Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 04:52 PM

48 posts, read 138,476 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in a " Luxury Building" ( far from it though) in Queens NYC. I moved in November 2011 with my gf and pet. When making the decision to move here we knew that they were in the middle of an elevator project but were assured by the leasing office it would be done in March. It was a discussion between my gf & I as we have a large breed dog that needs to go out 4 times a day. We knew it would be a challenge but it would only be for a short time.

In the 7 months I have lived here. I have gotten stuck 2x's and my gf stuck once. Never more then 20 minutes. One time my gf was rushed to emergency room and we had to wait 20 minutes for an elevator with the emts. Thankfully it was nothing serious but what if it was. I had already complained to management about getting stuck but they basically said to me that everything would be fixed shortly please bare with us.

There are four elevators in a 22 floor building. In the time we have lived here there has only been 2 working elevators as the other elevators are being fixed. As of today 2/4 have been repaired and upgraded. The other 2 are in the process.

Now the 2 that have been upgraded are breaking down. I have heard through the grapevine that the elevators installed are for smaller 4-8 floor buildings. Not able to withstand the wear and tear of a 22 floor building. Well today both elevators that have been upgraded both broke down. There was not a working elevator in my building for about 3 hours. I had to walk up 20 flights of stairs twice bc I had important errands to do today. Mind you I have knee chrondromalica in both my knees and stairs are the worst thing for this problem.

For the past two months we have been debating about giving up our deposit and moving into a new building. Money is not an issue but it is an inconveince to move again. After today we are both like ********** why should we take it on the chin.

We are thinking about depositing our rent into an escrow account with a lawyer and let them take us to court for no pay and get in front of a judge. There are supposedly 100s of 311 complaints. We should not be paying 2000 for an apartment that I cant get in and out of and i should not have to lose 2000 on security when this building cant get there act together.

Has anyone gone through a similar situation? I am in real estate so I am sure the attorneys I deal with have a land lord tenant lawyer but I wanted to hear from anyone who had similar experiences.

Would it be slander for me to tell new prospective tenants that they should run for their lives? I cant tell you how bad it is here. All the tenants fight with one another for elevators. People are constantly cutting one another to get in instead of waiting for an elevator.

A day does not go by that I dont wait a minimum of 10 minutes for an elevator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 06:26 PM

208 posts, read 464,782 times
Parker Towers?

Old 05-28-2012, 07:22 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,789,859 times
That's awful! my sympathies..there is no excuse for a building management to act like this..especially for a 22 story building..

Is there a tenant association or some type of group where all the tenants or owners meet to discuss these problems? It may be a good idea to retain a lawyer as a group rather than just yourself (and while I am an attorney I don't deal with landlord/tenant/housing) but I believe you need to prove that the elevators were broken down for a significant amount of time which directly contributed to someone not getting necessary medical treatment amd it resulted in loss of life, etc...this would open the building to negligence lawsuits which I am sure they want to avoid...

Old 05-28-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycangel View Post
Parker Towers?
Bingo

Old 05-28-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
That's awful! my sympathies..there is no excuse for a building management to act like this..especially for a 22 story building..

Is there a tenant association or some type of group where all the tenants or owners meet to discuss these problems? It may be a good idea to retain a lawyer as a group rather than just yourself (and while I am an attorney I don't deal with landlord/tenant/housing) but I believe you need to prove that the elevators were broken down for a significant amount of time which directly contributed to someone not getting necessary medical treatment amd it resulted in loss of life, etc...this would open the building to negligence lawsuits which I am sure they want to avoid...
A women and her 10 month old baby were stuck in the elevator today. The elevator situation is so bad that they have the elevator company living on site for free to deal with the problems, but he must of went to a party bc he was no where to be found. When he returned the women ripped him and he told her if she were a man he would take her outside.

I have a video of the staff acknowledging that both elevators were out and about 30 people (mostly old) in the lobby because they could not walk up. Everyone is talking about not paying there rent anymore. The building has a serious issue on there hands. If I could get my deposit back I would leave tomorrow. But for now we are probably going to stop paying the rent and wait for them to evict us and go to court. An elevator is a vital key to any apartment building. I want some sort of monetary grievance.

I cannot see how a judge would not side with the tenants.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 AM

bump

Old 05-31-2012, 06:44 AM

25,395 posts, read 37,147,769 times
Sounds like the elevator in THE BIG BANG THEORY!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 AM

34,168 posts, read 47,407,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookersnook View Post
I currently reside in a " Luxury Building" ( far from it though) in Queens NYC. I moved in November 2011 with my gf and pet. When making the decision to move here we knew that they were in the middle of an elevator project but were assured by the leasing office it would be done in March. It was a discussion between my gf & I as we have a large breed dog that needs to go out 4 times a day. We knew it would be a challenge but it would only be for a short time.

In the 7 months I have lived here. I have gotten stuck 2x's and my gf stuck once. Never more then 20 minutes. One time my gf was rushed to emergency room and we had to wait 20 minutes for an elevator with the emts. Thankfully it was nothing serious but what if it was. I had already complained to management about getting stuck but they basically said to me that everything would be fixed shortly please bare with us.

There are four elevators in a 22 floor building. In the time we have lived here there has only been 2 working elevators as the other elevators are being fixed. As of today 2/4 have been repaired and upgraded. The other 2 are in the process.

Now the 2 that have been upgraded are breaking down. I have heard through the grapevine that the elevators installed are for smaller 4-8 floor buildings. Not able to withstand the wear and tear of a 22 floor building. Well today both elevators that have been upgraded both broke down. There was not a working elevator in my building for about 3 hours. I had to walk up 20 flights of stairs twice bc I had important errands to do today. Mind you I have knee chrondromalica in both my knees and stairs are the worst thing for this problem.

For the past two months we have been debating about giving up our deposit and moving into a new building. Money is not an issue but it is an inconveince to move again. After today we are both like ********** why should we take it on the chin.

We are thinking about depositing our rent into an escrow account with a lawyer and let them take us to court for no pay and get in front of a judge. There are supposedly 100s of 311 complaints. We should not be paying 2000 for an apartment that I cant get in and out of and i should not have to lose 2000 on security when this building cant get there act together.

Has anyone gone through a similar situation? I am in real estate so I am sure the attorneys I deal with have a land lord tenant lawyer but I wanted to hear from anyone who had similar experiences.

Would it be slander for me to tell new prospective tenants that they should run for their lives? I cant tell you how bad it is here. All the tenants fight with one another for elevators. People are constantly cutting one another to get in instead of waiting for an elevator.

A day does not go by that I dont wait a minimum of 10 minutes for an elevator.
Gotta take this to court. Get the tenants together and file what is called an HP case. I was in L&T for 3.5 years. Take it to Queens Civil Court on Sutphin Blvd, room 103. File your case and take action.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-05-2012, 09:40 AM

We spoke to a couple of lawyers and even rent strike lawyers and for the amount of money it seems like we can get back it does not even sound worth it. We are just going to leave in 4 months

Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,791 times
I'll be moving to Parker Towers this month. I'm getting very nervous because of all these negative reviews. I'm going to be moving to 104-60. What am I going to expect when I get there? I'm really worried about the elevator issues. =(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City