Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 10:26 AM

6 posts, read 13,342 times

Advertisements

I have a Section 8 tenant in S.I, NY who stopped paying rent since March 2010. I have taken her to the housing court and then we made two stipulations of settlements but she failed to move out as of today. Eviction proceeding is still on. My lawyer is scheduled with Marshall to fix a date to kick her out. She once lied to the court by sworn that she is a sole person living in my apartment, in fact, her whole family lives my premises since day one. She totally deceived the court, trying to remove her family members from the eviction lists.

I took a picture from our house today for school bus picking her kids up today and tried to prove that her kids are living with her. Unfortunately, she discovered and called the police.

My question are :

1) Is it caused harassment?
2) Can she sue me for endangering child?
3) What is the consequence if I lose the case?
4) Any suggestions to defense myself if she bring a lawsuit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 11:45 AM

633 posts, read 1,957,195 times
Your tenant is dangerous.
I would have an attorney now and she would most likely be out by now if you had one. I am a landlord here in NJ and sadly in NY and NJ the tenants have in my opinion to much protection, hence power. So again get an attorney now and it will cover everything and associated issues.

Good luck

Old 11-05-2010, 01:43 PM

54 posts, read 110,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKNMC View Post
I have a Section 8 tenant in S.I, NY who stopped paying rent since March 2010. I have taken her to the housing court and then we made two stipulations of settlements but she failed to move out as of today. Eviction proceeding is still on. My lawyer is scheduled with Marshall to fix a date to kick her out. She once lied to the court by sworn that she is a sole person living in my apartment, in fact, her whole family lives my premises since day one. She totally deceived the court, trying to remove her family members from the eviction lists.

I took a picture from our house today for school bus picking her kids up today and tried to prove that her kids are living with her. Unfortunately, she discovered and called the police.

My question are :

1) Is it caused harassment?
2) Can she sue me for endangering child?
3) What is the consequence if I lose the case?
4) Any suggestions to defense myself if she bring a lawsuit?
You see? That's what you get for renting to Section 8 people. Many people on this board keep warning others NOT to rent to Section 8 tenants and this is a prime example (among others) as to why you shouldn't.

Question, how many people are listed on her Section 8 voucher? If she has people living with her that are not on the voucher, she is violating the Section 8 contract and can lose her voucher due to fraud.

I suggest you call Section 8 and find out how many people are on that voucher. If you discover there's more people living with this Section 8 tenant that's not on the voucher, call the Section 8 fraud dept. and report it. Give them details, if you have pictures or video to help your case, submit them.

They will open up a case and investigate. If found guilty, she will lose her Section 8 voucher subside (rightfully so) and from there you can do a holdover to evict the tenant or do a non-payment proceeding since chances are she won't be able to afford the FULL rent now that she no longer has Section 8 paying a portion of her rent. Good luck and remember...NEVER EVER RENT TO SECTION 8/PROGRAM TENANTS DESPITE HOW MUCH MONEY THEY THROW IN YOUR FACE TO ENTICE YOU. IT'S NOT WORTH IT. 9 times out of 10 they turn out to be undesirable tenants.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:18 PM

979 posts, read 4,472,950 times
MKNMC, you're being silly. Where do you think you are? in the Soviet Union!

My question are :

1) Is it caused harassment? No, you're allowed to take pictures on a public street. If you upload them to a pedophile web page you might have a problem.
2) Can she sue me for endangering child? NO
3) What is the consequence if I lose the case? 20 years hard labor in the Gulag.
4) Any suggestions to defense myself if she bring a lawsuit? Insanity

So, what did the cops do anyway?

Old 12-29-2013, 01:44 PM

6 posts, read 6,545 times
You can't judge a program because of one bad apple it is really sad when someone abuse something that's trying to help them that tenant should of been gone she knew exactly what she was doing and the housing program Will not let her get away with that just let them take care of it and your problem will be resolved but don't let this situation discourage you from using the program. Good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City