Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 06:00 AM

76 posts, read 298,892 times

Advertisements

I am about to move into a studio condo that does not have central AC. Since the best feature of the condo is the view, I am reluctant to install a window AC unit. Can anyone recommend an alternative? Will a portable AC unit work as well? Is the window exhaust duct that portable units require difficult to install? Are there inconveniences to a portable unit that I may not anticipate?

Thank you for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 06:48 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree1 View Post
I am about to move into a studio condo that does not have central AC. Since the best feature of the condo is the view, I am reluctant to install a window AC unit. Can anyone recommend an alternative? Will a portable AC unit work as well? Is the window exhaust duct that portable units require difficult to install? Are there inconveniences to a portable unit that I may not anticipate?

Thank you for the advice.
They are easy to install. The newer models arent as big and cumbersome and many now come on caster wheels. They still tend to be rather big and will take up space in your apartment. They also dont work as well as a comparable window unit.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:54 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,788 times
Portables don't work as well as window units, but it's true that they don't block your window so much.

If the condo will allow it, you could have a split zone ductless unit put in (basically central air with no ducts). Those are great. Quiet, efficient, don't block windows. But you need to have either exterior wall or patio space to put an outdoor condenser, which may or may not be an option for you.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:34 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,664 times
I bought a Frigidaire portable unit and I'm mostly happy with it. It cools the room very quickly and removing the ventilation hose from the window is a snap. I hate the way window A/C units look from the outside. It's inevitable that they get pigeon crap and grime after just a few months.

The one drawback is that mind is fairly loud. It doesn't bother me when I sleep but I generally turn it off to watch TV.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,407 times
Portable AC works great but make sure you have sufficient BTU. Also while portable don't take up real estate of your window, it does take real estate of your floor and unsightly due to hose for exhaust and just fact that it's just sitting on your floor.

In addition, it is louder than window ac and during days with high humidity, you will need to dump out excess water. Even the best units with good self-evaporating built in.

Overall, if you are planning to stay there long time. I'd just get window. If not and you are planning to be moving around, portable is good to go.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:12 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
I don't know HOW they get away with the rating on these in-room units. I have never seen one that put out anything CLOSE to the advertised BTU's. I strongly recommend against these monstrosities unless someone is stuck in a basement.

retiree,
Is there any way you can cut a sleeve "through the wall" to preserve your windows. I know that buildings usually balk any any installation that will deface the facade.

Failing that I recommend one of those low profile units that only come about a foot from the windowsill... it will preserve most of your view.

This Carrier model is only 8 inches high...but PRICEY.
http://ac-review.com/files/products/378_large.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-27-2011 at 06:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City