Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 06:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times

Advertisements

I don't know if there's been another thread on the same topic, but I thought it would be interesting to see the differences and similarities between streets with the same name in different boroughs. I'll start:

Arlington Avenue, Staten Island vs. Arlington Avenue, Brooklyn

Union Avenue, Brooklyn vs. Union Avenue, Staten Island

Madison Avenue, Manhattan vs. Madison Avenue, Staten Island

Rector Street, Manhattan vs. Rector Street, Staten Island

Echo Place, Bronx vs. Echo Place, Staten Island

Tremont Avenue, Bronx vs. Tremont Avenue, Staten Island

Obviously, I'm using Staten Island examples because that's the borough I'm most familiar with, but you can use examples from the other boroughs (I guess you could use numbered streets if you want. For instance, West 37th Street, Manhattan vs. West 37th Street, Brooklyn).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 06:39 PM

655 posts, read 1,991,792 times
Broadway Brooklyn vs. Broadway Queens

Broadway Manhattan vs. Broadway Bronx, not sure if that counts since it's an extension of the one in Manhattan

Grand Avenue Queens vs. Grand Avenue Bronx vs. Grand Avenue Staten Island

Metropolitan Avenue Queens/Brooklyn vs. Metropolitan Bronx

Clinton Street Manhattan vs. Clinton Street Brooklyn

Henry Street Manhattan vs. Henry Street Brooklyn

Bleecker Street Queens vs. Bleecker Street Manhattan

Fulton Street Brooklyn vs. Fulton Avenue Bronx

Old 06-30-2012, 06:43 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times
W 205th street-Bronx; W 205th street, Manhattan
W 193rd street Bronx; W 193rd street Manhattan
Broadway in Bronx and Manhattan
Park Ave in Bronx and Manhattan
Third Ave in Bronx and Manhattan
Bainbridge Ave Bronx; Bainbridge Street Brooklyn
Quincy Ave Bronx Quincy Street Brooklyn
Post Rd Bronx Post Ave Manhattan

Old 06-30-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
Broadway Manhattan vs. Broadway Bronx, not sure if that counts since it's an extension of the one in Manhattan

Fulton Street Brooklyn vs. Fulton Avenue Bronx
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Bainbridge Ave Bronx; Bainbridge Street Brooklyn
Quincy Ave Bronx Quincy Street Brooklyn
Post Rd Bronx Post Ave Manhattan
The streets should be named exactly the same. So Post Road vs. Post Avenue doesn't count. But, there is a Post Avenue, Staten Island that you could pit against Post Avenue, Manhattan

Old 06-30-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The streets should be named exactly the same. So Post Road vs. Post Avenue doesn't count. But, there is a Post Avenue, Staten Island that you could pit against Post Avenue, Manhattan
gotcha. I wasn't sure if you meant just the same name of streets or their entire name with the avenue, street etc.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:20 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
There is a Broadway in in four of the five boroughs. Bronx has third avenue in Bronx Manhattan and in Brooklyn maybe in queens aswell.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 PM

Also many numbered streets and in Queens and the Bronx street numbers reach the 250s and 260s. I actually thought 271 Street would be the highest number I'd ever see but when I was driving to Mt. Rainier I saw a few street numbers in the 300s.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:28 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I don't know if there's been another thread on the same topic, but I thought it would be interesting to see the differences and similarities between streets with the same name in different boroughs. I'll start:

Arlington Avenue, Staten Island vs. Arlington Avenue, Brooklyn

Union Avenue, Brooklyn vs. Union Avenue, Staten Island

Madison Avenue, Manhattan vs. Madison Avenue, Staten Island

Rector Street, Manhattan vs. Rector Street, Staten Island

Echo Place, Bronx vs. Echo Place, Staten Island

Tremont Avenue, Bronx vs. Tremont Avenue, Staten Island

Obviously, I'm using Staten Island examples because that's the borough I'm most familiar with, but you can use examples from the other boroughs (I guess you could use numbered streets if you want. For instance, West 37th Street, Manhattan vs. West 37th Street, Brooklyn).
Union Avenue, Bronx.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Union+...71.24,,0,-1.54

Union Ave, Brooklyn.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Union+...122.61,,0,6.44

Both are distressed.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 06-30-2012 at 11:24 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
There is a Broadway in in four of the five boroughs. Bronx has third avenue in Bronx Manhattan and in Brooklyn maybe in queens aswell.
What do you mean? There's one in all 5 boroughs. The one in Manhattan continues as the one in The Bronx, there's one in Brooklyn (Williamsburg/East Williamsburg/Bushwick), one in Queens (Jackson Heights/Woodside), and one in Staten Island (West Brighton).

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Union Avenue, Bronx.

Union Ave, Brooklyn.

Both are distressed.
Actually, people on Staten Island consider the SI one distressed. It kind of is, but not at the end I showed (the distressed end is by Richmond Terrace).

Come to think of it, both the Post Avenue in Manhattan and the one on SI are kind of distressed.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:53 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times
Actually, people on Staten Island consider the SI one distressed. It kind of is, but not at the end I showed (the distressed end is by Richmond Terrace).

Come to think of it, both the Post Avenue in Manhattan and the one on SI are kind of distressed.[/quote]

I don't know if Union and Lorimer in Brooklyn is actually a distressed area but it looks kinda bleak in the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City