Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:59 AM

314 posts, read 493,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens2QueenCity View Post
Great info. BTW Fordham is an excellent school. I've always had a "crush" on that law school while I was in NYC. Stats show that they are better than most T14 schools in the terms of sending students into BIGLAW pipeline.

I misread the predictor part, and I agree that there is little if no correlation between LSAT and 1L performance. Some people are not good test takers but excel in law school. So the 1L experience is what I thought it would be. How about the competitiveness between students are they hiding books from others? Do Fordham professors use the Socratic method way of teaching? What has been the hardest class for you so far?
competition among students is fierce. everyone knows that your class rank is the decisive factor for your 1L and 2L internships, which greatly impacts your offers. i've never seen/heard of actual sabotage. that would be an ethical violation and would probably get you kicked out, if it were proven. i do know that people will try to disuade their 'friends' in the bottom 20% from dropping out. every person below you is a higher slot for you. if the bottom 20% drop out, then next semester you have to compete against everyone who was in the top 80%. better competition = better chance that you will lose rank.

from what i know, all professors at all law schools use the socratic method, especially in 1L.

each law school will have it's own 'teeth cutting' class. at some it's contracts, at others it's torts. a safe bet is that civil procedure will be a bear, no matter where you go. oddly enough, i really like civ. pro., though....got one of the two "A" grades in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 02:56 PM

470 posts, read 1,708,703 times
straightshooter -

What do you think of Scott Turow's book, "One L"? Is it an accurate depiction of the law school experience?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:00 PM

112 posts, read 649,290 times
the best cuny is baruch ..and not just for business; but overall. obviously, if you're going to do law later on i'm assuming undergrad engineering is out of the question so i'm not even going to get into city college. queens is a good school, with lots of bright students who want to become lawyers in the future who chose to stay in nyc for college for various reasons. the same goes for brooklyn. i wouldn't recommend going to john jay because most of the students who attend that school go there when they couldn't get into the other 4-year cuny colleges and do not want attend community (2-year) schools..unless they have some passion to study criminal justice aka becoming security guards. (actually, i shouldn't say that but i'm trying to paint the picture of the majority of students). um.. hunter is an option. both baruch and hunter have active pre-law societies run by students which are constantly supported by professors. however, baruch has an actual law department. in fact, a business law course is required for all students pursuing a degree in business studies (i've heard it's actually a pretty difficult course there too). i'd go with baruch if you're planning on sticking with cuny. you'll have the most resources in comparison with the other cunys ..more guest speakers concerning law schools/law firms/etc and lets not forget actual professors teaching law courses where you can qualify for a minor. good luck on your hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City