Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 AM

44 posts, read 110,120 times

Advertisements

If so, how well can you live on that salary?

Here's the background: I'm currently going through some phone interview rounds for a software engineering job at a firm in the financial district. If all goes well and offer provided/accepted, I would like to relocate to Manhattan.

Well, to be honest, and as you can tell, my post is about relocating to NYC, but I didn't want to title it that way because reading so many previous posts from "gullible souls" as new yorkers put it in their responses (lol), I didn't want to sound like one. So here's some info, and please tell me if I'm too crazy to consider such move (i.e. will live poor until 6-12 months later the harsh reality of NYC knocks me out and sends me back home ) OR if i'm on the right track and thinking reasonably. So:

Have I been to NYC before?
Yes - once in summer last year on a business trip, but spent the weekend on my own in Manhattan. Booked a furnished studio around 43rd & 2nd and I didn't mind that area -- I was mostly partying with a woman I met on that trip in different parts of town though..

Where do I live?
Currently in the very quietly boring pacific northwest (no offense), but I grew up in troubled loud and obnoxious cities overseas and visited almost all of major european cities -- so I know the basics of safe/act like a victim and you'll become one/big city challenges...etc.

My personal status?
Single, male, 29 year old, not looking at blending in a wife and kids any time soon. Graduate degree in engineering, experienced engineer.

Salary vs. Expenses:
Will sell my car when I relocate, looks like the salary will shape up to $130k-$135k base. I'm shooting for a studio to 1br with a budget of $1,800 - $2,000 -- Is that reasonable? Other than rent, utilities, food, laundry, internet, cellphone, public trans, and going out on weekends, I don't think I have other expenses. I guess UWS and UES are out of reach for this budget, right? So, what would be your recommendations for areas to narrow my search to? Can you get some decent studio-1br in FiDi for this budget?

So, will I be able to live comfortably/happy in the city? or am I just another eager gullible soul who watched too much Seinfeld?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Yes, you can live reasonably well with rent in the $2000 to $3000 range, more if you live a modest lifestyle and budget well.

You can afford a studio or one bedroom, most anywhere, though the quality will vary. Your money will go furthest in Brooklyn, Queens, Hoboken, Newport, in the suburbs, or with a roommate in any area!

Check some of the old threads discussing budgets.

Btw, yes, you likely have watched tooooo much Seinfeld!

Most of the people who are income limited earn less than $75K and/or have families. Generally, a single earning in the neighborhood of $150K will do well, and could live a limited version of the SexNCity life, as long as you make it to work in the morning!!

Just comprehend, that virtually anywhere else in the country you will have a higher quality of life with a similar income. Though, probably not as much fun!

It also, may be possible to keep your car if you wish, depending upon the living circumstances you choose.

Enjoy!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 AM

87 posts, read 236,210 times
bro. if you're making that much you don't have JACK to worry about. Trust me. I made jack SH** when i first moved to NY - (i moved with 4k cash and no job)
the job i got paid about 600 a month. I went out every night for the first 2 months straight. At one point i was paying 1500 a month for a killer room in a killer apartment.
Yes, I know, the numbers don't add up, a lot of crap happened, but
where there's a will, there's a way.
But again, you got NOTHING to worry about with what you say you'll be making.
and pacific northwest isn't that bad.....it's not nyc, but not bad!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:52 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,049 times
If a single person can live in Manhattan on under $50k (albeit with roommates), it should be a walk in the park for someone with $135k...

Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
How can you be smart enough to land a job that pays 135k and not be smart enough to know that it's enough to survive in ANY city in the United States?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 AM

16 posts, read 22,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
How can you be smart enough to land a job that pays 135k and not be smart enough to know that it's enough to survive in ANY city in the United States?
Well when you look online abd see rents in the 5-7k range you'd probably worry a bit as well. Im not the op, but Ive been looking ay nyc relocation and the rents I saw early in the search were... discouraging.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
It doesn't necessarily take smarts!

All it takes is having the necessary education, skills, and/or experienced which is in DEMAND, in a lucrative industry.

For example, you c/b a 21 year old kid right out of school, with a degreed backgound in certain areas of finance, science, or the law, and receive such an ENTRY level salary. All these kids know is the book learning. They may nothing else about life.

This is real, which may or may not apply to the OP.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
It doesn't necessarily take smarts!

All it takes is having the necessary education, skills, and/or experienced which is in DEMAND, in a lucrative industry.

For example, you c/b a 21 year old kid right out of school, with a degreed backgound in certain areas of finance, science, or the law, and receive such an ENTRY level salary. All these kids know is the book learning. They may nothing else about life.

This is real, which may or may not apply to the OP.
I think StaggerLee22's comment was meant to be tongue and cheek ...

Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 PM

Perhaps, but the OP is concerned about living "comfotably", not simply surviving.

Minimally comfortable is definitely a six figure income with NO children!

Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I could live IMPERIALLY on 135K a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City