Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:33 PM

58 posts, read 186,075 times

Advertisements

My friend is planning on moving to New York , but before she does, she wants to learn some things about New York and find a place where she can start searching for a place to live. She was in New York before ( a few years ago ) and she found two places that are definitely perfect for her, she just cant decide which one is better, safer and more beautiful.

So we would like to know more about Chelsea and Upper East Side, where are some good places to live and how different they are. Oh and she would love to know - biking around NY, having a car or with a taxi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 01:14 PM

168 posts, read 523,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanjaBelieve View Post
My friend is planning on moving to New York , but before she does, she wants to learn some things about New York and find a place where she can start searching for a place to live. She was in New York before ( a few years ago ) and she found two places that are definitely perfect for her, she just cant decide which one is better, safer and more beautiful.

So we would like to know more about Chelsea and Upper East Side, where are some good places to live and how different they are. Oh and she would love to know - biking around NY, having a car or with a taxi?
Given that she's found places in the past, I'm assuming that she knows the price-points in these areas and that she can afford both of them. If she's young, likes to go out and wants a chic downtown scene, Chelsea, hands down. If she's older, and wants a quieter more "debutant" scene, then UES. If she's not wealthy, well then it really doesn't matter, because she'll live in a small crapbox and really won't be able to enjoy either neighborhood in full.

Re biking -- in Chelsea she would have amazing access to the west side bike trail along the hudson. UES would make for a less picturesque and serene biking environment, but she'll be fine. No need for a car in either neighborhood unless she wants to pay $600 / month to keep it parked 95% of the year...

Both areas are probably equal in terms of safety, with Chelsea having a few rougher edges. Depending on how far up she is in the UES (i.e. once you go north of 96th) things start to get less picturesque. Chelsea is more urban + industrial, while UES is townhouse row. Beauty is a matter of preference.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
Given that she's found places in the past, I'm assuming that she knows the price-points in these areas and that she can afford both of them. If she's young, likes to go out and wants a chic downtown scene, Chelsea, hands down. If she's older, and wants a quieter more "debutant" scene, then UES. If she's not wealthy, well then it really doesn't matter, because she'll live in a small crapbox and really won't be able to enjoy either neighborhood in full.

Re biking -- in Chelsea she would have amazing access to the west side bike trail along the hudson. UES would make for a less picturesque and serene biking environment, but she'll be fine. No need for a car in either neighborhood unless she wants to pay $600 / month to keep it parked 95% of the year...

Both areas are probably equal in terms of safety, with Chelsea having a few rougher edges. Depending on how far up she is in the UES (i.e. once you go north of 96th) things start to get less picturesque. Chelsea is more urban + industrial, while UES is townhouse row. Beauty is a matter of preference.
Thank U for your answer. Well right now her only, lets say problem, is finding a safe place. Do you know a site with realestates where she can start searching for a place?

Old 10-14-2011, 12:34 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
Quote:
Thank U for your answer. Well right now her only, lets say problem, is finding a safe place. Do you know a site with realestates where she can start searching for a place?
How much is she willing to spend on rent???

Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
How much is she willing to spend on rent???
I wouldnt know that, but let me say that, she kinda has a daddy that will do anything for her, so yeah, she has money hehe

Old 10-14-2011, 03:46 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
Quote:
I wouldnt know that, but let me say that, she kinda has a daddy that will do anything for her, so yeah, she has money hehe
If that's the case, Upper West Side, Battery Park should be added to her list. Try Trulia

Old 10-14-2011, 04:28 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Let the jeaoulsy/ hatred begin.

I'm not a big fan of NYC but I'm a big fan of Chelsea.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:29 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
If she's young and single, Chelsea. Also consider other hoods like Murray Hill, Gramercy, East Village, Union Square area, and Lower East Side.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:37 PM

15 posts, read 27,051 times
Oh, she has to be Ms. Bradshaw coming back to the Apple then I guess?

Old 10-14-2011, 05:43 PM

15 posts, read 27,051 times
Quote:
Also consider other hoods like Murray Hill
Nah, I'd rather say places like Morrisania, ENY, Bedstuy and Rockaway. Might save her a bob or two, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City