Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,334,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onePost View Post
well, you're more likely to be robbed there than, say, flatbush..

i mean, think about it just a little.. if you're a thief, would you rather rob rich people/tourists or poor people?
and it's not as if rich nycers live in gated communities etc.
I'm guessing your per capita definition is only taking actual local residents into consideration. Not all the daily visitors that these neighborhoods see day in and day out. There is no reason why Midtown should be higher up on the list than Brownsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 09:36 AM

912 posts, read 2,102,397 times
Yes I feel so much safer in East New York than I do in Midtown

Old 09-24-2013, 11:12 AM

573 posts, read 1,463,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onePost View Post
well, you're more likely to be robbed there than, say, flatbush..

i mean, think about it just a little.. if you're a thief, would you rather rob rich people/tourists or poor people?
and it's not as if rich nycers live in gated communities etc.
I would rather put it like this: Do you have more chance of getting your wallet stolen from your pocket without you knowing it in Midtown than you do in Flatbush ? Yes probably, there is a really huge police presence in these touristic/wealthy parts of Manhattan so you most likely not gonna punch somebody then rob him on Times Square, thats stupid you would get busted in the next 5 minutes. But when it comes to street robberies, or more serious crimes like shootings/muggings/assaults, you can't seriously say Brownsville, Flatbush or that kind of areas are on the same level as the Village. The type of crime that happens in the "hood" is not the same type of crime that happens in Manhattan south of Central Park.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:34 AM

6 posts, read 14,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'm guessing your per capita definition is only taking actual local residents into consideration. Not all the daily visitors that these neighborhoods see day in and day out. There is no reason why Midtown should be higher up on the list than Brownsville.
it's not my definition but yeah, probably something like that.. i.e.- 100k live in midtown while there may be a million that go through there daily.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 14,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
I would rather put it like this: Do you have more chance of getting your wallet stolen from your pocket without you knowing it in Midtown than you do in Flatbush ? Yes probably, there is a really huge police presence in these touristic/wealthy parts of Manhattan so you most likely not gonna punch somebody then rob him on Times Square, thats stupid you would get busted in the next 5 minutes. But when it comes to street robberies, or more serious crimes like shootings/muggings/assaults, you can't seriously say Brownsville, Flatbush or that kind of areas are on the same level as the Village. The type of crime that happens in the "hood" is not the same type of crime that happens in Manhattan south of Central Park.
dunno.. there are publicly available stats out there but it's sort of a lot to wade through.. the link i put up earlier does some of the weeding through but you can research it further

NYPD - Office of the Chief of Department

that's by precinct.. might take a while to look at it all though

still, it'd be better to look through that than to name off neighborhoods which are 'scariest' with little to no more thought about real vs. perceived danger.

[edit- srry.. can't figure out how to post links here.. copy/paste if interested in viewing..]

Old 09-24-2013, 02:29 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,694,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay718 View Post
highest crime rate
University heights
Highbridge
Morrisania
Soundview Specifically around Watson Ave
East NY
Brownsville, #1 IMO
Flatbush within the 67Pct area
Jamaica
Corona
Hollis
Harlem but specifically within the 32 pct area.
Stapleton area of SI.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:15 PM

912 posts, read 2,102,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
University heights
Highbridge
Morrisania
Soundview Specifically around Watson Ave
East NY
Brownsville, #1 IMO
Flatbush within the 67Pct area
Jamaica
Corona
Hollis
Harlem but specifically within the 32 pct area.
Stapleton area of SI.
I'm in Corona all the time, never seems rough.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:24 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,164,695 times
I saw a few mentions of River Park Towers on this thread and googled it out of curiosity. I found an article saying that it had been acquired by Omni and is (was?) a Mitchell Lama complex. I also saw some references to it as housing for "poor people." So is it still Mitchell Lama? I couldn't find it on the list of all Mitchell Lama complexes http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/downloads/pdf/MLLIST.pdf

If they are rentals, how much does it cost to rent there?

Old 09-24-2013, 03:40 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,334,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Yeah, and you can probably also take Hollis off that list if your not going to mention a whole bunch of other brooklyn neighborhoods.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,164,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Corona is fine. It has a few very good restaurants, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City