Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,742 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I am a young professional who is relocating to Queens/Brooklyn from Rochester. I was wondering if anyone could give me a list of neighborhoods in Queens/Brooklyn that are very safe and fun for a male in their early 20's. Money is not an issue right now so if someone could provide some information for me that would be awesome. Suburban or urban neighborhoods, it does not matter.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 04:05 PM

43,749 posts, read 44,521,335 times
In Queens, Astoria & Forest Hills.
In Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights & Park Slope.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 PM

400 posts, read 984,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgushue View Post
Hey Guys,

I am a young professional who is relocating to Queens/Brooklyn from Rochester. I was wondering if anyone could give me a list of neighborhoods in Queens/Brooklyn that are very safe and fun for a male in their early 20's. Money is not an issue right now

Thanks
Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Park Slope, Brooklyn

Hunters Point, QUeens
Astoria, QUeens.

Lets see how fast Money is not an issue right now lasts. Let us know.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,158,795 times
How much are you willing to spend on rent? This is important. If you look at the NY Times rentals you would see that there are apartments renting in some Brooklyn neighborhoods for $15,000 a month. Granted, this is not the average price, but it's important that you have some idea of the market before you say money is not an issue. Unless you really are a zillionaire, in which case I take it back.

In Queens I would recommend Astoria. In Brooklyn: Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Park Slope, Carroll Gardens.

I personally don't think Forest Hills would be fun for someone in his 20's.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:39 AM

100 posts, read 249,017 times
My niece who is in her late 20's lives in Astoria and loves it. There is racial, ethnic, age, and religious diversity. The area's subway makes travel to Manhattan painless and there are many rental units available. The area is safe and has a variety of restaurants, bars, and shops all in walking distance. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:59 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,820,052 times
sunnyside and woodside are good too

Old 01-27-2012, 01:13 PM

38 posts, read 80,527 times
Brooklyn:
Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Dumbo, Park Slope

Queens:
Astoria, Hunters Point/waterfront area of LIC, Sunnyside

EDIT: If money is no issue, what about Manhattan?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:16 PM

168 posts, read 338,944 times
Hands down, Forest Hills or Fresh Meadows.
Not everyone wants to live in Manhattan.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:18 PM

168 posts, read 338,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgushue View Post
Hey Guys,

I am a young professional who is relocating to Queens/Brooklyn from Rochester. I was wondering if anyone could give me a list of neighborhoods in Queens/Brooklyn that are very safe and fun for a male in their early 20's. Money is not an issue right now so if someone could provide some information for me that would be awesome. Suburban or urban neighborhoods, it does not matter.

Thanks

Your title said affordable but your post says money is not an issue. Not sure what that means.

Either way, you can find nice places in Forest Hills and Fresh Meadows, Bayside - all in Queens. There is something in these areas for different budgets. Fresh Meadows and Bayside have more green. Forest Hills and Bayside have more to do - nice restaurants, shops, etc.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:03 AM

44 posts, read 48,944 times
Default Agreed

Forest Hills may not be for you, while it is safe and a short commute to midtown, it is quiet and not necessarily fun for 20somethings. I feel like the majority is 30/40somethings with kids and elderly. But if you're willing to commute to have "fun" (depending on what that is), it's a good place to live in general.

Astoria and Long Island City may be more your speed. Brooklyn Heights also doesn't seem very young, but park slope might be better for you, or Williamsburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: