Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,816 times

Advertisements

Was wondering what other folks do for Halloween. The parade is too much of a zoo to attend IMO.

In the Fordham area there are very few trick or treaters door to door. Most of the kids (in cute costumes) and their parents visit the local stores which give out candy. But I'm disappointed at not having too many kids ringing the doorbell--guess it's not considered safe anymore. The small local Irish bar does not even put up decorations.

Do you get trick or treaters in your areas? What do you do, if anything, to celebrate--parties, bars, clubs, etc--esp when Halloween falls on a weekday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 09:34 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,634,126 times
For trick or treating, we like to go to Woodlawn (we have friends there.) It's mostly single-family houses up there so it's a real traditional Trick or Treat. It's good to go the the Botanical Gardens for the show also...I think its called a Haunted Walk--it's very theatrical.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:49 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,816 times
Thanks Yodel. I think they didn't have that last year, but hopefully this year. The Zoo also has Boo at the Zoo, but I don't think that's as elaborate.

Anyone been to the Pier of Fear on the West Side of Manhattan?

Old 09-13-2007, 05:12 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,642,696 times
We live in a huge apartment building and every year the doorman gives out stickers for those who welcome trick-or-treaters. Most people put it up on their door and there are lots of kids going around. I think it's nice because this way people who don't want to participate don't get bothered. There's also a party for the residents in the community room.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:27 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,908 times
If I'm working from home or off that day and it's nice I just sit outside and hand out the candy because of the volume of kids. i have been twice to the parade and while it's interesting to look at, it's too crowded.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:59 AM

314 posts, read 492,953 times
waaaaay back in the day we used to give out candy to kids in BK. however, that has long since changed. unfortunately, halloween has become much less about little kids in costumes and more about teenagers taking advantage of the anonymity offered by a mask to wreak havoc. random people getting egged, fires started, cars being vandalized, stick-ups....this is what halloween means to me in BK these days.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:08 AM

448 posts, read 1,588,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
waaaaay back in the day we used to give out candy to kids in BK. however, that has long since changed. unfortunately, halloween has become much less about little kids in costumes and more about teenagers taking advantage of the anonymity offered by a mask to wreak havoc. random people getting egged, fires started, cars being vandalized, stick-ups....this is what halloween means to me in BK these days.
your from Bayridge what do you know?? Are you a cop or something??
I grew up in ENY and I can remember Halloweens back in the late 80's, they were fun times, now a days you rarely see kids running around asking for candy.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
your from Bayridge what do you know?? Are you a cop or something??
I grew up in ENY and I can remember Halloweens back in the late 80's, they were fun times, now a days you rarely see kids running around asking for candy.
ok. i'm not from bay ridge. i live in bay ridge. i'm from bensonhurst. no, i'm not a cop.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:37 AM

448 posts, read 1,588,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
ok. i'm not from bay ridge. i live in bay ridge. i'm from bensonhurst. no, i'm not a cop.
ok....just didnt picture bayridge or bensonhurst to be the kind of place where thuggish ruggish behavior occurs.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
ok....just didnt picture bayridge or bensonhurst to be the kind of place where thuggish ruggish behavior occurs.
well, i'll give you that b-hurst ain't ENY. what is? but, b-hurst definitely has its own thing going on. when i was growing up, the old italian blocks were moving out. all the better 20-30 yr olds started moving out. the only people left were vinny pots-and-pans and joey big shoes. don't get me wrong. some of them were good people. but, there was a reason why they stayed while all their childhood friends left. also, a new demographic started moving in. the neighborhood went to into serious decline within 10 years. i definitely didn't have the ENY experience (thank God), but this thread was about Halloween in particular. that day still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City