Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,337,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I never thought of NYC as a good city for AAs. Unfortunately the largest concentrations are in deep poverty (or close to) in those neighborhoods. Lack of strong black communities in the inner city (west queens, south bronx, north bk, the popularized neighborhoods).

Compare that to Washington D.C., a city with a strong population of highly educated Blacks in stronghold neighborhoods.

I read in the Times not too long ago 80% of the shootings in NYC were commited by Blacks, population is less then a quarter. I understand the exodus to the southern cities like Atlanta.
The percentage was 60% of the shootings.

Are you talking about that homicide map where the dots represented each homicide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 11:11 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,361,090 times
A lot of Caribbeans move south too. There are a lot in Florida. The AA exodus to ATL is pretty much over. Some are fed up with it and leaving. More popular destinations
Now are NC, TX and FL. AAs were here for decades, did well, and moved on. The ones who remain are somewhat financially polarized.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:51 AM

669 posts, read 1,275,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
A lot of Caribbeans move south too. There are a lot in Florida. The AA exodus to ATL is pretty much over. Some are fed up with it and leaving. More popular destinations
Now are NC, TX and FL. AAs were here for decades, did well, and moved on. The ones who remain are somewhat financially polarized.
I would put FL in the same category as ATL I don't know anybody that still moving down there but I know a few moving back up. A lot of ppl realize the grass is not always greener there's lots of problems down South too.

But to the OP no most blacks in NY are African-American but Caribbeans do make up a huge percentage of the black population.

This is based off of just my experience but I'd say prob like 35% of black ppl I have known or met here are Caribbean another 5% African, and the remaining 60% African American.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:13 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,086,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I never thought of NYC as a good city for AAs. Unfortunately the largest concentrations are in deep poverty (or close to) in those neighborhoods. Lack of strong black communities in the inner city (west queens, south bronx, north bk, the popularized neighborhoods).

Compare that to Washington D.C., a city with a strong population of highly educated Blacks in stronghold neighborhoods.

I read in the Times not too long ago 80% of the shootings in NYC were commited by Blacks, population is less then a quarter. I understand the exodus to the southern cities like Atlanta.
Also note majorty of the guns used in these murders are also from the south.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 AM

669 posts, read 1,275,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Also note majorty of the guns used in these murders are also from the south.
Lol do you have an obsession with stating that fact, I feel like you bring that up when the South is mentioned.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
Lol do you have an obsession with stating that fact, I feel like you bring that up when the South is mentioned.
Lol no. My professor told me about this he was a retired cop, also I was on my way to harlem one time I over heard this guy saying he driving down to NC to buy some gats and bring them back up to city, no joke. I smh anf said to myself how many more black kids are gonna get killed on the streets thanks to one knucklehead gun running back and forth between nyc and the south.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:30 AM

675 posts, read 1,258,415 times
That's a good question because there are probably a good percentage of 2nd and 3rd generation descendants that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I think the answer is yes considering the big major sections of the city where blacks are the majority (North East BX, North Central BK, SE Queens) there is an obvious heavy West Indian presence. 20 years ago just before the southern migration kicked off my answer would of been no

Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,817,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
I would put FL in the same category as ATL I don't know anybody that still moving down there but I know a few moving back up. A lot of ppl realize the grass is not always greener there's lots of problems down South too.

But to the OP no most blacks in NY are African-American but Caribbeans do make up a huge percentage of the black population.

This is based off of just my experience but I'd say prob like 35% of black ppl I have known or met here are Caribbean another 5% African, and the remaining 60% African American.
Thank you... Someone who knows what he's talking about... That whole mass exodus of Black people flocking to areas down south has slowed down and I know of a number of people after leaving deciding that Down South isn't for them whether it be cause of boredom or outright racism down south... I laugh when I see people talk about the racism up here like it's anything comparable to down south... Sure, you have some areas that are fairly mixed down south but the vast majority of the neighborhoods down there are still pretty backwards compared to over here... I knew a friend that got married a couple years ago to a woman from North Carolina and decided to move down South to where she lived in Hickory (He was haitian, she was mixed but looked black) and if you would see the outright racism they experienced when they went to restaurants or walked in public it was pretty disgusting... I remember when we went down there for the wedding me and a few friends of mine went to a steakhouse and we stood in there for five minutes realized the place wasn't for us at all and we left and they had already keyed our car...

Over here sure you have people that have their ill feelings towards black or hispanic folk but they're not gonna call you a n**** or s*** over here because they know better... Down south they just don't care and alot of people that move down there because they feel that the city isn't too accepting of black folk realized how things over here weren't as bad and end up moving back... I know of a few friends of mine that after moving down there ended up hating it and decided to move back... Same thing with some Puerto Rican people that moved to Florida as well...

I'm talking to one guy now who thought Florida was the new place to be for Puerto Ricans but is now considering moving back because he's unhappy down there... When we talk about Blacks and Puerto Ricans leaving this city in droves, you have to talk in past tense because that time has passed... What you see now isn't people flocking to other cities but rather other middle class areas within the city and if there is a case of a black or Puerto Rican family moving down south it is the exception nowadays and not the rule... That exodus movement happened from about 95-08...

Old 04-02-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Thank you... Someone who knows what he's talking about... That whole mass exodus of Black people flocking to areas down south has slowed down and I know of a number of people after leaving deciding that Down South isn't for them whether it be cause of boredom or outright racism down south... I laugh when I see people talk about the racism up here like it's anything comparable to down south... Sure, you have some areas that are fairly mixed down south but the vast majority of the neighborhoods down there are still pretty backwards compared to over here... I knew a friend that got married a couple years ago to a woman from North Carolina and decided to move down South to where she lived in Hickory (He was haitian, she was mixed but looked black) and if you would see the outright racism they experienced when they went to restaurants or walked in public it was pretty disgusting... I remember when we went down there for the wedding me and a few friends of mine went to a steakhouse and we stood in there for five minutes realized the place wasn't for us at all and we left and they had already keyed our car...

Over here sure you have people that have their ill feelings towards black or hispanic folk but they're not gonna call you a n**** or s*** over here because they know better... Down south they just don't care and alot of people that move down there because they feel that the city isn't too accepting of black folk realized how things over here weren't as bad and end up moving back... I know of a few friends of mine that after moving down there ended up hating it and decided to move back... Same thing with some Puerto Rican people that moved to Florida as well...

I'm talking to one guy now who thought Florida was the new place to be for Puerto Ricans but is now considering moving back because he's unhappy down there... When we talk about Blacks and Puerto Ricans leaving this city in droves, you have to talk in past tense because that time has passed... What you see now isn't people flocking to other cities but rather other middle class areas within the city and if there is a case of a black or Puerto Rican family moving down south it is the exception nowadays and not the rule... That exodus movement happened from about 95-08...
Of course migration to the south has slowed but not stalled, don't forget the country is still in a recession, people tend to move less in an econonmic downturn and less not forget the subprime mortgage mess in the south, just look at Florida for example. Where ever blacks move they are always going to get some sort of negativity. Id be surprised or even shocked if an AA moves out of the trigger happy hood of bx or Bk to trigger happy baptist south with mcmansions and so forth and then ends up moving back to trigger happy hoods of nyc. But I heard of a few moving back up north. 2010 census did its damage to nyc already. This is why I agree with exodus height of 2008 that's when the economy also tanked forcing some to remain in nyc. There is a correlation to everything. But when the economy picks up or if ever does migration will pick up again. Only for now people with degrees are the ones mostly moving about.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 AM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
I would say that MOST blacks in NYC are NOT from the Carribbean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City