Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:46 AM

174 posts, read 415,562 times

Advertisements

My daughter would be freaked out by that teacher!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 AM

81 posts, read 176,075 times
When ears are stretched to that extent you can't really just "take them out" without looking like even more of a freak. I think your best bet is just to dress professionally otherwise and as others have said focus on applying at companies with a more young, creative focus (of which there are many in nyc).

To be honest your biggest problem is not going to be your appearance but the fact that new college grads looking for graphic design jobs in NYC are a dime a dozen. Focus on your portfolio/ internships/ etc. and make sure your work speaks for itself or "barista" may very well be in your future.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:57 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,994,642 times
A fiend of mine is the hipster type (ear guaged, multiple tattoos, full beard, black plastic glasses, slim fit everything) and even though he is very well put together, people still judge him based on looks. That is until they hear him speak and get taken aback by his intelligence. One you get to know him it's no surprise he works where he works.

NASA.

There are people like my friend above everywhere.

As long as your intellect and portfolio can outshine the poor judge of character the interviewer may have (though they shouldn't in a place as diverse as NYC) you should be golden.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:59 AM

88,767 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
A fiend of mine is the hipster type (ear guaged, multiple tattoos, full beard, black plastic glasses, slim fit everything) and even though he is very well put together, people still judge him based on looks. That is until they hear him speak and get taken aback by his intelligence. One you get to know him it's no surprise he works where he works.

NASA.

As long as your intellect and portfolio can outshine the poor judge of character the interviewer may have (though they shouldn't in a place as diverse as NYC) you should be golden.
I agree that it shouldn't matter, and NYC is used to all sorts of people walking around. I remember asking for help in the Barnes & Noble at Union Square, and the salesperson took me right over to the obscure book I was looking for and hadn't been able to find and then asked me if I was interested in others of a similar subject that she knew of. After I'd checked out, I reflected on the fact that the salesperson had sapphire-blue hair and looked as if she'd fallen face-first into a tackle box, but it didn't faze me at the moment. She knew what she was doing and what was on her bookstore's shelves.

Unfortunately, interviewers do judge based on appearances and their reaction may vary depending upon the culture of the company. And in fairness, no one puts huge plugs in their earlobes or metal in their face because they don't want anyone to look at them.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,419,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post

NASA.

First of all- bravo to your friend, very impressive.

I will say perhaps NASA would be ok with it... but perhaps a more "client-facing job" may not be. Graphic design might be ok b/c it's artsy, but if the OP was trying to get a finance job, I don't think the whole tattoo & piercings thing would go over so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City