Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,248,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
I am not sure what kinda car you have and whether you are putting a lot of stuff in it, but I just shipped mine and flew here. It is a long drive.
We actually are selling both our cars and just moving with a small box moving truck. Perfect for two people and our little dog. We have just enough stuff to make it stupid to sell all our stuff and move their without it, plus I have no interest in flying my dog anywhere. So when we get there we will definitely be carless...sort of. The friend we will be living with does have a car that we will have access to and I have been told Archie Cab is a flat rate anywhere in Bayonne.

The trip will actually be pretty nice cause I have done this cross country drive before, so I have it broken up in stops and should take us about 9 days to do with a layover for a day or so to see my parents and a 3 day stop in Chicago to spend some time there and catch a Cubs game.

You are definitely right about the whole not hiring people that don't live there, I haven't even bothered to look for any entry level job in architecture because there would be no way I would be able to get anything like that when most places would rather just give it to someone local than to wait for someone to move there. The way it is now, my fiance has some really good leads and contacts with friends that she has in NYC now, so she will more than likely find work before I do.

This has definitely been a plan that has been in motion since last summer, which having done this cross country move before and realizing how many things can go wrong with it, I am definitely looking at much more things this time around and doing things a lot better than I did before, so if everything stays close to the course, this should be a fairly smooth move and transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: