Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 07:50 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,266 times

Advertisements

Hello,

A new rental community opened around the corner of Hoyt and Schermorn and literally is on top of the A/C/G subway stop. I asked a friend how the area is and she said that it's very shady. I've been there during the day once and it seemed OK and quiet but not very shady(a little though). Seems very accessible with most subway lines all within a half mile.

Obviously, it'll be best to check out the neighborhood various times of the day but if any of you live over in that area or know it very well, how would you rate the general area? It's pretty close to Smith street so there seems to be some amenties over there but how is it overall in terms of crime and convenience? We won't move until October but will start checking out neighborhoods.

Thanks.

PS, the Michael Jackson video BAD was filmed in that subway station, I guess this is an interesting fact, ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 08:17 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,057 times
hoyt/sch was actually a safe point for me.. because i knew after that i was going straight to the hell part of brooklyn :-/
but its fine..less people there at the stop
but i rather get off there than say kingston throop or ralph ave.
and someone told me that it BAD was filmed there (i love michael) the subways look so much cleaner than with the white tile and all lol

Old 07-02-2011, 08:22 PM

113 posts, read 291,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
I asked a friend how the area is and she said that it's very shady.
Can you define what you (or your friend) mean by "shady"? I'm assuming that she didn't mean that there were lots of trees and plenty of shade.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjap View Post
Can you define what you (or your friend) mean by "shady"? I'm assuming that she didn't mean that there were lots of trees and plenty of shade.
Shady as in seedy, some "questionable" characters according to her. She grew up suburban, I grew up in a tough neighborhood in Chicago so it's subjective.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:04 PM

113 posts, read 291,675 times
Quote:
Shady as in seedy, some "questionable" characters according to her. She grew up suburban, I grew up in a tough neighborhood in Chicago so it's subjective.
I would say that your friend has brought her suburban sensibilities to an urban environment. It's not the area that's out of sorts, it's her sensibilities.

Downtown Brooklyn is a busy, commercial area. It's not tony shopping like Madison Avenue, and it's full of working people who are mostly "of color". If you're uncomfortable being surrounded by lots of brown folks who are blue collar working class, then you'll probably not be particularly happy there, but there's nothing particularly "shady" about the area.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:40 PM

87 posts, read 204,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjap View Post
I would say that your friend has brought her suburban sensibilities to an urban environment. It's not the area that's out of sorts, it's her sensibilities.

Downtown Brooklyn is a busy, commercial area. It's not tony shopping like Madison Avenue, and it's full of working people who are mostly "of color". If you're uncomfortable being surrounded by lots of brown folks who are blue collar working class, then you'll probably not be particularly happy there, but there's nothing particularly "shady" about the area.
Now this is a great, sensible post! What is it about these out of towners and Brooklyn anyway? Some of them want to dive head first into the most horrible ghettos in the Northeast, while others get nervous about stable, working class areas like Downtown and Flatbush simply because there are lots of black people around! Is there any happy medium here?

Old 07-03-2011, 07:36 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
I wouldn't call the area around Hoyt & Schermerhorn Streets "shady." It's not thoroughly residential...although that could change!

Incidentally, a lot more than Michael Jackson's video was shot in that subway station. The two outer platforms (which have been abandoned since 1946) have been used hundreds of times for commercials, as well as subway scenes in movies. If there's a scene being filmed there and your timing is right, you'll find lots of people taking the A,C or G to Hoyt/Schermerhorn and just standing around on the platform, hoping to catch sight of a star.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:30 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,037 times
I use to live 10 minutes walking from there. The area is perfectly fine, although it may not look like the safest place in the world. And that's primarily because Fulton Mall attracts certain types of people to the area (homeless, low income, thugs etc). I've never had a problem walking through the mall at any time, going between Flatbush and Court St.

As far as convenience, like most of Brooklyn, it's only attraction and value is the proximity to Manhattan. The stores on Smith are nice/ok for Brooklyn standards.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
As far as convenience, like most of Brooklyn, it's only attraction and value is the proximity to Manhattan. The stores on Smith are nice/ok for Brooklyn standards.
Ouch.

Anyway, i'm a person of "color" too so obviously that doesn't bother me but I want the peace of mind that my wife will be mostly safe while coming from work, etc.

Interesting fact Fred about that subway station.

Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming.

I'll pay another visit there next week.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:20 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,037 times
Quote:
Ouch.

Anyway, i'm a person of "color" too so obviously that doesn't bother me but I want the peace of mind that my wife will be mostly safe while coming from work, etc.

Interesting fact Fred about that subway station.

Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming.

I'll pay another visit there next week.
As a person of color too...the area is safe, it just appears to look a little rough. But there is quite a strong police presence in and around the mall because of all the rowdy kids there late nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City