2 bedroom but that is a maximum until we can find decent paying jobs. Hopefully in a neighborhood close to one of those colleges I mentioned. I found some cheap apartments in Inwood but Inwood is so far away!! Also I could use some names of good temp agencies. Or any other job agencies that I could go to find work when I first get there.
no where in Manhattan, thats for sure

Old 07-13-2012, 09:48 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,147,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_ash10 View Post
I am going to apply for law school's in NYC next year and I am looking for any info that might be helpful. Places to live that are affordable, best places to grocery shop, things like that. My first choice of schools is Columbia, but I am also applying to NYU, St. John's, Cornell, and Brooklynn school of law. Is it better to live in Queens and commute to Manhattan? A friend of mine also wants to move to NYC so we want to split a 2 bedroom apartment. Also I am from a very small town in Mississippi so I am going to need all the advice and help I can get before I actually get to NYC.
You are putting the cart before the horse. You should figure out which school you are going to and THEN find a neighborhood where you can find a 2-bedroom for $1800. It makes no sense whatsoever to be looking for a neighborhood now when you don't know where you will be commuting to.

For example, if you end up at Brooklyn School of Law, you should probably live in Brooklyn, not Queens. If you get into Columbia, you might want to look in neighborhoods that are closer to Columbia.

Same goes for grocery shopping. You will most likely shop in your immediate neighborhood, since you won't have a car. So it makes no sense to be asking where to grocery shop now.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:58 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,696,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You are putting the cart before the horse. You should figure out which school you are going to and THEN find a neighborhood where you can find a 2-bedroom for $1800. It makes no sense whatsoever to be looking for a neighborhood now when you don't know where you will be commuting to.

For example, if you end up at Brooklyn School of Law, you should probably live in Brooklyn, not Queens. If you get into Columbia, you might want to look in neighborhoods that are closer to Columbia. Same goes for grocery shopping. You will most likely shop in your immediate neighborhood, since you won't have a car. So it makes no sense to be asking where to grocery shop now.
Exactly.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:03 PM

77 posts, read 149,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

For example, if you end up at Brooklyn School of Law, you should probably live in Brooklyn, not Queens. If you get into Columbia, you might want to look in neighborhoods that are closer to Columbia.

Same goes for grocery shopping. You will most likely shop in your immediate neighborhood, since you won't have a car. So it makes no sense to be asking where to grocery shop now.
+1.

Also, aside from the fact that they're all in NYC, your list of law schools looks really random . Columbia and NYU are light years ahead of the other NY schools. Fordham comes third, but I wouldn't go there without significant scholarship money. The legal economy is still poor for graduates outside of the T14 (and regional schools that dominate their region, e.g., UT).

Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,722,728 times
Looks like you threw some darts at a map of law schools in NYC. Are you really being serious about this? St. John's isn't anywhere in the same league as Columbia. You left out a whole bunch if all you care about is going to law school in NYC. If you are shooting for NYU, might as well throw in your hat at Fordham. After you have win the lottery and actually get accepted and can pay for it, then start looking at apartments and neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City