Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:33 PM

50 posts, read 127,078 times

Advertisements

Hello

I may be moving to NYC this summer for a job transfer and needed advice on brooklyn neighborhoods that are cheap and close to Manhattan where I will be working.

I am doing research on craigslist and have found a reasonable apartment in the area of crown heights. for $900/month

Does anyone live in this area and can tell me more about it? Its on nostrand avenue & empire blvd. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to moving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 02:59 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,298,337 times
Have you ever been there before? You do know that Crown Heights is one of the worst neighborhoods in all NYC, right?

Old 12-29-2011, 03:02 PM

510 posts, read 2,250,837 times
We need more info. What size place are you expecting? What are you looking for in a neighborhood? What are your interests? I'd have a hard time recommending Crown Heights to anyone. The sub-$1000 apartment search comes up on here often and if you want a decent neighborhood close to Manhattan (inner ring Brooklyn) for that price your best bet is to room with someone.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,987,259 times
That's a bad area.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:08 PM

12,342 posts, read 17,278,672 times
Crown heights is close to the city, But not safe. You need to be able to go to the store, Or out at night without being tense. Not worth it.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:23 PM

573 posts, read 1,469,909 times
That location is south west Crown Heights (last door before Flatbush i guess), a friend's relative lives a few blocks further north and according to him it's not exactly the perfect definition of a "safe place", even though he said that block is far from being the worst in CH. On a general scale, Nostrand is mostly a commercial strip so it's a bit more crowded than the rest of the area, which is the kind of aspect that can make the OP feel more comfortable.

However like a lot of posters say on the forum, safety is a matter of personal feeling so basically go check the area by yourself and see how you feel walking down the block at several different hours of the day and night would be a good move before taking your decision.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:55 AM

961 posts, read 2,477,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *StarDustBreeze* View Post
Hello

I may be moving to NYC this summer for a job transfer and needed advice on brooklyn neighborhoods that are cheap and close to Manhattan where I will be working.

I am doing research on craigslist and have found a reasonable apartment in the area of crown heights. for $900/month

Does anyone live in this area and can tell me more about it? Its on nostrand avenue & empire blvd. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to moving

Its not all that bad, there are worse areas in Crown Heights, however, there are better blocks in that neighborhood, but not at that price. That block is especially bad during J'ourvet, the night before Labor Day. I know because I participated in this mess. But if I were going to suggest living in Crown Heights I say the closer to Eastern Parkway the better.

The problem with the block you're going to is not so much crime; though there is some. Its just that that block is just so dirty and dumpy with very little to offer in amenities unless you go up the hill toward Eastern Parkway. I have family here and I personally hate Empire blvd. Even a little further south in "Lefferts Gardens" is a little better. But $900 is a fair price though.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:09 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,273,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *StarDustBreeze* View Post
Hello

'Safe' is going to be relative to your background. If you are from say places like Camden, Detroit, Oakland areas then yeah Crown Heights aren't going to be seem bad to you.

Whereas if you are from quiet, and nice 'burbs from midwest then no, it's going to suck for you and not feel safe at all.

For $900 bucks, it's going to be tough to find a place near city that's going to be 'safe'. Personally I recommend if your budget is that low that you find a roommate and up your budget bit more.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 PM

19,194 posts, read 14,261,115 times
In the $900 range, you might also want to look on the north shore of Staten Island, depending on where you are working in Manhattan.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:48 PM

50 posts, read 127,078 times
Thanks Everyone.I am From The East Coast As Well So Not Too Much Of A Change But I Will Look Into Finding a Room Mate. What Area Do You Recommend Then?

Last edited by *StarDustBreeze*; 01-03-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City