Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:02 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkBorough View Post
Nice neighborhood but be warned...Even though it's safe and the buildings are historic it's still a very harsh looking place in its own way! Don't expect Berkeley in San Fran or Grosse Point in Detroit, just because it is well off now. It very much looks like an old, city neighborhood! Fine by me but not for everybody!
You call this 'harsh'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 01:23 PM

87 posts, read 204,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
You call this 'harsh'?
Yes! Big, brick and foreboding---urban. What I meant is that because people read about all of the amenities and that it's a little ways from Manhattan they assume it has a feel like, I don't know, Kew Gardens? I've heard this kind of disappointment more than once. Like I said I like Park Slope but it's more city-like than the stuff transplants read about it leads them to believe. That's all!

Old 06-21-2011, 02:11 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkBorough View Post
Yes! Big, brick and foreboding---urban. What I meant is that because people read about all of the amenities and that it's a little ways from Manhattan they assume it has a feel like, I don't know, Kew Gardens? I've heard this kind of disappointment more than once. Like I said I like Park Slope but it's more city-like than the stuff transplants read about it leads them to believe. That's all!
Hmmm.... Mebbe.

This is the first time I've heard Venetian Gothic architecture described as 'foreboding'.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:31 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Park Slope Pro
1. Considered best neighborhood in NYC
2. Shops, amenities, Prospect Park
3. great transportation options (15 minutes to city)

Park Slope Con
1. Expensive
2. Lack of racial diversity over years
3. Condo glut!
Let me modify Con 2.....Lack of class diversity as well as racial diversity over the years!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 10 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
excellent points, the pastpresentandfuture...

Park Slope is one of those areas that got "gentrified" in a short period of time...Great because it made the area safe and more community oriented/vibrant/attractive to all sectors of the NYC population, but bad because prices are through the roof for lower middle income households.
Thanks.

I also liked your posts about Park Slope, Brooklyn and you make good points too about Park Slope.

Which years do you think Park Slope got gentrified, more higher income, more racially integrated, and becoming more community oriented/vibrant/attractive to all sectors of the NYC population?

I thought Park Slope was like that for a long time like since the 1970s or even earlier than that. But is it really more recent than that?

However, what seems recent without doubt is the racial integration in Park Slope. This seemed to happen in the past few years and since the early 2000s.

Yeah, since Park Slope is such a desirable neighborhood I am worried that prices will go up in Park Slope. But at this point, it seems more affordable than most areas of Manhattan. I hope it stays that way and prices don't go up.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:40 PM

337 posts, read 969,177 times
It's like a small midwestern or west coast town. And most of the residents are from the midwest or california.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:19 PM

215 posts, read 519,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
It's like a small midwestern or west coast town. And most of the residents are from the midwest or california.
Is this good or bad?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
However, what seems recent without doubt is the racial integration in Park Slope. This seemed to happen in the past few years and since the early 2000s.
What do you mean by racial integration? Since the early 2000s is when I say it became less racially diversed all together.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:14 PM

82 posts, read 175,693 times
Beautiful neighborhood.
My family moved there after coming from Puerto Rico. Unfortunately it got too expensive and we ended up befriending the nycha.
You should go and check it out for yourself its really nice.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:56 PM

518 posts, read 825,984 times
Very bad neighborhood. It was nice back when I grew up there. It was mostly working class Irish and Italian. Then the hideous "Brownstoners" came in the mid to late sixties and pushed out the street gangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City