Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 AM

9 posts, read 38,285 times

Advertisements

Hi:
Is it a good idea to buy a condo in parkchester? Several posts in craigslist give very low price, too good to believe.
I'll appreciate your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 09:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Parkchester condos go for what you are seeing. They are very affordable.

It all depends if you like Parkchester. Are you familiar with the area.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:54 AM

Thanks, NooYowkur81.
Actually I have never been to parkchester.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingchenbo View Post
Thanks, NooYowkur81.
Actually I have never been to parkchester.
Well you better go check it out before you make any decisions. Also is it inside the complex or the neighborhood? Big difference.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Hustla718

Thank you, Hustla718

I enjoyed reading your previous posts and they are very helpful.
Do you mind telling more about the difference btw "inside the complex" and the neighborhood? I lived in E97th street and knew little about NYC

Old 09-12-2007, 11:27 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingchenbo View Post
Thank you, Hustla718

I enjoyed reading your previous posts and they are very helpful.
Do you mind telling more about the difference btw "inside the complex" and the neighborhood? I lived in E97th street and knew little about NYC
Inside the Parkchester complex is so-so. It has it's problems but it's doable if your single. Problems are maintaince, lack of schools, age of apartments, type of neighbors. Crime does happen. Muggings, shootings, ect but they are less common inside the complex then the surrounding area.

Now the surrounding neighborhood is a dump. Go west of the complex and the area is drug infested (Archer Street for example). Go south and you will find the same thing. North (Van Nest) isn't the greatest right now, has declined a lot. East (Westchester Square) is on a decline.

Just check it out first for yourself. See what you think about the place.

Last edited by Hustla718; 09-12-2007 at 11:44 AM..

Old 09-12-2007, 01:02 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
I live there. The entire complex is affordable.

I live in the South and prefer the South. A few reasons:
1) closer to the subway.
2) grounds maintained better
3) lower common charges

Both the South and the North have spacious apartments. A year ago, I would have said the North was about 20-30K less, making it more affordable, but the entire complex has gone up in value a tiny bit since then. But it's still affordable.

Maintanance is NOT a problem. There is one public school and a few catholic schools in the area. All of the apartments are renovated (plus plumbing and wiring and windows). And depending on who you buy a unit from, he/she/they may have hooked up their spot well for sale (or course, a home/building inspection is needed to confirm).

But check the neighborhood out for yourself, look at various units and see what you like and don't like. With regard to the surrounding areas, I've had no problems, but still, use common sense.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:31 PM

8 posts, read 91,233 times
Parkchester is a nice area and very well maintained by the Parkchester Service Department. Of course in areas, you have certain people who seemed not to care how their neighbor looks. There are plenty of schools (public and private), banks, supermarkets, restaurants, playgrounds. The Parkchester Recreational Center always has summer concerts, movie night, and activities for the children. During the Christmas season, the Oval (center of Parkchester) is lit up with Holiday items. They have the tree lighting with the store vendors contributing.

Its what you make it.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:22 PM

196 posts, read 779,340 times
Is this place like the projects in a way?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:58 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edrican View Post
Is this place like the projects in a way?
No, definitely no.

But I could see how someone could make that mistake. You see some ghetto people around and buildings that all look the same, right away you think the projects.

It's just an apartment complex. It's very similar to Stuyvesant Town in design because it was built by the same developers.

It's not even a mitchell lama which people confuse with projects all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: