Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:54 PM

368 posts, read 391,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittgenstein83 View Post
I've heard that from several folks. One mistake I did when I visited last summer is that I only stayed in Manhattan...I didn't venture out to other boroughs. I'm guessing for someone working in FiDi, Brooklyn is probably 1 or 2 subway stops away from work, right?
The next stop after Wall Street on the 2/3 trains is Clark Street in Brooklyn Heights (a really fantastic neighborhood), while Bloomingdale's on the East side is one stop by subway from Long Island City in Queens. Have you looked at a subway map yet? Here it is:
mta.info | Subway Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 PM

44 posts, read 110,223 times
Thank you! I'll definitely use it as a guidance as i'm looking through different areas.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:04 AM

OP here again, I've been looking through apartment listings, talked to a broker, and friends of friends who live in Manhattan.....So, here's my next question: what's the whole deal with Doorman vs. Non-Doorman buildings? Is a doorman really necessary if you end up renting in a pretty safe area in Manhattan?

Sorry if I opened up one of those huge debatable questions. In this case, point to some good threads on here related to this subject...

Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 AM

119 posts, read 339,527 times
Quote:
OP here again, I've been looking through apartment listings, talked to a broker, and friends of friends who live in Manhattan.....So, here's my next question: what's the whole deal with Doorman vs. Non-Doorman buildings? Is a doorman really necessary if you end up renting in a pretty safe area in Manhattan?

Sorry if I opened up one of those huge debatable questions. In this case, point to some good threads on here related to this subject...
With the money you are making a year,you're obviously to rent an apt in a good neighborhood. To me there is no point of living in a doorman building if you live in the uppereast/west midtown blah blah blah costly apartment. You're basically wasting money to a kid who plays with his cell phone all day to protect the building.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 AM

Interesting lol

the apartments i've been looking at are in the Flatiron district, is it a pretty safe area?

Also, I remember briefly reading through loads of online search results that they do handle stuff like laundry, but then I also read that you have to establish some kind of $$$tips-for-favors relationship with them...is that the case or not?

One the safety issue, personally, even now in my quite safe downtown apartment area in the pacific northwest, I still scout around for few seconds before unlocking any apartment or car door.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:19 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,487 times
135K is a comfortable salary in Manhattan. If you had kids I would say otherwise. But for a single person that is a good amount. Enough to where you are able to go out several times a week, buy nice clothes, and afford an occasional vacation. Basically Manhattan's version of solidly middle class.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,874,686 times
I believe finding a nice studio for $1800 might be hard in nice parts of Manhattan.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,874,686 times
Quote:

Not necessary unless you want someone there when you are getting drycleaning delivered

Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 AM

110 posts, read 300,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Not necessary unless you want someone there when you are getting drycleaning delivered
I'd like a doorman for receiving packages. The UPS always comes at insane hours and my stuff has gotten returned a ton of times. Not to mention you'll have a friendly face always there for you whenever you come and go. I'm definitely trying out a doorman building when my lease is up.

The only thing is those Christmas bonuses... dunno about shelling out that kinda extra cash.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,818,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moccawaii View Post

The only thing is those Christmas bonuses... dunno about shelling out that kinda extra cash.
I hope the OP doesn't feel the same way.
If somebody makes 135k a year and wont give the doorman----THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON WORKING FOR THE BUILDING-- 500 bucks for the holidays, something is messed up.
The doorman is your 'go-to' guy.
He's the one that makes sure your privacy is in tact.
NOBODY keeps secrets better than a well tipped doorman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City