Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,634,823 times

Advertisements

Because it's so easy to get to any part of the city by subway, there really isn't any such thing as a 'station to avoid.' Anyone--and by anyone, I mean anyone with the intention to cause some kind of trouble--could be anywhere. It doesn't make a difference if the station happens to be located in a poor or wealthy part of town. If it's late at night and the station looks fairly well deserted, then a good move would be not to exit the train there!

I'll say this much: I can relate to the notion of taking subway rides around New York completely at random. I've done that for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 04:25 AM

573 posts, read 1,463,487 times
true statement

Old 09-01-2011, 06:27 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,634,823 times
That's why I find all those "is this part of town safe" threads so hilarious.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:34 AM

573 posts, read 1,463,487 times
^^ hum on this point i can understand people worrying about their safety when they know they gonna walk through some bad reputed area, but i agree on the "is it safe taking this or that train" threads...

Old 09-03-2011, 07:07 PM

42 posts, read 201,181 times
If you live and work in NYC and every once in a while have to visit a place outside of your cultural enclave like myself, there is never really a station to avoid. If I have to get something done in that area, it is what it is. It's not about so called "safety". $hit happens everywhere, so don't kid yourself.

To me, the stations to avoid are the ones that never provide the service they are designed for - a freakin' train! Or the ones where the metrocard machines are out of order or the jacked up turnstiles rip you off. Or how about any station on the 4/5/6 line where there's standing room only at rush hour and a train never arrives on time in the AM? Or 34th Street Herald Sq Rat Zoo where the rodents run wild on the B/D platform amongst passengers. Get real. If I could, I'd avoid ALL NYC subway stations, but then I'd be missing out on what truly makes NY.

With that said, I must admit though my LEAST favorite stations for a number of reasons are 42nd Grand Central, 42 Times Square, Canal Street, E. 125th 4/6, 2nd Ave F Train (WEIRDOS!), any station on the L train line, and any station where a terrorist attack would make a really huge impact.

Someone quoted from this article in the thread that describes safety concerns in the stations and makes note of the affluent area stations having high crime. I don't know how much affluence is a factor in addition to high traffic/low traffic - those affluent area stations also happen to be high traffic stations.
New York Subway Safety - accidents, crashes, suicides and deaths

Old 09-03-2011, 10:52 PM

810 posts, read 838,268 times
A better question, which stations have the less amount of homeless, felons asking for money, aspiring rappers, kids hustling stolen candy bars, failing high school/middle school students, rambling preachers, police that search bags, loud hood women/girls, men that do nothing but stand without taking the train, and roving drummers/guitarists.

That's the difference between a comfortable ride and one were you constantly have to be annoyed and stressed.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,880,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's why I find all those "is this part of town safe" threads so hilarious.
Indeed , But i also find the statements that Transit brings more crime into the suburbs then Highways to be hilarious

Old 09-03-2011, 11:45 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,925,705 times
Any of the trains stations along Livonia Avenue in East New York/Brownsville. Also the Atlantic Avenue L train station. Area is 100% hood.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:51 AM

357 posts, read 728,258 times
oh, look!

It's another thread of people scaring themselves to death.

Especially the fear of some of the simple stations in the city.

The only ones to be slightly concerned about are the ones with long corridors, abandoned platforms, hidden walkways, etc.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:30 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,061,253 times
Well, keep in mind that those midtown stations have the most passengers/foot traffic. As a result, there are going to be more crime incidents. The article even mentions that in the first sentence of the excerpt posted by bluedog. Only Penn Station seems to be legit due to the article mentioning it as tops in incident per traveler.

As to particular stations, I'd say any in low-income, high crime neighborhoods. I can speak for my 183rd stop on the 4, in which there is always shady people standing by asking you to swipe them in. Stepping out of the train and you're in what some like to call an underworld. Recently, I've heard that the 182nd-183rd stops on the D had teen gang members following, harassing, and robbing passengers as they stepped out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City