Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:36 PM

18 posts, read 155,950 times

Advertisements

I recently was contacted for an intervew for a lottery apartment that I applied for a while ago but now my house hold size has changed. On the initial application it was me, and two other family members above 18 yrs old. Now the two family members will not be moving with me but my 9 yr old niece whom I do not have custody of will be. My question is what documentation will they ask me to produce besides what is listed on the list they send you? The list really does not say anything about guardianship papers or anything. So if I show up with just her social security card & birth certificate will that satisfy the requirements? Please help. I really need to qualify for a 2 bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 09:41 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,364,779 times
ask them they will know better then a bunch of people on a forum.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:58 PM

My interview is very soon and there is know way for me to ask them except when I go in for the interview. I would rather have all my documentation on hand so I can move my process along not have them waiting for paperwork. I have been through the lottery apartment process in the past but that was when it was just me. First person to get all whats needed, is the one that gets the apartment offer if they qualify. So ppl on this forum may have had the same situation or work for an agency that rent out lottery apartments or even have a wealth of knowledge about what the hdc require besides what is listed on their website. I need all the info I can get. I will determine what advice is worth taking.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:11 PM

well unless someone here works for them then we really dont know for sure how they are going to react to your change of information RIGHT?????????? SO why don't you call themm and find out instead of asking a bunch of people who are not affiliated and will give you all kinds of answers some of which may be wrong. Why end up losing this when you can make the smarter choice and contacting them directly and finding out from someone who works there. And dont tell me there is no number to call because there is.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:36 PM

If you did not have any info to provide there was no need to reply to the post . I can seek info in which ever way I choose. I'm not the first person going through this process so it is possible that a person on this forum would know what documentation is needed to prove house hold size.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 PM

FYI this is a public forum! IF it was private then that be another story plus you're replying to my posts. BTW I gave you very good advise CALL THEM AN ASK and get a accurate answer then asking people who do not work for that agency! COMMON SENSE!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:43 PM

PS.. maybe you should move back to atlanta like you stated in the other thread since you are so lonely by yourself in NYC.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:03 AM

25,401 posts, read 37,156,668 times
You are going to have trouble with your neice. Since the differences in cost between a Studio, 1 BR, and 2 BR is small, EVERYONE want the big ones.
So these companies have seen all to often a person dragging along a relative to get a larger place only to lose the person when the apartment is assigned.

You had best have proof of support for your neice over some reasonable amount of time in the pat, any sort of court action giving you any rights over her, any money you receive for caring for her, etc.

A good rule of thumb is to bring EVERYTHING...if you don't need it paper isn't very heavy.

Quote:
So if I show up with just her social security card & birth certificate will that satisfy the requirements?
My guess it will NOT.

Another "rule" almost all go buy is that 2 people of the same sex are entitled to a 1 bedroom apartment and I don't know your sex.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,700 times
hey! all my friends, how i can get lottery apartment application from?
please, tell me!

Old 05-26-2012, 05:58 AM

25,401 posts, read 37,156,668 times
You have to write to each individual building's owners when the building is first advertised. This developer will then keep you on his list for future buildings and mail you applications readily.

Start by sending a postcard to THE RELATED COMPANIES and requesting current applications.
That is probably the biggest developer that almost ALWAYS builds 80/20 housing (20% affordable) but there are others.

Keep looking in the classified section of the papers.
You'll have to double check the current address but back in 2004 it was:

RELATED MANAGEMENT COMPANY
AFFORDABLE HOUSING PROGRAM- Request List
245 Eighth Avenue
PO Box 143
NY, NY 10011

Alternatively, check online for HPD's list of affordable apartment that will direct you to offereings and where to write for applications:

HPD - Apartment Seekers - Current Housing Lotteries

You can request they e-mail you as soon as another building/complex offers affordable new apartments.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-26-2012 at 06:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City