Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:48 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious here. I've heard some people on here say they like to just get on a subway, ride for awhile then get off. What would be subway stations that you would recommened them not getting off at?

Also, is there a particular line that usually has more problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 10:50 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
You mean they ride for a while without a particular destination in mind and then randomly get off? I guess some tourists do that to see different parts. I don't know anyone that does that personally.

Certainly some neighborhoods are less safe, especially at night, if that's what you mean? Especially if you are unfamiliar with the area and just wondering around.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
The subway stations with the highest crime rates are all in midtown Manhattan.Union Sq,42nd St ,Penn Station,23rd St .Penn station is the worst.

New York Subway Safety - accidents, crashes, suicides and deaths

An excerpt:
"The most dangerous stations in the New York Subway system are, surprisingly, in many affluent areas of the city. In 2005 and 2006, the largest numbers of reported assaults occurred at the West 4th station, Penn Station, 2nd Avenue Station, Grand Central Station, and the 86th Street and 125th Street stations on the East Side -- but even those were very small numbers when compared to the total amount of travelers in the New York Subway System - which totals over 4 million a day. Homicides and rapes in the subway are, thankfully, extraordinarily rare. Not surprisingly, most criminal incidents occur at the busiest stations, where there are the most people. Analyzing criminal incident data from the last 10 years, the 23rd Street stations at Broadway and 6th Ave have had the single worst most shocking incidents - Penn Station has experienced the highest amount of incidents per subway traveler, giving it the most dubious accolade of most dangerous station in the New York Subway System - having said that, walking along any street in New York City may have a higher risk."

Old 08-31-2011, 01:10 PM

84 posts, read 277,386 times
Any high crime neighborhood I would avoid. But why would you get off someplace without having a destination in mind?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:11 PM

84 posts, read 277,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The subway stations with the highest crime rates are all in midtown Manhattan.Union Sq,42nd St ,Penn Station,23rd St .Penn station is the worst.

New York Subway Safety - accidents, crashes, suicides and deaths

An excerpt:
"The most dangerous stations in the New York Subway system are, surprisingly, in many affluent areas of the city. In 2005 and 2006, the largest numbers of reported assaults occurred at the West 4th station, Penn Station, 2nd Avenue Station, Grand Central Station, and the 86th Street and 125th Street stations on the East Side -- but even those were very small numbers when compared to the total amount of travelers in the New York Subway System - which totals over 4 million a day. Homicides and rapes in the subway are, thankfully, extraordinarily rare. Not surprisingly, most criminal incidents occur at the busiest stations, where there are the most people. Analyzing criminal incident data from the last 10 years, the 23rd Street stations at Broadway and 6th Ave have had the single worst most shocking incidents - Penn Station has experienced the highest amount of incidents per subway traveler, giving it the most dubious accolade of most dangerous station in the New York Subway System - having said that, walking along any street in New York City may have a higher risk."
In all my years of living and working in tNew york I have never had an issue at any of the stations in midtown.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:56 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
In all my years of living in East Harlem, I have never had an issue with crime in the area. Does that mean there is no issue with crime in East Harlem? Because you spent 200 years with no problem with Midtown stations, does that mean there is no issue with crime in Midtown stations?

Your comment was pointless Franci.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancieNolan View Post
Any high crime neighborhood I would avoid.
How can any NY'er avoid "any high crime neighborhood" when 2 out of the 10 consistently highest crime precincts in the whole city are Midtown North and Midtown South ? Not surprisingly these areas also have the highest crime subway stations.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:10 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,588 times
from what ive heard saratoga & rockaway ave stations in brownsville are pretty shady, anyway ive never been to nyc so my opinion don't really count, this is just a suggestion ...

Old 08-31-2011, 04:54 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
from what ive heard saratoga & rockaway ave stations in brownsville are pretty shady, anyway ive never been to nyc so my opinion don't really count, this is just a suggestion ...
I was thinking perhaps a tie between that, any station on the Franklin Ave. Shuttle and a few of the southernmost Bronx stations on the 6 line (and maybe that same thing on the 2/5, but north of 149th).

Old 08-31-2011, 05:06 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,588 times
Talkin about Franklin Ave, i have read a while ago on this forum that it was still one major weed spot in brooklyn so, IMO the logic would be that the dealers try to keep a certain degree of safety in the area so the business keeps goin on because if customers get snuffed or robbed as soon as they get off the train... that would be a commercial suicide literally!!^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City