Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 02:02 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,292 times

Advertisements

I am planning on transferring with my company to NYC ( Columbus Circle) soon. I am scared away by NYC prices and was looking for other places to live... I like NYC but I can live with visiting and not LIVING there....

My main concern is commute time ! I would like it to be no more than like 20 minutes... So a friend recommended that I live in Union City

NOW .. I know its not Hoboken and it could be seen as trashy to others.. I am fine with this . I am a person of Latino origin and don't mind this. My main concern like i said is commute time ... would this be an easy commute to Colombus Circle ??? Time range .. ??

THANKS !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 02:21 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Union City will not be a 20 minute commute to Columbus Circle Manhattan. It will likely be twice as long becuase you will have to take a bus and even with express lanes, rush-hour traffic through the Lincoln Tunnel will be brutal. And once here you'd have to take a subway or walk up 8th Ave to 59the st. Honestly, the areas only 20 minutes away from Columbus Circle are all going to be pretty pricey anyway. I think you'll have to either adjust your expectation of travel time or bite the bullet and live in the city somehwere.

If you are looking for neighborhoods with a Latino flair, there are many in the city where you might feel comfortable, not have the 'big city' intensity of Manhattan, find a decent place and still have a relatively short commute. Most of them will be in Queens, I'd guess. Perhaps other posters here who know Queens better than I do can fill you in.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:31 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Union City will not be a 20 minute commute to Columbus Circle Manhattan. It will likely be twice as long becuase you will have to take a bus and even with express lanes, rush-hour traffic through the Lincoln Tunnel will be brutal. And once here you'd have to take a subway or walk up 8th Ave to 59the st. Honestly, the areas only 20 minutes away from Columbus Circle are all going to be pretty pricey anyway. I think you'll have to either adjust your expectation of travel time or bite the bullet and live in the city somehwere.
This is seconded. It'll be at least 40 min commute each way. Punch in door to door address from Union city, nj to columbus circle ny, ny in google maps and this will give you an idea. Commute will not be easy from Union city what so ever at all.

While rent will most likely be more expensive to live in city and you may need to get rid of yoru car. But if it's pure commute, then you'd are better off biting the bullet and living in city. If that's not an option, Queens is much better place than Union city, NJ. For example, if you lived near Queensboro plaza, you can hop on N, Q and get to 57st stop then walk it. This is more likely 20 min commute each way and probably 30min because you have to wait for subway and all that. In return it's easier to keep a car in Queens and you don't have to pay for NJ transit & MTA. Although NYC income tax will definitely be greater than paying for NJ transit but car insurance should be cheaper in queens than union city nj.

Good luck.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:47 PM

166 posts, read 443,808 times
As others have mentioned, commute will be a pain. I used to frequently visit friends in Union City on the weekends and waiting for the express bus was a chore! I think you would prob. find similiar prices to Union City in some neighborhoods in Queens.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:36 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
For a shorter commute look along Boulevard East on the Jersey side of the Hudson.

Buses travel continuously along the Blvd into the Port Athority bus terminal at 42nd and 8th. From there its a short subway or bus ride to Columbus Circle.

For a 20 minute NJ commute, you need to live within walking distance of a NJ Transit bus stop, train station, and/or PATH train. Then you need to work within walking distance of the terminals in Manhattan. Even at that you'll likely be looking at a 30-45 minute morning commute.

If you don't want to or can't pay the price you're going to have get used to a longer commute, which is pretty normal. Non-Manhattan, non-trendy Brooklyn and Queens including New Jersey, generally means a 45-60 minute commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: